System state on W2003 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on System state on W2003 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am attempting to backup the system state using 8.6 from a 2000 server backup for a 2003 server's system state. I get the following error. Media Name: "Media created 27/08/2002 14:50:49 " Backup of "\\ALPHA\System?State " Backup set #13 ...

  1. System state on W2003

    I am attempting to backup the system state using 8.6 from a 2000 server
    backup for a 2003 server's system state. I get the following error.

    Media Name: "Media created 27/08/2002 14:50:49 "
    Backup of "\\ALPHA\System?State "
    Backup set #13 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "Daily Backup Warbird"
    Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 27/11/2003 at 05:07:38 .
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory
    \Registry\C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile and its subdirectories.

    Backup completed on 27/11/2003 at 05:16:27 .
    Backed up 2431 files in 150 directories.
    1 item was skipped.
    Processed 459,570,059 bytes in 8 minutes and 49 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 49.7 MB/min

    I have traced why, as below. However the folder "systemprofile" has been
    created by 2003. I dont wish to delete or move it because it may cause
    problems with the os. Does anyone know what systemprofile is for, and anyway
    to keep backup of the systemstate without this error, which is causing
    backup to show status "fail". It isnt really a "fail" so I would prefer it
    to say complete.

    http://seer.support.veritas.com/sear...2f240385%2ehtm

    Cannot backup a directory located in the C:\Winnt\system32\config directory
    when backing up the System State of any Windows 2000 system.
    TechNote ID: 240385 Last Updated: November 08 2002 07:51 AM GMT
    E-Mail this document to a colleague
    Subscribe to this document

    Caution! The information in this TechNote is based upon certain assumptions,
    including product, operating system and platform versions. You can review
    this information in the TechNote Summary portion of this document. This
    document ( 240385 ) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this
    document.
    ----

    Symptom:
    Cannot backup a directory located in the C:\Winnt\system32\config directory
    when backing up the System State of any Windows 2000 system.

    Exact Error Message:

    Directory not found. Cannot backup directory
    \Registry\C:\WINNT\system32\config\New Folder and its sub directories

    Solution:

    An example of the error in a Backup Exec log file is as follows:
    "Directory not found. Can not backup directory
    \Registry\C:\WINNT\system32\config\New Folder and its sub directories", as
    shown in Figure 1.

    Figure 1

    The "New Folder", is a folder that has been created by a user within the
    C:\WINNT\system32\config folder as shown in Figure 2.

    Figure 2

    When backing up the System State of a Windows 2000 system, Backup Exec is
    not expecting to find any user defined directories in the \config directory,
    as this is a system folder. Backup Exec will detect these "extra"
    directories and, since they are not part of the system settings or registry
    settings, the error is produced.

    In order to avoid this error, folders created by users should not be placed
    in the C:\WINNT\system32\config directory. Only folders created by Windows
    2000 itself should be located there.

    To resolve the issue move the directory and it's contents from the
    C:\WINNT\system32\config to an alternate location.

    ----
    TechNote Summary:
    TechNote Title: Cannot backup a directory located in the
    C:\Winnt\system32\config directory when backing up the System State of any
    Windows 2000 system.
    TechNote ID: 240385
    Last Updated: November 08 2002 07:51 AM GMT
    Document Expires:
    This information in this TechNote applies to:
    Products: Backup Exec for Windows Servers (All Versions) 8.0 for Windows
    NT and 2000, 8.5 for Small Business Server, 8.5 for Windows NT and 2000, 8.6
    for Small Business Server, 8.6 for Windows NT and 2000

    Subject: Application - Backup
    Operating System - Backup

    Languages: English (US)

    Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Advanced Server 5.00.2195, Datacenter
    Server 5.00.2195, Professional 5.00.2195, Server 5.00.2195
    Windows NT Small Business Server 2000

  2. Re: System state on W2003

    I found that the biggest amount of data in there was a DR WATSON log event
    which i deleted. Also that the other shortcuts were to programs, so Im
    temporarily going to see if I can MOVE the directory elsewhere, i dont know
    if this affects the OS though.

    "Tony" wrote in message

> [...]

    > TechNote Summary:
    > TechNote Title: Cannot backup a directory located in the
    > C:\Winnt\system32\config directory when backing up the System State of any
    > Windows 2000 system.
    > TechNote ID: 240385
    > Last Updated: November 08 2002 07:51 AM GMT
    > Document Expires:
    > This information in this TechNote applies to:
    > Products: Backup Exec for Windows Servers (All Versions) 8.0 for

    Windows
    > NT and 2000, 8.5 for Small Business Server, 8.5 for Windows NT and 2000,

    8.6
    > for Small Business Server, 8.6 for Windows NT and 2000
    >
    > Subject: Application - Backup
    > Operating System - Backup
    >
    > Languages: English (US)
    >
    > Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Advanced Server 5.00.2195, Datacenter
    > Server 5.00.2195, Professional 5.00.2195, Server 5.00.2195

  3. Re: System state on W2003

    You need v9.0.4454 to support W2K3

    Tony wrote:

> [...]
    >----
    >TechNote Summary:
    >TechNote Title: Cannot backup a directory located in the
    >C:\Winnt\system32\config directory when backing up the System State of any
    >Windows 2000 system.
    >TechNote ID: 240385
    >Last Updated: November 08 2002 07:51 AM GMT
    >Document Expires:
    >This information in this TechNote applies to:
    >Products: Backup Exec for Windows Servers (All Versions) 8.0 for Windows
    >NT and 2000, 8.5 for Small Business Server, 8.5 for Windows NT and 2000, 8.6
    >for Small Business Server, 8.6 for Windows NT and 2000
    >
    >Subject: Application - Backup
    >Operating System - Backup
    >
    >Languages: English (US)
    >
    >Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Advanced Server 5.00.2195, Datacenter
    >Server 5.00.2195, Professional 5.00.2195, Server 5.00.2195

+ Reply to Thread