Backup Sizes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Sizes - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi there, I have a 4-8Gb tape drive and the same 4-8Gb tapes. However the backup does not seem to use the full 8Gb but asks for another tape at say 6.5Gb of data backed up. Why is this? Could ...

  1. Backup Sizes

    Hi there,

    I have a 4-8Gb tape drive and the same 4-8Gb tapes. However the backup does
    not seem to use the full 8Gb but asks for another tape at say 6.5Gb of data
    backed up. Why is this? Could it be to do with the data being backed up in
    sections and the next section would be too large to fit on the spare part
    of the tape?

    Thank you for your help
    Sam.

  2. Re: Backup Sizes

    See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm

    "Sam Johnson" wrote in message

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a 4-8Gb tape drive and the same 4-8Gb tapes. However the backup

    does
    > not seem to use the full 8Gb but asks for another tape at say 6.5Gb of

    data
    > backed up. Why is this? Could it be to do with the data being backed up in
    > sections and the next section would be too large to fit on the spare part
    > of the tape?
    >
    > Thank you for your help
    > Sam.

  3. Re: Backup Sizes

    Hi,

    In the Job defintions, check whether its,
    "Append to media".
    If so, usually the rest of the space in the media will only be used.

    Regards

    Sethu

    "Sam Johnson" wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I have a 4-8Gb tape drive and the same 4-8Gb tapes. However the backup does
    >not seem to use the full 8Gb but asks for another tape at say 6.5Gb of data
    >backed up. Why is this? Could it be to do with the data being backed up

    in
    >sections and the next section would be too large to fit on the spare part
    >of the tape?
    >
    >Thank you for your help
    >Sam.

  4. Re: Backup Sizes

    Hi Sam,

    the compression depands on the date you backup. For example if you hav only
    Word files you will get more Files to the tape than you use e.g. JPG files.
    If you can store more than 4 GB to your drive, compression is working.

    Regards

    Jan
    "Sam Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a 4-8Gb tape drive and the same 4-8Gb tapes. However the backup

    does
    > not seem to use the full 8Gb but asks for another tape at say 6.5Gb of

    data
    > backed up. Why is this? Could it be to do with the data being backed up in
    > sections and the next section would be too large to fit on the spare part
    > of the tape?
    >
    > Thank you for your help
    > Sam.

  5. Re: Backup Sizes

    Your tape is a 4/8GB this mean you can backup up to 4GB Native and 8GB Compressed.
    If you can backup 6.5GB and you must insert another tape to finish the backup,
    this mean you have some files already compressed (.zip, .rar, .sit, etc.)
    The hardware compression cannot compress files already compressed.

    Charles
    "Sam Johnson" wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I have a 4-8Gb tape drive and the same 4-8Gb tapes. However the backup does
    >not seem to use the full 8Gb but asks for another tape at say 6.5Gb of data
    >backed up. Why is this? Could it be to do with the data being backed up

    in
    >sections and the next section would be too large to fit on the spare part
    >of the tape?
    >
    >Thank you for your help
    >Sam.

+ Reply to Thread