Exchange Mailboxes are sometimes very slowly - BE 9.0 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Exchange Mailboxes are sometimes very slowly - BE 9.0 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi BE sufferer! Our Exchange Mailboxes were sometimes very slowly backed up. The problem seems to appear randomly. We reach in the best case 91 MB/Min, and in the worst case 44 MB/Min. But, we don't know why? The backup ...

  1. Exchange Mailboxes are sometimes very slowly - BE 9.0

    Hi BE sufferer!

    Our Exchange Mailboxes were sometimes very slowly backed up. The problem
    seems to appear randomly. We reach in the best case 91 MB/Min, and in the
    worst case 44 MB/Min.
    But, we don't know why? The backup runns from Monday to Friday, always at
    the same time. We have already shifted the online Exchange defragmentation
    to an edge time.

    Who has a clue?

    Thanx a lot!

    Leonardo

  2. Re: Exchange Mailboxes are sometimes very slowly - BE 9.0

    "Leonardo Curcuruto" wrote in message
    > Our Exchange Mailboxes were sometimes very slowly backed up. The problem
    > seems to appear randomly. We reach in the best case 91 MB/Min, and in the
    > worst case 44 MB/Min.
    > But, we don't know why? The backup runns from Monday to Friday, always at
    > the same time. We have already shifted the online Exchange defragmentation
    > to an edge time.

    Here's a clue: mailbox level backup is a BAD idea. To do this, BE has to
    act as a MAPI client, effectively using the copy of Outlook you installed on
    the media server to read all of the mailboxes. This is very CPU intensive.

    Exchange 5.5 and later already have capabilities that obsolete the need for,
    what these folks call, "brick level" backups. Notably, the Deleted Item
    Retention feature and a modern Outlook client will save your users from
    asking you to restore any e-mail from tape.

    --
    PGP key (0x0AFA039E):
    What's a PGP Key? See

  3. Re: Exchange Mailboxes are sometimes very slowly - BE 9.0

    Hi Gordon!

    Thank you for your input. I have found in few minutes some new possibilities
    with the "brick level" term.

    1. EXMERGE
    Backup and restore single mailboxes. The ExMerge tool and its documentation
    are available on the Exchange 2000 compact disc in the following folder:
    SUPPORT\UTILS\I386\EXMERGE.

    2. Tools
    For example http://www.ontrack.de/powercontrols/. Mailbox Recovery.

    But we want to go on with Backup Exec. I don't love it, but we got it now
    and we have to live with it.
    How can it be, that sometimes the backup is fast enough and on the next day
    the speed collapse from 91 MB/Min to 44 MB/Min???

    Leonardo

+ Reply to Thread