Media Sets And Random Media Tape Usage - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Media Sets And Random Media Tape Usage - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have recently purchased a Overland Powerloader DLT8000 autoloader which we are using on Backup Exec 9.0 (Rev 4454) running on Windows 2000 Server (SP3). This autoloader contains two DLT8000 drives. I am new to media sets as we always ...

  1. Media Sets And Random Media Tape Usage

    We have recently purchased a Overland Powerloader DLT8000 autoloader which
    we are using on Backup Exec 9.0 (Rev 4454) running on Windows 2000 Server
    (SP3).

    This autoloader contains two DLT8000 drives. I am new to media sets as we
    always only had single drive autoloaders previously and we used the default
    media set MEDIA SET 1 for all of our media (no overwrite protection level
    and infinite append period).

    We have three jobs which are running on the new PowerLoader. Two jobs use
    two tapes each and the third job uses a single tape. I've created three
    media sets (one for each job) and added the relevant tapes to each media
    set e.g.

    SET 1 TAPE1
    TAPE2

    SET 2 TAPE3
    TAPE4

    SET 3 TAPE5

    These media sets have no overwrite protection level and an infinite append
    period.

    The jobs have been configured to use the relevant media set and drive for
    dumping the data to. However, when I come in the next morning, I find that
    say for instance the first job which runs (which uses media set SET 1 and
    should use tapes TAPE1 and TAPE2) has started the backup job on TAPE 1.
    When this tape is full, it should use TAPE 2 but is instead using TAPE 4
    instead. When I look at the media set's, it has also moved TAPE 4 into the
    media set SET 1 when it was previously in media set SET 2.

    Obviously we are getting the backups okay but it's a bit of a problem that
    the label of the one of the tapes is correct (for the job) but the other
    tape has a label relating to another job.

    Has anyone else run into this problem. If so, did they get it resolved.

    Thanks

    Mark

  2. Re: Media Sets And Random Media Tape Usage

    what is happening is that BEWS uses the "oldest" tapes it can find first
    (the ones that have been in scratch status longest)

    What you can do is create "partitions" (From the Devices tab, right click
    the loader and select "Partition")
    Then point the jobs to the appropriate partitions, rather than to the loader
    as a whole.

    "Mark Williams" wrote in message

    > We have recently purchased a Overland Powerloader DLT8000 autoloader which
    > we are using on Backup Exec 9.0 (Rev 4454) running on Windows 2000 Server
    > (SP3).
    >
    > This autoloader contains two DLT8000 drives. I am new to media sets as we
    > always only had single drive autoloaders previously and we used the

    default
    > media set MEDIA SET 1 for all of our media (no overwrite protection level
    > and infinite append period).
    >
    > We have three jobs which are running on the new PowerLoader. Two jobs use
    > two tapes each and the third job uses a single tape. I've created three
    > media sets (one for each job) and added the relevant tapes to each media
    > set e.g.
    >
    > SET 1 TAPE1
    > TAPE2
    >
    > SET 2 TAPE3
    > TAPE4
    >
    > SET 3 TAPE5
    >
    > These media sets have no overwrite protection level and an infinite append
    > period.
    >
    > The jobs have been configured to use the relevant media set and drive for
    > dumping the data to. However, when I come in the next morning, I find

    that
    > say for instance the first job which runs (which uses media set SET 1 and
    > should use tapes TAPE1 and TAPE2) has started the backup job on TAPE 1.
    > When this tape is full, it should use TAPE 2 but is instead using TAPE 4
    > instead. When I look at the media set's, it has also moved TAPE 4 into

    the
    > media set SET 1 when it was previously in media set SET 2.
    >
    > Obviously we are getting the backups okay but it's a bit of a problem that
    > the label of the one of the tapes is correct (for the job) but the other
    > tape has a label relating to another job.
    >
    > Has anyone else run into this problem. If so, did they get it resolved.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mark

+ Reply to Thread