Can't restore SystemState to a redirected server - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Can't restore SystemState to a redirected server - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm doing a disaster recovery drill... and I'm trying to restore a complete system onto another "standby" server. The backups go just fine... no errors. I can backup C$, D$, and the system state to tape. Redirecting the C$ and ...

  1. Can't restore SystemState to a redirected server

    I'm doing a disaster recovery drill... and I'm trying to restore a complete
    system onto another "standby" server.

    The backups go just fine... no errors. I can backup C$, D$, and the system
    state to tape.

    Redirecting the C$ and D$ onto the standby server also works (so that takes
    care of permissions, network connectivity, etc). However, when I attempt
    to redirect the System State to the standby server I get the following error:

    Job Operation - Restore
    Unable to attach to \\KUMQUAT\System?State.

    Job ended: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 at 1:14:20 PM
    Job completion status: Failed

    I've viewed all of the relevant entries in the Vertias Knowledge Base, but
    they all have some other statement after the "Unable to connect..." message
    (like "access is denied", etc). As you can see, I get no such additional
    information.

    I've verified the presence of the ADMIN$ share... and have not changed the
    "allow annoymous access" feature in the registry from the Win2k (no service
    pack) base load.

    The server is just a member sever... not a domain controller. We're using
    BEWNT 8.6

  2. Re: Can't restore SystemState to a redirected server

    Moin Emmet,

    as I understand, you have a DOMAIN\Srv1 and a DOMAIN\Srv1Standby
    Right ??
    You backup the runnig DOMAIN\Srv1 and restore
    to the runnig DOMAIN\Srv1Standby. Is that rigth ???
    Sorry to ask first.
    Have a great day
    Rainer

    "Emmet Gray" wrote:

    >I'm doing a disaster recovery drill... and I'm trying to restore a complete
    >system onto another "standby" server.
    >
    >The backups go just fine... no errors. I can backup C$, D$, and the system
    >state to tape.
    >
    >Redirecting the C$ and D$ onto the standby server also works (so that takes
    >care of permissions, network connectivity, etc). However, when I attempt
    >to redirect the System State to the standby server I get the following error:
    >
    >================================================== ====================
    >Job Operation - Restore
    >================================================== ====================
    >Unable to attach to \\KUMQUAT\System?State.
    >
    >================================================== ====================
    >Job ended: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 at 1:14:20 PM
    >Job completion status: Failed
    >================================================== ====================
    >
    >I've viewed all of the relevant entries in the Vertias Knowledge Base, but
    >they all have some other statement after the "Unable to connect..." message
    >(like "access is denied", etc). As you can see, I get no such additional
    >information.
    >
    >I've verified the presence of the ADMIN$ share... and have not changed the
    >"allow annoymous access" feature in the registry from the Win2k (no service
    >pack) base load.
    >
    >The server is just a member sever... not a domain controller. We're using
    >BEWNT 8.6

  3. Re: Can't restore SystemState to a redirected server

    Yep, that's it... I've got an old server (that's not currently being used
    for anything) that's pretty darn close to the hardware configuration of the
    real server. So, I did a complete backup of the real server, and want to do
    a restore to the old (now standby) server. During the test, the standby
    server has a different name and different IP address as the real server. In
    fact, the real server is still up and running during the test.

    Everything restores to the standby server just fine *except* for system
    state which fails almost immediately (in about 7 seconds... not even long
    enough to move to that part of the tape).

    Since I have access to the real server (since this is just a test), I did a
    backup of the System State to a file via the native NTBACKUP program. I
    then transferred the backup file to the standby server and did a restore of
    the system state. (I then had to unplug the real server, and reboot the
    freshly restored standby server). After a few "finding new hardware"
    messages, everything was up and running. The standby server now thinks it's
    the real server... all is well

    Obviouisly, this only worked because I had access to the live real server...
    something that wouldn't happen in the event of a real disaster recovery.
    So, I need Vertias to work... I need it to restore the system state to a
    redirected server!

