Slightly OT - Recommend Virus Detector for BE 9 server? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Slightly OT - Recommend Virus Detector for BE 9 server? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Now that BE 9 no longer has a virus scanner, I'm looking for a Recommendation for a virus scan product that is known to work on servers and will scan with no console logon. Our users use a Symantec Corporate ...

  1. Slightly OT - Recommend Virus Detector for BE 9 server?

    Now that BE 9 no longer has a virus scanner, I'm looking for a
    Recommendation for a virus scan product that is known to work on
    servers and will scan with no console logon. Our users use a Symantec
    Corporate product that will not scan unless there is a console logon,
    which makes it unacceptable for server use.

    I'm not looking for a product to do server-based network scans of
    client machines, just something that has a good track record of
    running on servers with no problems.

    BTW, I'd just like to say that I've used this newsgroup for a bunch of
    years, from three different companies and it has always been a great
    source of information and help. I'm glad that Veritas has seen fit to
    continue it, and that the great people who contribute here have
    continued to do so. THANKS!

    Greg

  2. Re: Slightly OT - Recommend Virus Detector for BE 9 server?

    I have been using NAI for several years on both Novell and
    Windows(NiceTry/2002) servers. Works great. I have found several
    infections upon crossgrades/upgrades from Norton and other products.

    Good luck.
    Sam S.

    Greg Huntzinger wrote:
    > Now that BE 9 no longer has a virus scanner, I'm looking for a
    > Recommendation for a virus scan product that is known to work on
    > servers and will scan with no console logon. Our users use a Symantec
    > Corporate product that will not scan unless there is a console logon,
    > which makes it unacceptable for server use.
    >
    > I'm not looking for a product to do server-based network scans of
    > client machines, just something that has a good track record of
    > running on servers with no problems.
    >
    > BTW, I'd just like to say that I've used this newsgroup for a bunch of
    > years, from three different companies and it has always been a great
    > source of information and help. I'm glad that Veritas has seen fit to
    > continue it, and that the great people who contribute here have
    > continued to do so. THANKS!
    >
    > Greg

  3. Re: Slightly OT - Recommend Virus Detector for BE 9 server?

    Thanks, Sam. I've never used a NAI product. I'll check into it.

    Greg
    gregh at imagenation dot com

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:50:05 -0700, sams wrote:

    >I have been using NAI for several years on both Novell and
    >Windows(NiceTry/2002) servers. Works great. I have found several
    >infections upon crossgrades/upgrades from Norton and other products.
    >
    >Good luck.
    >Sam S.
    >
    >Greg Huntzinger wrote:
    >> Now that BE 9 no longer has a virus scanner, I'm looking for a
    >> Recommendation for a virus scan product that is known to work on
    >> servers and will scan with no console logon. Our users use a Symantec
    >> Corporate product that will not scan unless there is a console logon,
    >> which makes it unacceptable for server use.
    >>
    >> I'm not looking for a product to do server-based network scans of
    >> client machines, just something that has a good track record of
    >> running on servers with no problems.
    >>
    >> BTW, I'd just like to say that I've used this newsgroup for a bunch of
    >> years, from three different companies and it has always been a great
    >> source of information and help. I'm glad that Veritas has seen fit to
    >> continue it, and that the great people who contribute here have
    >> continued to do so. THANKS!
    >>
    >> Greg

  4. Re: Slightly OT - Recommend Virus Detector for BE 9 server?

    Take a look at Norton Corporate Edition (run as an unmanaged client)

    "Greg Huntzinger" wrote in message
    Now that BE 9 no longer has a virus scanner, I'm looking for a
    Recommendation for a virus scan product that is known to work on
    servers and will scan with no console logon. Our users use a Symantec
    Corporate product that will not scan unless there is a console logon,
    which makes it unacceptable for server use.

    I'm not looking for a product to do server-based network scans of
    client machines, just something that has a good track record of
    running on servers with no problems.

    BTW, I'd just like to say that I've used this newsgroup for a bunch of
    years, from three different companies and it has always been a great
    source of information and help. I'm glad that Veritas has seen fit to
    continue it, and that the great people who contribute here have
    continued to do so. THANKS!

    Greg

  5. Re: Slightly OT - Recommend Virus Detector for BE 9 server?

    Thanks for the reply.

    As it happens, the Corporate Edition is what we are using. All of our
    client machines are unmanaged clients. My experience with the
    unmanaged clients is that they will not scan unless a user is logged
    on. There's a Symantec kbase article on this problem.

    My plan is to install the whole managed client "thing", the system
    center and all of the other stuff and put managed clients on all of
    the servers and user machines. This is all supposed to work, so I
    guess I'll see!

    If you have any info or suggestions - I'd be very interested!

    Greg

    I hate spam!
    gregh "at" imagenation "dot" com

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:21:13 -0600, "Veritas Newsgroup"
    wrote:

    >Take a look at Norton Corporate Edition (run as an unmanaged client)
    >
    >"Greg Huntzinger" wrote in message
    >Now that BE 9 no longer has a virus scanner, I'm looking for a
    >Recommendation for a virus scan product that is known to work on
    >servers and will scan with no console logon. Our users use a Symantec
    >Corporate product that will not scan unless there is a console logon,
    >which makes it unacceptable for server use.
    >
    >I'm not looking for a product to do server-based network scans of
    >client machines, just something that has a good track record of
    >running on servers with no problems.
    >
    >BTW, I'd just like to say that I've used this newsgroup for a bunch of
    >years, from three different companies and it has always been a great
    >source of information and help. I'm glad that Veritas has seen fit to
    >continue it, and that the great people who contribute here have
    >continued to do so. THANKS!
    >
    >Greg

+ Reply to Thread