What do I have to do to back up Exchange 5.5? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on What do I have to do to back up Exchange 5.5? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have searched the knowledge base and, frankly, I still don't understand exactly what I have to do. I have the Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server and I can't get anything to happen. I have Exchange running on Box1 and ...

  1. What do I have to do to back up Exchange 5.5?

    I have searched the knowledge base and, frankly, I still don't understand
    exactly what I have to do. I have the Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server
    and I can't get anything to happen. I have Exchange running on Box1 and
    BackupExec running on Box2. I installed the remote agent on Box1 from Box2.
    Do I need Exchange Admin running on Box2? Why? OK never mind the why.
    Do I need to run the install from Box1? How do I get this working? Thanks
    in advance.

  2. Re: What do I have to do to back up Exchange 5.5?

    "Laura" wrote in message news:3fb1541e@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > I have searched the knowledge base and, frankly, I still don't understand
    > exactly what I have to do. I have the Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server
    > and I can't get anything to happen. I have Exchange running on Box1 and
    > BackupExec running on Box2. I installed the remote agent on Box1 from

    Box2.
    > Do I need Exchange Admin running on Box2? Why? OK never mind the why.
    > Do I need to run the install from Box1? How do I get this working?

    Thanks
    > in advance.

    From the Backup Exec 8.6 manual, I remember that the media server needs to
    have Exchange Administrator installed. If you intend on backing up
    individual mailboxes, it also needs a MAPI client installed such as Outlook
    2000 and a mailbox made for the BE service account. BE calls a DLL that's
    installed as part of the Exchange Admin program, and will tell you on
    startup in the Event Log if this DLL is missing.

    I had to rebuild a media server once, on a network that had five NT4 DCs
    each running Exchange 5.5. When I installed BE and created the service
    account, I logged on as that account and tested Exchange Admin and Outlook
    2000. When the account could use these apps, the backups started working
    properly.

    Don't forget the service packs for Exchange Server and Outlook. It is even
    possible and advisable to install the Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a machine that
    only has the Exchange Administrator.

  3. Re: What do I have to do to back up Exchange 5.5?

    You have to install Exchange Admin on you backup server and your BE must have
    Exchange server agent.

    Charles
    "Laura" wrote:

    >I have searched the knowledge base and, frankly, I still don't understand
    >exactly what I have to do. I have the Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server
    >and I can't get anything to happen. I have Exchange running on Box1 and
    >BackupExec running on Box2. I installed the remote agent on Box1 from Box2.
    > Do I need Exchange Admin running on Box2? Why? OK never mind the why.
    > Do I need to run the install from Box1? How do I get this working? Thanks
    >in advance.

+ Reply to Thread