A failure occurred querying the Writer status - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on A failure occurred querying the Writer status - Veritas Backup Exec ; Running BU Exec 9, we have received this error daily on a job that otherwise backs up data successfully. Event logs show the same error with no other illuminating issues. I have been unable to find any related articles in ...

  1. A failure occurred querying the Writer status

    Running BU Exec 9, we have received this error daily on a job that otherwise
    backs up data successfully. Event logs show the same error with no other
    illuminating issues. I have been unable to find any related articles in
    the knowlege base or through other searches. A Google search yields an article
    that looks perfect, and, of course, doesn't exist anymore.
    Anyone?

  2. Re: A failure occurred querying the Writer status

    Hi,

    Are you getting this in the backup job log when the backup runs OR in Windows
    event log? Can you paste the exact error message into another post. I would
    also start Backup Exec in debug mode to see if any useful messages appear
    in the subsequent debug log that is created. The debug log can be quite detailed,
    just concentrate on checking for messages in the debug log that occurred
    at the same time as the error occurs in the job or event logs.

    Happy troubleshooting.

    "Genevieve Geddes" wrote:

    >Running BU Exec 9, we have received this error daily on a job that otherwise
    >backs up data successfully. Event logs show the same error with no other
    >illuminating issues. I have been unable to find any related articles in
    >the knowlege base or through other searches. A Google search yields an

    article
    >that looks perfect, and, of course, doesn't exist anymore.
    >Anyone?

  3. Re: A failure occurred querying the Writer status

    Thanks for the response. I'm getting the same error generating in the Event
    Log
    and in the Job Log. Here's the exact text:

    OFO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File
    Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
    OFO: Snapshot error (0xfffffed1): A failure occurred querying the Writer
    status.

    And then the final completion status reports:

    Job ended: Thursday, November 13, 2003 at 10:28:41 PM
    Completed status: Failed
    Final error code: a000fed1 HEX
    Final error description: A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

    Final error category: Resource Errors

    Thanks for any info you have. I will try the debug mode ....

    "Mako" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Are you getting this in the backup job log when the backup runs OR in Windows
    >event log? Can you paste the exact error message into another post. I would
    >also start Backup Exec in debug mode to see if any useful messages appear
    >in the subsequent debug log that is created. The debug log can be quite

    detailed,
    >just concentrate on checking for messages in the debug log that occurred
    >at the same time as the error occurs in the job or event logs.
    >
    >Happy troubleshooting.
    >
    >"Genevieve Geddes" wrote:
    >>
    >>Running BU Exec 9, we have received this error daily on a job that otherwise
    >>backs up data successfully. Event logs show the same error with no other
    >>illuminating issues. I have been unable to find any related articles in
    >>the knowlege base or through other searches. A Google search yields an

    >article
    >>that looks perfect, and, of course, doesn't exist anymore.
    >>Anyone?

  4. Re: A failure occurred querying the Writer status

    I actually received a similar error last night for the first time. My backups
    were running fine for 3 weeks prior to this with no changes.

    "OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\NTS4\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced
    Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
    OFO: Snapshot error (0xfffffec9): A failure occurred accessing the Writer
    metadata."

    I don't even have the Shadow copy components checked for this Server, so
    I'm not sure why it's trying to back them up....

    "Genevieve Geddes" wrote:

    >Thanks for the response. I'm getting the same error generating in the Event
    >Log
    >and in the Job Log. Here's the exact text:
    >
    >OFO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open

    File
    >Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
    >OFO: Snapshot error (0xfffffed1): A failure occurred querying the Writer
    >status.
    >
    >And then the final completion status reports:
    >
    >Job ended: Thursday, November 13, 2003 at 10:28:41 PM
    >Completed status: Failed
    >Final error code: a000fed1 HEX
    >Final error description: A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
    >
    >Final error category: Resource Errors
    >
    >Thanks for any info you have. I will try the debug mode ....
    >

    >"Mako" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Are you getting this in the backup job log when the backup runs OR in Windows
    >>event log? Can you paste the exact error message into another post. I would
    >>also start Backup Exec in debug mode to see if any useful messages appear
    >>in the subsequent debug log that is created. The debug log can be quite

    >detailed,
    >>just concentrate on checking for messages in the debug log that occurred
    >>at the same time as the error occurs in the job or event logs.
    >>
    >>Happy troubleshooting.
    >>
    >>"Genevieve Geddes" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Running BU Exec 9, we have received this error daily on a job that otherwise
    >>>backs up data successfully. Event logs show the same error with no other
    >>>illuminating issues. I have been unable to find any related articles

    in
    >>>the knowlege base or through other searches. A Google search yields an

    >>article
    >>>that looks perfect, and, of course, doesn't exist anymore.
    >>>Anyone?

+ Reply to Thread