Hardware compression not working - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Hardware compression not working - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi All, My problem is that hardware compression in my backups does not seem to be working. This is what I have: Dell PowerEdge 2100/200 running Win NT4 SP6a. BackupExec 7.2 writing to a Sony SDT-7000 tape drive. Compression is ...

  1. Hardware compression not working

    Hi All,

    My problem is that hardware compression in my backups does not seem to be
    working. This is what I have:

    Dell PowerEdge 2100/200 running Win NT4 SP6a.
    BackupExec 7.2 writing to a Sony SDT-7000 tape drive.
    Compression is configured as "Hardware (if available, otherwise software)".

    The DDS-2 tapes I use claim to have a capacity of 8 GB with compression (4
    GB without). The backup log claims that "hardware compression is enabled".
    However as I only get 4GB on a tape, I am assuming this to be false. As
    a result the backup fails to fit onto 1 tape (as I believe it should). Using
    software compression makes no difference.

    Does anyone have any idea as to how to get hardware compression to actually
    work. I have tried different drivers without success. Any assistance will
    be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Dirk

  2. Re: Hardware compression not working

    Dirk,

    BE is just picking up this information from your tape drive.
    To verify this, try temporarily disabling the BE services and try using the
    native NT backup utility program to see whether you get more on your tapes...
    its unlikely though.

    Other things to look at:
    - is the data being backed up already compressed.
    - are you using the latest drivers for the tape drive.
    - most importantly with 4mm drives, are you using the right tapes
    - do you have the latest firmware installed.
    - check out the V support knowledgebase for technotes, they exist.

    Good luck.

    "Dirk" wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >My problem is that hardware compression in my backups does not seem to be
    >working. This is what I have:
    >
    >Dell PowerEdge 2100/200 running Win NT4 SP6a.
    >BackupExec 7.2 writing to a Sony SDT-7000 tape drive.
    >Compression is configured as "Hardware (if available, otherwise software)".
    >
    >The DDS-2 tapes I use claim to have a capacity of 8 GB with compression

    (4
    >GB without). The backup log claims that "hardware compression is enabled".
    > However as I only get 4GB on a tape, I am assuming this to be false. As
    >a result the backup fails to fit onto 1 tape (as I believe it should).

    Using
    >software compression makes no difference.
    >
    >Does anyone have any idea as to how to get hardware compression to actually
    >work. I have tried different drivers without success. Any assistance will
    >be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Dirk

  3. Re: Hardware compression not working

    Probably won't have any effect on compression, but I HIGHLY recommend the
    free upgrade to v7.3.2575.
    IMHO, all the v7.2 builds were BETA code and not ready for prime time

    Be sure to grab POST2575 patch and all others that apply to your site

    If you select software compression, what does the job log say it acheived?

    "Dirk" wrote in message news:3fb45677@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > Hi All,
    >
    > My problem is that hardware compression in my backups does not seem to be
    > working. This is what I have:
    >
    > Dell PowerEdge 2100/200 running Win NT4 SP6a.
    > BackupExec 7.2 writing to a Sony SDT-7000 tape drive.
    > Compression is configured as "Hardware (if available, otherwise

    software)".

    > The DDS-2 tapes I use claim to have a capacity of 8 GB with compression (4
    > GB without). The backup log claims that "hardware compression is

    enabled".
    > However as I only get 4GB on a tape, I am assuming this to be false. As
    > a result the backup fails to fit onto 1 tape (as I believe it should).

    Using
    > software compression makes no difference.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea as to how to get hardware compression to

    actually
    > work. I have tried different drivers without success. Any assistance

    will
    > be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dirk