Installing BEWS9.1 on Win2k3 Server with SQL 2000 Results in Read Only Database that will not activate - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Installing BEWS9.1 on Win2k3 Server with SQL 2000 Results in Read Only Database that will not activate - Veritas Backup Exec ; Trying to install Backup Exec for Windows Servers V 9.1 onto the following system Windows 2003 Server Enterprise SQL Server 2000 Sp3a When installing with the "use SQL server 2000 instance" option, the install completes, but the Database is left ...

  1. Installing BEWS9.1 on Win2k3 Server with SQL 2000 Results in Read Only Database that will not activate

    Trying to install Backup Exec for Windows Servers V 9.1 onto the following
    system

    Windows 2003 Server Enterprise
    SQL Server 2000 Sp3a

    When installing with the "use SQL server 2000 instance" option, the install
    completes, but the Database is left in a "Read Only" state.

    Any attempts to make the DB writeable only result in File errors?

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Installing BEWS9.1 on Win2k3 Server with SQL 2000 Results in Read Only Database that will not activate

    Disable the Antivirus or exlude the sql db directories. Norton AV probably?

    "Simon J" wrote:

    >Trying to install Backup Exec for Windows Servers V 9.1 onto the following
    >system
    >
    >Windows 2003 Server Enterprise
    >SQL Server 2000 Sp3a
    >
    >When installing with the "use SQL server 2000 instance" option, the install
    >completes, but the Database is left in a "Read Only" state.
    >
    >Any attempts to make the DB writeable only result in File errors?
    >
    >Any ideas?

  3. Re: Installing BEWS9.1 on Win2k3 Server with SQL 2000 Results in Read Only Database that will not activate

    I have installed it temp in MSDE mode and it works fine so AV is unlikely
    to be the cause.

    I tried this several times and 2 different servers (1 test which had no AV
    installed) and no luck.

    THe SQL 2000 installation option just refuses to work, I am going to try
    at some point transfering the DB via DTS from the MSDE to SQL and changing
    the DB connection settings.

    Is this a good idea?

    "Steve O" wrote:

    >Disable the Antivirus or exlude the sql db directories. Norton AV probably?
    >

    >"Simon J" wrote:
    >>
    >>Trying to install Backup Exec for Windows Servers V 9.1 onto the following
    >>system
    >>
    >>Windows 2003 Server Enterprise
    >>SQL Server 2000 Sp3a
    >>
    >>When installing with the "use SQL server 2000 instance" option, the install
    >>completes, but the Database is left in a "Read Only" state.
    >>
    >>Any attempts to make the DB writeable only result in File errors?
    >>
    >>Any ideas?

  4. Re: Installing BEWS9.1 on Win2k3 Server with SQL 2000 Results in Read Only Database that will not activate

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:51:06 -0500, Simon wrote:

    > I have installed it temp in MSDE mode and it works fine so AV is
    > unlikely to be the cause.
    >
    > I tried this several times and 2 different servers (1 test which had no
    > AV installed) and no luck.
    >
    > THe SQL 2000 installation option just refuses to work, I am going to try
    > at some point transfering the DB via DTS from the MSDE to SQL and
    > changing the DB connection settings.
    >
    > Is this a good idea?

    No, although it may be possible to fix this issue, I do not think that it
    is a good idea. The BEWS MSDE master database is different from a
    standard SQL Server master database by a few procedures. I would use the
    MSDE database and limit max memory to something around 128Mb. Note that
    this is my opinion and others may have different opinions.

    I also think that it is simpler to support the separate MSDE instance when
    problems occur with Veritas software.

    Be sure to apply any needed patches to the MSDE instance.

    Alex Moore

+ Reply to Thread