Backup to Disk with HOT SWAP SATA Hard Drives - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup to Disk with HOT SWAP SATA Hard Drives - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello All, I'm looking for information or anyone who is using a Hard Drive based backup system. I would like to use a SATA controller connected to a removable HD tray to swap backup drives on a daily basis. From ...

  1. Backup to Disk with HOT SWAP SATA Hard Drives

    Hello All,

    I'm looking for information or anyone who is using a Hard Drive based backup
    system. I would like to use a SATA controller connected to a removable HD
    tray to swap backup drives on a daily basis. From what I have read SATA
    provides how swap capabilities so this should be possible.

    Is anyone doing this. One catch 22 is the user swapping the drives does
    not have login privilages to the server that they will be swapping the hard
    drives in.

    Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

    Patrick Fitchie

  2. Re: Backup to Disk with HOT SWAP SATA Hard Drives

    Yep, we're using something similar to that on two systems and it works very
    nicely (the only difference being that we use normal HDD's, so obviously
    need to shutdown the server to change them). Either Backup Exec 8.6 or 9.0
    can handle this to differing degrees. The best option is to go for v9, as it
    properly handles removable HDD's, whereas v8.6 only handles backup to disk,
    so you have to go through each and every disk by hand, and re-create the
    backup to disk folder information on each and every drive before it will
    work.

    Since you won't need to reboot between HDD changes you might also need to
    look at getting the server to run an inventory job before the backups start
    (and after the tapes are due to be changed), so the server knows which drive
    is currently connected.

    Keith

    "Patrick Fitchie" wrote in message

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm looking for information or anyone who is using a Hard Drive based

    backup
    > system. I would like to use a SATA controller connected to a removable HD
    > tray to swap backup drives on a daily basis. From what I have read SATA
    > provides how swap capabilities so this should be possible.
    >
    > Is anyone doing this. One catch 22 is the user swapping the drives does
    > not have login privilages to the server that they will be swapping the

    hard
    > drives in.
    >
    > Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Patrick Fitchie

+ Reply to Thread