**DO YOU USE 9.0? -BE 9.1 is OUT !!!!!!!!!! FREEE - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on **DO YOU USE 9.0? -BE 9.1 is OUT !!!!!!!!!! FREEE - Veritas Backup Exec ; Free upgrade for 9.0 customers!!!!!!!!!! Looks good. Lots of fixes. Check out the fix list here http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258104.htm Here is the actual download link. http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264342.htm...

  1. **DO YOU USE 9.0? -BE 9.1 is OUT !!!!!!!!!! FREEE

    Free upgrade for 9.0 customers!!!!!!!!!! Looks good.

    Lots of fixes. Check out the fix list here

    Here is the actual download link.

  2. Re: **DO YOU USE 9.0? -BE 9.1 is OUT !!!!!!!!!! FREEE

    Be careful with this upgrade. Veritas is using drivers that ARE NOT
    certified by Microsoft. I don't know about you but I don't trust this
    software anymore considering it is installed on a production server for
    heavens sakes. I sure hope Veritas gets a clue!!!

    Rick in the Midwest

    "trixsie" wrote in message

    > Free upgrade for 9.0 customers!!!!!!!!!! Looks good.
    >
    > Lots of fixes. Check out the fix list here
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258104.htm
    >
    > Here is the actual download link.
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264342.htm

  3. Re: **DO YOU USE 9.0? -BE 9.1 is OUT !!!!!!!!!! FREEE

    The download doesn't say that this is a Beta or Evaluation product. This is
    revision 4691 and as far as anyone can tell this is full release. What
    information do you have that says this is beta? If I knew that, then I would
    of never installed it because I agree, that would be childish.
    Maybe you are not aware of Veritas software downloads policies. They always
    provide their software from their website as a "Eval" version but you need a
    keycode to unlock the trial version to continue to use it. Maybe that is why
    you think it is a beta/eval version?
    I have tried ARCServe but not v9.0 and I haven't messed with IBM's. Are you
    saying that these are better and that I should take a look at them or are
    you saying once I see those products then I will stick with Veritas?
    Personally when I dealt with CA it was a nightmare.....

    Rick

    "Sethu Mohan" wrote in message

    > Hi Rick,
    >
    > Its me again. The terminologies in your posting reflects your sound

    technical
    > observations. Good to know that . But how can you test an Eval version of
    > software on a LIVE Production Server. I say this is too childish.
    >
    > But as far your concern of trusting this software is concerned,
    > I fear you have not experienced the whole features of Veritas and also not
    > administered any other enterprise level Backup Solutions like:
    > >Computer Associates :BrightStor ARCServe v9.0
    > >IBM Tivoli Storage Manager

    > I encourage you to evaluate either of these CA's or IBM's solution,
    > I hope this shall gain confidence in you and claim the privilege to be
    > a Veritas Backup Exec Administrator rather than copy cats.
    >
    > All the Best & Keep in touch
    >
    > I appreciate your boldness in posting such mission critical information
    >
    > Best Regards
    >
    > Sethu Mohan
    >
    > "Rick" wrote:
    > >Be careful with this upgrade. Veritas is using drivers that ARE NOT
    > >certified by Microsoft. I don't know about you but I don't trust this
    > >software anymore considering it is installed on a production server for
    > >heavens sakes. I sure hope Veritas gets a clue!!!
    > >
    > >Rick in the Midwest
    > >
    > >"trixsie" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Free upgrade for 9.0 customers!!!!!!!!!! Looks good.
    > >>
    > >> Lots of fixes. Check out the fix list here
    > >> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258104.htm
    > >>
    > >> Here is the actual download link.
    > >> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264342.htm

  4. Re: **DO YOU USE 9.0? -BE 9.1 is OUT !!!!!!!!!! FREEE

    "Rick" wrote:
    >Be careful with this upgrade. Veritas is using drivers that ARE NOT
    >certified by Microsoft. I don't know about you but I don't trust this
    >software anymore considering it is installed on a production server for
    >heavens sakes. I sure hope Veritas gets a clue!!!
    >
    >Rick in the Midwest
    >
    >"trixsie" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Free upgrade for 9.0 customers!!!!!!!!!! Looks good.
    >>
    >> Lots of fixes. Check out the fix list here
    >> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258104.htm
    >>
    >> Here is the actual download link.
    >> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264342.htm

  5. Re: **DO YOU USE 9.0? -BE 9.1 is OUT !!!!!!!!!! FREEE

    Veritas DOES NOT release Beta code through the download pages. You have to
    join the Beta test program to get this code.

    V9.1 is a production release.

    > Hi Rick,
    >
    > Its me again. The terminologies in your posting reflects your sound

    technical
    > observations. Good to know that . But how can you test an Eval version of
    > software on a LIVE Production Server. I say this is too childish.
    >
    > But as far your concern of trusting this software is concerned,
    > I fear you have not experienced the whole features of Veritas and also not
    > administered any other enterprise level Backup Solutions like:
    > >Computer Associates :BrightStor ARCServe v9.0
    > >IBM Tivoli Storage Manager

    > I encourage you to evaluate either of these CA's or IBM's solution,
    > I hope this shall gain confidence in you and claim the privilege to be
    > a Veritas Backup Exec Administrator rather than copy cats.
    >
    > All the Best & Keep in touch
    >
    > I appreciate your boldness in posting such mission critical information
    >
    > Best Regards
    >
    > Sethu Mohan
    >
    > "Rick" wrote:
    > >Be careful with this upgrade. Veritas is using drivers that ARE NOT
    > >certified by Microsoft. I don't know about you but I don't trust this
    > >software anymore considering it is installed on a production server for
    > >heavens sakes. I sure hope Veritas gets a clue!!!
    > >
    > >Rick in the Midwest
    > >
    > >"trixsie" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Free upgrade for 9.0 customers!!!!!!!!!! Looks good.
    > >>
    > >> Lots of fixes. Check out the fix list here
    > >> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258104.htm
    > >>
    > >> Here is the actual download link.
    > >> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264342.htm

  6. Re: **DO YOU USE 9.0? -BE 9.1 is OUT !!!!!!!!!! FREEE

    Are you saying that since other products are so bad, Veritas Backup-Exec (with
    all its failings) can't help but look good??

