Problems after updating to BEX 9.1 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Problems after updating to BEX 9.1 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Having an Windows2003 with Exchange 2003 Server. Always when trying to backup the Exchange Information Store, I'm getting an error messeage that's sounds in english like this: Error: \ could not be opened - another process is trying to backup ...

  1. Problems after updating to BEX 9.1

    Having an Windows2003 with Exchange 2003 Server.

    Always when trying to backup the Exchange Information Store, I'm getting
    an error messeage that's sounds in english like this:

    Error: \ could not be opened - another process is trying to backup - database
    or part of the database is corrupt

    Sorry, I'm getting the message in german so I tried to translate, hier is
    the original Error-message:

    Sichern - \\Serv-01\Microsoft Information Store\Erste Speichergruppe Fehler:
    \ kann nicht geöffnet werden - wird gerade von einem anderen Prozeß gesichert.
    Datenbank oder Datenbankelement ist beschädigt

    Exchange works fine...

    Anybody an idea, what to do ?!

    Thanks

    Oli

  2. Re: Problems after updating to BEX 9.1

    Oliver Jarc wrote

    on 12/30/2003 12:41 AM:

    > Having an Windows2003 with Exchange 2003 Server.
    >
    > Always when trying to backup the Exchange Information Store, I'm getting
    > an error messeage that's sounds in english like this:
    >
    > Error: \ could not be opened - another process is trying to backup - database
    > or part of the database is corrupt

    Hi!

    Happens to me too right after upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1

    Here is an entire error log from Exchange IS backup:

    --------
    Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by
    another process.
    WARNING: "\\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage
    Group\Mailbox Store (TRISYSMAIL)" is a corrupt file.
    This file cannot verify.
    Database or database element is corrupt
    Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by
    another process.
    WARNING: "\\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage
    Group\Public Folder Store (TRISYSMAIL)" is a corrupt file.
    This file cannot verify.
    Database or database element is corrupt
    Log Files
    Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by
    another process.
    WARNING: "\\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage
    Group\Log files" is a corrupt file.
    This file cannot verify.
    Database or database element is corrupt
    --------

    Exchange 2003 running on Windows 2003 server.
    Backup was working fine before this upgrade.

    I've tried a separate job to backup only IS to File folder - worked fine.

    One thing I've noticed:
    in 9.0 order of backups for this server was (from successful job):
    1. \\TRISYSMAIL\Shadow?Copy?Components (this is what was System State
    in w2k)
    2. \\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
    3. \\TRISYSMAIL\D: DataVolume
    4. \\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes

    After upgrade to 9.1 (from failed job):
    1. \\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
    2. \\TRISYSMAIL\D: DataVolume
    3. \\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
    4. \\TRISYSMAIL\Shadow?Copy?Components

    So, System state now is being backed up as last step and there is no way
    of changing this.
    I've tried to re-order this for tonight's job, will see what happens...

    Dmitry Gromov
    Trisys, Inc.

  3. Re: Problems after updating to BEX 9.1

    Maybe you have a corrupt log.file (one of the E00*.log-files)

    I had about 100 of them, because I did not backup the Exchange-database.

    This has been rrepaired with help from www.msexchangefaq.de and several
    hours of studying KB-articles.

    Nicolas Nickisch
    "Dmitry Gromov" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Oliver Jarc wrote
    >
    > on 12/30/2003 12:41 AM:
    >
    > > Having an Windows2003 with Exchange 2003 Server.
    > >
    > > Always when trying to backup the Exchange Information Store, I'm getting
    > > an error messeage that's sounds in english like this:
    > >
    > > Error: \ could not be opened - another process is trying to backup -

