BackkupExec doesn't stop backing up - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BackkupExec doesn't stop backing up - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a problem with BackupExec SBS 8.6 running on Windows SBS 2000. We installed BackupExec in 2001 and apart from a few teething problems everything worked fine until November this year. When I come in in the morning the ...

  1. BackkupExec doesn't stop backing up

    I have a problem with BackupExec SBS 8.6 running on Windows SBS 2000. We
    installed BackupExec in 2001 and apart from a few teething problems
    everything worked fine until November this year.

    When I come in in the morning the backup is still running (9pm start - 12
    hours there have been occasions where it's taken 58 hours over a weekend).
    I have to cancel the backup. Checking the job log reveals the following
    error message
    =========================
    Media mount failed.
    User cancelled a Physical Volume Library operation.

    Backup completed on 11/12/2003 at 09:04:03 .
    Backed up 130126 files in 4366 directories.
    1 file was in use
    Processed 8,604,601,827 bytes in 3 hours, 8 minutes, and 46 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 43.5 MB/min
    =========================
    We have 5 backup sets and BEX seems to have problems on the 4th set
    (partition d: - all the companies data files). The 5th set is
    \\W2KServer\System ?State. Checking the tape inventory reveals that a
    random file seems to be the last one backed up (sometimes in D:\User Shared
    Folder, mainly the D:\url cache\dir1.cdat). To protect the organisation I
    have been running a separate immediate backup job to keep a copy of the
    critical files which work with no problems. It doesn't seem to matter which
    tape I use for the scheduled or immediate backup so I assume that the tapes
    are OK. By running an immediate backup rules out a faulty drive.

    Has anyone any ideas as to where I can look for a solution to this problem?

    Thanks
    Tony

  2. Re: BackupExec doesn't stop backing up

    What kind of tape drive?
    What capacity tapes?

    Is it possible that there is an alert to insert a new tape?
    That is, is it possible that the tape is filling up??

    "Tony Wainwright" wrote in message
    > I have a problem with BackupExec SBS 8.6 running on Windows SBS 2000. We
    > installed BackupExec in 2001 and apart from a few teething problems
    > everything worked fine until November this year.
    >
    > When I come in in the morning the backup is still running (9pm start - 12
    > hours there have been occasions where it's taken 58 hours over a weekend).
    > I have to cancel the backup. Checking the job log reveals the following
    > error message
    > =========================
    > Media mount failed.
    > User cancelled a Physical Volume Library operation.
    >
    > Backup completed on 11/12/2003 at 09:04:03 .
    > Backed up 130126 files in 4366 directories.
    > 1 file was in use
    > Processed 8,604,601,827 bytes in 3 hours, 8 minutes, and 46 seconds.
    > Throughput rate: 43.5 MB/min
    > =========================
    > We have 5 backup sets and BEX seems to have problems on the 4th set
    > (partition d: - all the companies data files). The 5th set is
    > \\W2KServer\System ?State. Checking the tape inventory reveals that a
    > random file seems to be the last one backed up (sometimes in D:\User

    Shared
    > Folder, mainly the D:\url cache\dir1.cdat). To protect the organisation I
    > have been running a separate immediate backup job to keep a copy of the
    > critical files which work with no problems. It doesn't seem to matter

    which
    > tape I use for the scheduled or immediate backup so I assume that the

    tapes
    > are OK. By running an immediate backup rules out a faulty drive.
    >
    > Has anyone any ideas as to where I can look for a solution to this

    problem?

    > Thanks
    > Tony

+ Reply to Thread