Private network backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Private network backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; First off, I am using Backup Exec 9.1 v4691. I am attempting to backup a server on a private network (192.168.0.0) from a different network such as 10.0.0.0. because I only have a single tape drive. I've ran through the ...

  1. Private network backup

    First off, I am using Backup Exec 9.1 v4691.
    I am attempting to backup a server on a private network (192.168.0.0) from
    a different network such as 10.0.0.0. because I only have a single tape drive.
    I've ran through the Logon Account Wizard but when attempting to choose a
    backup location, I cannot see the machine. I try to configure "User-defined
    selections" and manually point BEX to the proper location and run the backup,
    I get a logon error.

    Any ideas or is it not possible? Much appreciated.

    Regards,
    Karman

  2. Re: Private network backup

    Karman wrote:
    > First off, I am using Backup Exec 9.1 v4691.
    > I am attempting to backup a server on a private network (192.168.0.0) from
    > a different network such as 10.0.0.0. because I only have a single tape drive.
    > I've ran through the Logon Account Wizard but when attempting to choose a
    > backup location, I cannot see the machine. I try to configure "User-defined
    > selections" and manually point BEX to the proper location and run the backup,
    > I get a logon error.
    >
    > Any ideas or is it not possible? Much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Karman

    Unless you've told your routers how to do it, 'You can't get there from
    here' (read with stereotypical New England accent) Private IP addresses
    are non-routable by default.

  3. Re: Private network backup

    Can you ping from the target server to the media server by IP and by machine
    name, and vice versa?

    Are these networks separated by a router or a switch?'

    "Karman" wrote in message

    > First off, I am using Backup Exec 9.1 v4691.
    > I am attempting to backup a server on a private network (192.168.0.0) from
    > a different network such as 10.0.0.0. because I only have a single tape

    drive.
    > I've ran through the Logon Account Wizard but when attempting to choose a
    > backup location, I cannot see the machine. I try to configure

    "User-defined
    > selections" and manually point BEX to the proper location and run the

    backup,
    > I get a logon error.
    >
    > Any ideas or is it not possible? Much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Karman

  4. Re: Private network backup

    You CANNOT backup mapped drives - You can only backup local drives, unless
    you connect to a RemoteAgent running on the remote machine.

    And why reply to me, rather than the original poster? I'm not having the
    problem, I'm trying to help.

    "robert" wrote in message

    > Have you tried mapping a drive to the server you want to backup. This

    might
    > help narrow down your problem. If you can backup the server through the

    mapped

    > drive.

  5. Re: Private network backup

    "ken putnam" wrote:
    >Can you ping from the target server to the media server by IP and by machine
    >name, and vice versa?
    >
    >Are these networks separated by a router or a switch?'
    >

    >"Karman" wrote in message
    >>
    >> First off, I am using Backup Exec 9.1 v4691.
    >> I am attempting to backup a server on a private network (192.168.0.0)

    from
    >> a different network such as 10.0.0.0. because I only have a single tape

    >drive.
    >> I've ran through the Logon Account Wizard but when attempting to choose

    >> backup location, I cannot see the machine. I try to configure

    >"User-defined
    >> selections" and manually point BEX to the proper location and run the

    >backup,
    >> I get a logon error.
    >>
    >> Any ideas or is it not possible? Much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Karman

+ Reply to Thread