    "Rainer Schumacher" wrote in message

    > Moin Emmet,
    >
    > as I understand, you have a DOMAIN\Srv1 and a DOMAIN\Srv1Standby
    > Right ??
    > You backup the runnig DOMAIN\Srv1 and restore
    > to the runnig DOMAIN\Srv1Standby. Is that rigth ???
    > Sorry to ask first.
    > Have a great day
    > Rainer
    >
    > "Emmet Gray" wrote:
    > >
    > >I'm doing a disaster recovery drill... and I'm trying to restore a

    complete
    > >system onto another "standby" server.
    > >
    > >The backups go just fine... no errors. I can backup C$, D$, and the

    system
    > >state to tape.
    > >
    > >Redirecting the C$ and D$ onto the standby server also works (so that

    takes
    > >care of permissions, network connectivity, etc). However, when I attempt
    > >to redirect the System State to the standby server I get the following

    error:

    > >================================================== ====================
    > >Job Operation - Restore
    > >================================================== ====================
    > >Unable to attach to \\KUMQUAT\System?State.
    > >
    > >================================================== ====================
    > >Job ended: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 at 1:14:20 PM
    > >Job completion status: Failed
    > >================================================== ====================
    > >
    > >I've viewed all of the relevant entries in the Vertias Knowledge Base,

    but
    > >they all have some other statement after the "Unable to connect..."

    message
    > >(like "access is denied", etc). As you can see, I get no such additional
    > >information.
    > >
    > >I've verified the presence of the ADMIN$ share... and have not changed

    the
    > >"allow annoymous access" feature in the registry from the Win2k (no

    service
    > >pack) base load.
    > >
    > >The server is just a member sever... not a domain controller. We're

    using
    > >BEWNT 8.6

  4. Re: Can't restore SystemState to a redirected server

    Moin Emmet,

    you find it. You had to UNPLUG the server.
    My question point to the standbyserver is also a member
    of the same Domain as the real server.
    If you unplug the "standby" server he can not find the real server.
    Happy backup from
    Rainer

    "Emmet Gray" wrote:
> [...]

    >> >================================================== ====================
    >> >Job ended: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 at 1:14:20 PM
    >> >Job completion status: Failed
    >> >================================================== ====================
    >> >
    >> >I've viewed all of the relevant entries in the Vertias Knowledge Base,

    >but
    >> >they all have some other statement after the "Unable to connect..."

    >message
    >> >(like "access is denied", etc). As you can see, I get no such additional
    >> >information.
    >> >
    >> >I've verified the presence of the ADMIN$ share... and have not changed

    >the
    >> >"allow annoymous access" feature in the registry from the Win2k (no

    >service
    >> >pack) base load.
    >> >
    >> >The server is just a member sever... not a domain controller. We're

  5. Re: Can't restore SystemState to a redirected server

    Are you saying that I must disconnect the real server first, before Vertias
    will allow me to redirect its System State to another standby server? That
    seems a bit silly... but I'll give it a try

    > Moin Emmet,
    >
    > you find it. You had to UNPLUG the server.
    > My question point to the standbyserver is also a member
    > of the same Domain as the real server.
    > If you unplug the "standby" server he can not find the real server.
    > Happy backup from
    > Rainer
    >
    > "Emmet Gray" wrote:
    > >Yep, that's it... I've got an old server (that's not currently being

    used
    > >for anything) that's pretty darn close to the hardware configuration of

    > the
    > >real server. So, I did a complete backup of the real server, and want to

    > do
    > >a restore to the old (now standby) server. During the test, the standby
    > >server has a different name and different IP address as the real server.

    > In
    > >fact, the real server is still up and running during the test.
    > >
    > >Everything restores to the standby server just fine *except* for system
    > >state which fails almost immediately (in about 7 seconds... not even long
    > >enough to move to that part of the tape).
    > >
    > >Since I have access to the real server (since this is just a test), I did

    > >backup of the System State to a file via the native NTBACKUP program. I
    > >then transferred the backup file to the standby server and did a restore

    > of
    > >the system state. (I then had to unplug the real server, and reboot the
    > >freshly restored standby server). After a few "finding new hardware"
    > >messages, everything was up and running. The standby server now thinks

    > it's
    > >the real server... all is well
    > >
    > >Obviouisly, this only worked because I had access to the live real

    server...
    > >something that wouldn't happen in the event of a real disaster recovery.
    > >So, I need Vertias to work... I need it to restore the system state to a
    > >redirected server!
    > >
    > >"Rainer Schumacher" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Moin Emmet,
    > >>
    > >> as I understand, you have a DOMAIN\Srv1 and a DOMAIN\Srv1Standby
    > >> Right ??
    > >> You backup the runnig DOMAIN\Srv1 and restore
    > >> to the runnig DOMAIN\Srv1Standby. Is that rigth ???
    > >> Sorry to ask first.
    > >> Have a great day
    > >> Rainer

    > >complete

    > >system

    > >takes

    attempt

    > >error:

    > >but

    > >message

    additional

    > >the

    > >service

    > >using

  6. Re: Can't restore SystemState to a redirected server

    Moin Emmet,

    Yes, if they are in the same Domain.
    That is how Microsoft design it.
    Have a great day