How to upgrade from 8.6 to 9.0 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on How to upgrade from 8.6 to 9.0 - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have several BackupExec 8.6 installations, all running on w2k sp3 media servers with tape HP LTO1 or DLT libraries attached. We are currently backing up several servers w2k SP3 , running RANT, OFO, IDR, EXCHANGE and ORACLE Agents. We ...

  1. How to upgrade from 8.6 to 9.0

    We have several BackupExec 8.6 installations, all running on w2k sp3 media
    servers with tape HP LTO1 or DLT libraries attached.
    We are currently backing up several servers w2k SP3 , running RANT, OFO,
    IDR, EXCHANGE and ORACLE Agents.

    We are planning to upgrade to version 9.0

    Will I have to upgrade and reboot all remote servers running 8.6 Agents ?

    Does anyone in this group has upgraded 8.6 to 9.0 before ?
    Which problems encoutered ?

    Any suggestions or reccomendations ?

    Feedbacks are welcome.

    thanks

    Simone

  2. Re: How to upgrade from 8.6 to 9.0

    We just did. I found some of my jobs didn't make it through the
    upgrade. I also found the login credentials didn't transfer right. In
    the end we had to recreate all our jobs, but it was worth it since v9.x
    has really easy to use templating and backup selection lists. The
    credential mgmt is much improved as well.

    Only gotcha? Updating the credentials in a selection list will NOT
    update currently scheduled jobs - we had to recreate the jobs after
    updating the credentials - very annoying.

    About as buggy as a normal BE release, but I personally like the new
    interface - very easy to use.

    Mike

    Joe wrote:

    > We have several BackupExec 8.6 installations, all running on w2k sp3 media
    > servers with tape HP LTO1 or DLT libraries attached.
    > We are currently backing up several servers w2k SP3 , running RANT, OFO,
    > IDR, EXCHANGE and ORACLE Agents.
    >
    > We are planning to upgrade to version 9.0
    >
    > Will I have to upgrade and reboot all remote servers running 8.6 Agents ?
    >
    > Does anyone in this group has upgraded 8.6 to 9.0 before ?
    > Which problems encoutered ?
    >
    > Any suggestions or reccomendations ?
    >
    > Feedbacks are welcome.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Simone

  3. Re: How to upgrade from 8.6 to 9.0

    Just like Mike, I experienced problems with an upgrade. I would recommend a
    clean installation on a fresh OS install.

    Matt

    "Joe" wrote in message news:3fc5e3e6@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > We have several BackupExec 8.6 installations, all running on w2k sp3 media
    > servers with tape HP LTO1 or DLT libraries attached.
    > We are currently backing up several servers w2k SP3 , running RANT, OFO,
    > IDR, EXCHANGE and ORACLE Agents.
    >
    > We are planning to upgrade to version 9.0
    >
    > Will I have to upgrade and reboot all remote servers running 8.6 Agents ?
    >
    > Does anyone in this group has upgraded 8.6 to 9.0 before ?
    > Which problems encoutered ?
    >
    > Any suggestions or reccomendations ?
    >
    > Feedbacks are welcome.
    >
    > thanks