The last Slot of the autoloader is missing in BE - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on The last Slot of the autoloader is missing in BE - Veritas Backup Exec ; My configuration : Autoloader = Exabyte 17D (7 slot + 1 drive Quantum DLT4000) OS = Win NT4 SP5 BackupExec = 8.0 build 3311 The 7th slot (the last one) is not displayed in the device tab of BE. I ...

  1. The last Slot of the autoloader is missing in BE

    My configuration :
    Autoloader = Exabyte 17D (7 slot + 1 drive Quantum DLT4000)
    OS = Win NT4 SP5
    BackupExec = 8.0 build 3311
    The 7th slot (the last one) is not displayed in the device tab of BE. I can
    see and use the other slot but not this one !??!
    But, in the "Autoloader's inventory" state (inventory.rpt) this 7th slot
    is listed and declared as a 'Cleaning Slot' !
    Maybe i have to set this "fantom slot" autoclean option to OFF using the
    BE Command Line Applet ?!?
    Or perhaps it's possible to "create" this slot using the BE Command Line
    Applet ?!?
    Where can I have some documentation about the BE Command Line Applet ???
    Please can someone help me ?
    Thanks (and sorry for my bad english)...

    ERIC

  2. Re: The last Slot of the autoloader is missing in BE

    If the slot is defined as a cleaning slot, BEWS expects a cleaning tape to
    be mounted there, and as such, it is not available for regular backup jobs.
    You can, however schedule cleaning jobs rather that having to run them
    manually.

    "eric" wrote in message news:3fcb4be6@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > My configuration :
    > Autoloader = Exabyte 17D (7 slot + 1 drive Quantum DLT4000)
    > OS = Win NT4 SP5
    > BackupExec = 8.0 build 3311
    > The 7th slot (the last one) is not displayed in the device tab of BE. I

    can
    > see and use the other slot but not this one !??!
    > But, in the "Autoloader's inventory" state (inventory.rpt) this 7th slot
    > is listed and declared as a 'Cleaning Slot' !
    > Maybe i have to set this "fantom slot" autoclean option to OFF using the
    > BE Command Line Applet ?!?
    > Or perhaps it's possible to "create" this slot using the BE Command Line
    > Applet ?!?
    > Where can I have some documentation about the BE Command Line Applet ???
    > Please can someone help me ?
    > Thanks (and sorry for my bad english)...
    >
    > ERIC

  3. Re: The last Slot of the autoloader is missing in BE

    Kinda a long shot, but you could try deleteing all partitions and
    re-creating them if it used to work.

    As for the BEMCMD reference, from a command prompt, you can to "BEMCMD /? >
    BEMCMD.TXT".

    Other than that
    "ERIC" wrote in message news:3fcb807e@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > Thanks for your help, ken !
    > There's a cleaning tape in this slot (7th), but I can't schedule cleaning
    > jobs : When
    > I try, BEWS place this job in a wait state and answer "No media

    available..."
    > The autoclean option of the autoloader is set to OFF (as noticed in the

    documentation).
    > Do you know where can I download some documentation about the BE Command
    > Line (I would verify the configuration of my autoloader & my SCSI card) ?
    > I have to say (maybe this can help "you") that this 7th slot used to be

    displayed
    > (a partition with only one slot) and the schedule cleaning jobs worked

    very
    > fine ;But I
    > had to modify the partitions and since I've done, the 7th slot's

    disapeared...
    > Thanks a lot !
    >

    > "ken putnam" wrote:
    > >If the slot is defined as a cleaning slot, BEWS expects a cleaning tape

    > >be mounted there, and as such, it is not available for regular backup

    jobs.
    > >You can, however schedule cleaning jobs rather that having to run them
    > >manually.
    > >

    > >"eric" wrote in message news:3fcb4be6@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > >>
    > >> My configuration :
    > >> Autoloader = Exabyte 17D (7 slot + 1 drive Quantum DLT4000)
    > >> OS = Win NT4 SP5
    > >> BackupExec = 8.0 build 3311
    > >> The 7th slot (the last one) is not displayed in the device tab of BE.

    > >can
    > >> see and use the other slot but not this one !??!
    > >> But, in the "Autoloader's inventory" state (inventory.rpt) this 7th

    slot
    > >> is listed and declared as a 'Cleaning Slot' !
    > >> Maybe i have to set this "fantom slot" autoclean option to OFF using

    the
    > >> BE Command Line Applet ?!?
    > >> Or perhaps it's possible to "create" this slot using the BE Command

    Line
    > >> Applet ?!?
    > >> Where can I have some documentation about the BE Command Line Applet

    ???
    > >> Please can someone help me ?
    > >> Thanks (and sorry for my bad english)...
    > >>
    > >> ERIC

  4. Re: The last Slot of the autoloader is missing in BE

    "ken putnam" wrote:
    >If the slot is defined as a cleaning slot, BEWS expects a cleaning tape

    >be mounted there, and as such, it is not available for regular backup jobs.
    >You can, however schedule cleaning jobs rather that having to run them
    >manually.
    >

    >"eric" wrote in message news:3fcb4be6@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>
    >> My configuration :
    >> Autoloader = Exabyte 17D (7 slot + 1 drive Quantum DLT4000)
    >> OS = Win NT4 SP5
    >> BackupExec = 8.0 build 3311
    >> The 7th slot (the last one) is not displayed in the device tab of BE.

    >can
    >> see and use the other slot but not this one !??!
    >> But, in the "Autoloader's inventory" state (inventory.rpt) this 7th slot
    >> is listed and declared as a 'Cleaning Slot' !
    >> Maybe i have to set this "fantom slot" autoclean option to OFF using the
    >> BE Command Line Applet ?!?
    >> Or perhaps it's possible to "create" this slot using the BE Command Line
    >> Applet ?!?
    >> Where can I have some documentation about the BE Command Line Applet ???
    >> Please can someone help me ?
    >> Thanks (and sorry for my bad english)...
    >>
    >> ERIC

  5. Re: The last Slot of the autoloader is missing in BE

    I've ever tried re-creating partitions but il was an echec !
    I'll see with the BEMCMD.
    To be continued...
    Thanks a lot.

    ?
    >> I have to say (maybe this can help "you") that this 7th slot used to be

    >displayed
    >> (a partition with only one slot) and the schedule cleaning jobs worked

    >very
    >> fine ;But I
    >> had to modify the partitions and since I've done, the 7th slot's

    >disapeared...
    >> Thanks a lot !
    >>

    >> "ken putnam" wrote:
    >> >If the slot is defined as a cleaning slot, BEWS expects a cleaning tape

    >> >be mounted there, and as such, it is not available for regular backup

    >jobs.
    >> >You can, however schedule cleaning jobs rather that having to run them
    >> >manually.

    >> >can

    >slot

    >the