Must erase tape before backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Must erase tape before backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a strange problem, i must erase tape before start backup otherwise the backup will failed? Is there anything i can do without having to erase before each backup? Thanks Charles...

  1. Must erase tape before backup

    I have a strange problem, i must erase tape before start backup otherwise
    the backup will failed?

    Is there anything i can do without having to erase before each backup?

    Thanks

    Charles

  2. Re: Must erase tape before backup

    Double check the retention period of the media set that you are using.

    The tape must be "older" than the retention period or else BEWS will prompt
    for another volume

    "Charles" wrote in message

    > I have a strange problem, i must erase tape before start backup otherwise
    > the backup will failed?
    >
    > Is there anything i can do without having to erase before each backup?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Charles

  3. Re: Must erase tape before backup

    From the Media tab, if you right click the media set, the overwrite
    protection is Zero Hours/Days?

    "Charles" wrote in message

    > I don't have any retention period. It's configure to overwrite.
    >
    > Charles
    > "ken putnam" wrote:
    > >Double check the retention period of the media set that you are using.
    > >
    > >The tape must be "older" than the retention period or else BEWS will

    prompt
    > >for another volume
    > >

    > >"Charles" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I have a strange problem, i must erase tape before start backup

    otherwise
    > >> the backup will failed?
    > >>
    > >> Is there anything i can do without having to erase before each backup?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>
    > >> Charles

  4. Re: Must erase tape before backup

    How many media sets do you use?
    Are these jobs append or overwrite?

    If you hve not overwrite protection and the tapes are more than

    "Charles" wrote in message

    > Well, yes i don't want to set any overwrite protection level
    >
    > Charles
    > "ken putnam" wrote:
    > >From the Media tab, if you right click the media set, the overwrite
    > >protection is Zero Hours/Days?
    > >

    > >"Charles" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I don't have any retention period. It's configure to overwrite.
    > >>
    > >> Charles

    > >prompt

    > >otherwise

    backup?

  5. Re: Must erase tape before backup

    "ken putnam" wrote:
    >Double check the retention period of the media set that you are using.
    >
    >The tape must be "older" than the retention period or else BEWS will prompt
    >for another volume
    >

    >"Charles" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have a strange problem, i must erase tape before start backup otherwise
    >> the backup will failed?
    >>
    >> Is there anything i can do without having to erase before each backup?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Charles

  6. Re: Must erase tape before backup

    "ken putnam" wrote:
    >From the Media tab, if you right click the media set, the overwrite
    >protection is Zero Hours/Days?
    >

    >"Charles" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I don't have any retention period. It's configure to overwrite.
    >>
    >> Charles
    >> "ken putnam" wrote:
    >> >Double check the retention period of the media set that you are using.
    >> >
    >> >The tape must be "older" than the retention period or else BEWS will

    >prompt
    >> >for another volume
    >> >

    >> >"Charles" wrote in message

    >otherwise

  7. Re: Must erase tape before backup

    All day of the week is full backup and 1 day a week we keep the media. It's
    set to overwrite and not Append.

    Charles

    "ken putnam" wrote:
    >How many media sets do you use?
    >Are these jobs append or overwrite?
    >
    >If you hve not overwrite protection and the tapes are more than
    >

    >"Charles" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Well, yes i don't want to set any overwrite protection level
    >>
    >> Charles
    >> "ken putnam" wrote:
    >> >From the Media tab, if you right click the media set, the overwrite
    >> >protection is Zero Hours/Days?
    >> >

    >> >"Charles" wrote in message

    >> >prompt

    >> >otherwise

    >backup?

  8. Re: Must erase tape before backup

    If all jobs are overwrite, and all use the same media set, and if the media
    set has no overwrite protection, then I ha no idea why you have to erase
    tapes before they can be used.

    Sorry

    "Charles" wrote in message

    > All day of the week is full backup and 1 day a week we keep the media.

    It's
    > set to overwrite and not Append.
    >
    > Charles
    >
    > "ken putnam" wrote:
    > >How many media sets do you use?
    > >Are these jobs append or overwrite?
    > >
    > >If you hve not overwrite protection and the tapes are more than
    > >

    > >"Charles" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Well, yes i don't want to set any overwrite protection level
    > >>
    > >> Charles

    using.

    will

    > >backup?

  9. Re: Must erase tape before backup

    "Charles" wrote in message

    > All day of the week is full backup and 1 day a week we keep the media.

    It's
    > set to overwrite and not Append.
    >
    > Charles
    >
    > "ken putnam" wrote:
    > >How many media sets do you use?
    > >Are these jobs append or overwrite?
    > >
    > >If you hve not overwrite protection and the tapes are more than
    > >

    > >"Charles" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Well, yes i don't want to set any overwrite protection level
    > >>
    > >> Charles

    using.

    will

    > >backup?

  10. Re: Must erase tape before backup

    "Charles" wrote in message

    > All day of the week is full backup and 1 day a week we keep the media.

    It's
    > set to overwrite and not Append.
    >
    > Charles
    >
    > "ken putnam" wrote:
    > >How many media sets do you use?
    > >Are these jobs append or overwrite?
    > >
    > >If you hve not overwrite protection and the tapes are more than
    > >

    > >"Charles" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Well, yes i don't want to set any overwrite protection level
    > >>
    > >> Charles

    using.

    will

    > >backup?