    I wish Veritas would aspire to being a GOOD product on it's own, rather than
    a product that doesn't stink as bad as everyone else...

    Let me tell you what I compare Backup-Exec 9.0 to... Backup-Exec 8.6

    9.0 is HUGE step backwards for Veritas... It's much buggier, and they lost
    several nice features that made 8.6 much easier to use.

    Add in that you have to use Exec-View 3.1 (which is a even BIGGER step backwards
    from Exec-View 2.5), and my disgust level has gone off the chart. My associates
    will confirm that EVERY FREAKING day they hear me say "God, I hate Veritas".

    I loved 8.6. I set it up well... It worked for a good year or two without
    any real problems. 9.0 has given me nothing but problems for the last two
    months.

    I will try 9.1, but if its not more stable, we WILL be going with another
    vendor (We've already started having them come in and pitch their products)

    Ron

    "Sethu Mohan" wrote:

    >Hi Rick,
    >
    >Its me again. The terminologies in your posting reflects your sound technical
    >observations. Good to know that . But how can you test an Eval version of
    >software on a LIVE Production Server. I say this is too childish.
    >
    >But as far your concern of trusting this software is concerned,
    >I fear you have not experienced the whole features of Veritas and also not
    >administered any other enterprise level Backup Solutions like:
    >>Computer Associates :BrightStor ARCServe v9.0
    >>IBM Tivoli Storage Manager

    >I encourage you to evaluate either of these CA's or IBM's solution,
    >I hope this shall gain confidence in you and claim the privilege to be
    >a Veritas Backup Exec Administrator rather than copy cats.
    >
    >All the Best & Keep in touch
    >
    >I appreciate your boldness in posting such mission critical information
    >
    >Best Regards
    >
    >Sethu Mohan
    >
    >"Rick" wrote:
    >>Be careful with this upgrade. Veritas is using drivers that ARE NOT
    >>certified by Microsoft. I don't know about you but I don't trust this
    >>software anymore considering it is installed on a production server for
    >>heavens sakes. I sure hope Veritas gets a clue!!!
    >>
    >>Rick in the Midwest
    >>
    >>"trixsie" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Free upgrade for 9.0 customers!!!!!!!!!! Looks good.
    >>>
    >>> Lots of fixes. Check out the fix list here
    >>> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258104.htm
    >>>
    >>> Here is the actual download link.
    >>> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264342.htm

  7. Re: **DO YOU USE 9.0? -BE 9.1 is OUT !!!!!!!!!! FREEE

    Ron, what other products are you considering? I would be interested to know.
    I am like you, Veritas is going the wrong direction and I need to look for
    alternatives.

    Rick

    "Ron Rosenkoetter" wrote in message

    > Are you saying that since other products are so bad, Veritas Backup-Exec

    (with
    > all its failings) can't help but look good??
    >
    > I wish Veritas would aspire to being a GOOD product on it's own, rather

    than
    > a product that doesn't stink as bad as everyone else...
    >
    > Let me tell you what I compare Backup-Exec 9.0 to... Backup-Exec 8.6
    >
    > 9.0 is HUGE step backwards for Veritas... It's much buggier, and they lost
    > several nice features that made 8.6 much easier to use.
    >
    > Add in that you have to use Exec-View 3.1 (which is a even BIGGER step

    backwards
    > from Exec-View 2.5), and my disgust level has gone off the chart. My

    associates
    > will confirm that EVERY FREAKING day they hear me say "God, I hate

    Veritas".

    > I loved 8.6. I set it up well... It worked for a good year or two without
    > any real problems. 9.0 has given me nothing but problems for the last two
    > months.
    >
    > I will try 9.1, but if its not more stable, we WILL be going with another
    > vendor (We've already started having them come in and pitch their

    products)

    > Ron
    >
    > "Sethu Mohan" wrote:
    > >
    > >Hi Rick,
    > >
    > >Its me again. The terminologies in your posting reflects your sound

    technical
    > >observations. Good to know that . But how can you test an Eval version of
    > >software on a LIVE Production Server. I say this is too childish.
    > >
    > >But as far your concern of trusting this software is concerned,
    > >I fear you have not experienced the whole features of Veritas and also

    not
    > >administered any other enterprise level Backup Solutions like:
    > >>Computer Associates :BrightStor ARCServe v9.0
    > >>IBM Tivoli Storage Manager

    > >I encourage you to evaluate either of these CA's or IBM's solution,
    > >I hope this shall gain confidence in you and claim the privilege to be
    > >a Veritas Backup Exec Administrator rather than copy cats.
    > >
    > >All the Best & Keep in touch
    > >
    > >I appreciate your boldness in posting such mission critical information
    > >
    > >Best Regards
    > >
    > >Sethu Mohan
    > >
    > >"Rick" wrote:
    > >>Be careful with this upgrade. Veritas is using drivers that ARE NOT
    > >>certified by Microsoft. I don't know about you but I don't trust this
    > >>software anymore considering it is installed on a production server for
    > >>heavens sakes. I sure hope Veritas gets a clue!!!
    > >>
    > >>Rick in the Midwest
    > >>
    > >>"trixsie" wrote in message

+ Reply to Thread