    database
    > > or part of the database is corrupt
    > >

    > Hi!
    >
    > Happens to me too right after upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1
    >
    > Here is an entire error log from Exchange IS backup:
    >
    > --------
    > Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by
    > another process.
    > WARNING: "\\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage
    > Group\Mailbox Store (TRISYSMAIL)" is a corrupt file.
    > This file cannot verify.
    > Database or database element is corrupt
    > Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by
    > another process.
    > WARNING: "\\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage
    > Group\Public Folder Store (TRISYSMAIL)" is a corrupt file.
    > This file cannot verify.
    > Database or database element is corrupt
    > Log Files
    > Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by
    > another process.
    > WARNING: "\\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage
    > Group\Log files" is a corrupt file.
    > This file cannot verify.
    > Database or database element is corrupt
    > --------
    >
    > Exchange 2003 running on Windows 2003 server.
    > Backup was working fine before this upgrade.
    >
    > I've tried a separate job to backup only IS to File folder - worked fine.
    >
    > One thing I've noticed:
    > in 9.0 order of backups for this server was (from successful job):
    > 1. \\TRISYSMAIL\Shadow?Copy?Components (this is what was System State
    > in w2k)
    > 2. \\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
    > 3. \\TRISYSMAIL\D: DataVolume
    > 4. \\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
    >
    > After upgrade to 9.1 (from failed job):
    > 1. \\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
    > 2. \\TRISYSMAIL\D: DataVolume
    > 3. \\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
    > 4. \\TRISYSMAIL\Shadow?Copy?Components
    >
    > So, System state now is being backed up as last step and there is no way
    > of changing this.
    > I've tried to re-order this for tonight's job, will see what happens...
    >

    > Dmitry Gromov
    > Trisys, Inc.

  4. Re: Problems after updating to BEX 9.1

    Nicolas Nickisch wrote

    on 1/3/2004 3:37 AM:
    > Maybe you have a corrupt log.file (one of the E00*.log-files)
    >
    > I had about 100 of them, because I did not backup the Exchange-database.
    >
    > This has been rrepaired with help from www.msexchangefaq.de and several
    > hours of studying KB-articles.

    Hi!

    No, I don't think I have anything corrupt - if you read my message,
    you'll see:

    > I've tried a separate job to backup only IS to File folder - worked fine.

    But thank you very much for your reply anyway!

    Dmitry Gromov
    Trisys, Inc.

  5. Re: Problems after updating to BEX 9.1

    I belive you have selected the open file optio with a lock.
    Uncheck the open file option. it should work

    Dmitry Gromov wrote:
    >Oliver Jarc wrote
    >
    > on 12/30/2003 12:41 AM:
    >
    >> Having an Windows2003 with Exchange 2003 Server.
    >>
    >> Always when trying to backup the Exchange Information Store, I'm getting
    >> an error messeage that's sounds in english like this:
    >>
    >> Error: \ could not be opened - another process is trying to backup - database
    >> or part of the database is corrupt
    >>

    >Hi!
    >
    >Happens to me too right after upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1
    >
    >Here is an entire error log from Exchange IS backup:
    >
    >--------
    >Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by
    >another process.
    >WARNING: "\\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage
    >Group\Mailbox Store (TRISYSMAIL)" is a corrupt file.
    >This file cannot verify.
    >Database or database element is corrupt
    >Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by
    >another process.
    >WARNING: "\\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage
    >Group\Public Folder Store (TRISYSMAIL)" is a corrupt file.
    >This file cannot verify.
    >Database or database element is corrupt
    >Log Files
    >Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by
    >another process.
    >WARNING: "\\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage
    >Group\Log files" is a corrupt file.
    >This file cannot verify.
    >Database or database element is corrupt
    >--------
    >
    >Exchange 2003 running on Windows 2003 server.
    >Backup was working fine before this upgrade.
    >
    >I've tried a separate job to backup only IS to File folder - worked fine.
    >
    >One thing I've noticed:
    >in 9.0 order of backups for this server was (from successful job):
    >1. \\TRISYSMAIL\Shadow?Copy?Components (this is what was System State
    >in w2k)
    >2. \\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
    >3. \\TRISYSMAIL\D: DataVolume
    >4. \\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
    >
    >After upgrade to 9.1 (from failed job):
    >1. \\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
    >2. \\TRISYSMAIL\D: DataVolume
    >3. \\TRISYSMAIL\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
    >4. \\TRISYSMAIL\Shadow?Copy?Components
    >
    >So, System state now is being backed up as last step and there is no way

    >of changing this.
    >I've tried to re-order this for tonight's job, will see what happens...
    >

    >Dmitry Gromov
    >Trisys, Inc.

  6. Re: Problems after updating to BEX 9.1

    jhon wrote

    on 1/5/2004 1:57 AM:
    > I belive you have selected the open file optio with a lock.
    > Uncheck the open file option. it should work

    Sorry... Wrong guess... Double-checked - "Without a lock" is selected.
    And again - job was working in 9.0 and does not work in 9.1 without any
    other change.
    Also... I'm not sure this lock setting affects Exchange agent - it
    should work differently, using Exchange API. I can clearly see event log
    messages from Exchange when IS is being backed up.

    > Dmitry Gromov wrote:

    Dmitry Gromov
    Trisys, Inc.

+ Reply to Thread