Advice for setting up auto loader rotation scheme - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Advice for setting up auto loader rotation scheme - Veritas Backup Exec ; Partition the Loader (from the devices Tab, right click the loader and select Partition) Define slot 0 as "Daily", Slot 1 as "Fri 1-3", Slot 2 as "Fri 2-4", Slot 3 as Fri 5 (or as Cleaning ) then aim ...

  1. Re: Advice for setting up auto loader rotation scheme

    Partition the Loader (from the devices Tab, right click the loader and
    select Partition)

    Define slot 0 as "Daily", Slot 1 as "Fri 1-3", Slot 2 as "Fri 2-4", Slot 3
    as Fri 5 (or as Cleaning )

    then aim your daily job to the first partition, and create 4 (or five)
    Friday jobs pointed at the appropriate partition

    You'll have to swap the Friday tapes twice a month of course.

    Are your Dailies Incremental or Full?
    Are you changing tapes daily or weekly?

    "Steve Burnett" wrote in message

    > I am running BE DataCenter Server 8.60 on Windows 2000
    > I acquired a 4 tape SONY autoloader. BE has a wizard for setting up a

    tape
    > rotation scheme, but it requires a 5 tape loader (the 5th for a cleaning
    > tape).
    >
    > I have 8 tapes and am trying to get BE to use one of the cartridges for

    MON-THURS,
    > and then the other CART for FRI, with slot 1 being the First Fri, slot 2
    > being the second, and so on.
    >
    > Can someone help point me in the right direction on how to setup the MEDIA
    > so that be enforces the tapes in the proper slots for the proper days?
    >
    > Thanks

  2. Advice for setting up auto loader rotation scheme

    I am running BE DataCenter Server 8.60 on Windows 2000
    I acquired a 4 tape SONY autoloader. BE has a wizard for setting up a tape
    rotation scheme, but it requires a 5 tape loader (the 5th for a cleaning
    tape).

    I have 8 tapes and am trying to get BE to use one of the cartridges for MON-THURS,
    and then the other CART for FRI, with slot 1 being the First Fri, slot 2
    being the second, and so on.

    Can someone help point me in the right direction on how to setup the MEDIA
    so that be enforces the tapes in the proper slots for the proper days?

    Thanks

  3. Re: Advice for setting up auto loader rotation scheme

    Thanks for the response Ken,

    I was thinking I would swap CARTRIDGES once weekly. I.e I would have a DAILY
    cartridge for mon-thurs, and a WEEKLY cart for friday(S)

    I had set up media sets so that the DAILY cart (tapes) would be doing differential,
    and the WEEKLY CART (fridays) was doing FULL. The problem I had was getting
    BE to loadthe DAILY cart slot 1 on Monday, slot 2 on Tues, slot 3 on WED,
    etc. Will partitioning solve that?

    Steve

    "ken putnam" wrote:
    >Partition the Loader (from the devices Tab, right click the loader and
    >select Partition)
    >
    >Define slot 0 as "Daily", Slot 1 as "Fri 1-3", Slot 2 as "Fri 2-4", Slot

    3
    >as Fri 5 (or as Cleaning )
    >
    >then aim your daily job to the first partition, and create 4 (or five)
    >Friday jobs pointed at the appropriate partition
    >
    >You'll have to swap the Friday tapes twice a month of course.
    >
    >Are your Dailies Incremental or Full?
    >Are you changing tapes daily or weekly?
    >

    >"Steve Burnett" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I am running BE DataCenter Server 8.60 on Windows 2000
    >> I acquired a 4 tape SONY autoloader. BE has a wizard for setting up a

    >tape
    >> rotation scheme, but it requires a 5 tape loader (the 5th for a cleaning
    >> tape).
    >>
    >> I have 8 tapes and am trying to get BE to use one of the cartridges for

    >MON-THURS,
    >> and then the other CART for FRI, with slot 1 being the First Fri, slot

    2
    >> being the second, and so on.
    >>
    >> Can someone help point me in the right direction on how to setup the MEDIA
    >> so that be enforces the tapes in the proper slots for the proper days?
    >>
    >> Thanks

  4. Re: Advice for setting up auto loader rotation scheme

    Yes.

    Each partiton is treated as a separate "tape drive". So a job pointed at
    Slot1 will only write to Slot 1, reagardless of what tapes are mounted in
    other slots

    > Thanks for the response Ken,
    >
    > I was thinking I would swap CARTRIDGES once weekly. I.e I would have a

    DAILY
    > cartridge for mon-thurs, and a WEEKLY cart for friday(S)
    >
    > I had set up media sets so that the DAILY cart (tapes) would be doing

    differential,
    > and the WEEKLY CART (fridays) was doing FULL. The problem I had was

    getting
    > BE to loadthe DAILY cart slot 1 on Monday, slot 2 on Tues, slot 3 on WED,
    > etc. Will partitioning solve that?
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > "ken putnam" wrote:
    > >Partition the Loader (from the devices Tab, right click the loader and
    > >select Partition)
    > >
    > >Define slot 0 as "Daily", Slot 1 as "Fri 1-3", Slot 2 as "Fri 2-4", Slot

    > 3
    > >as Fri 5 (or as Cleaning )
    > >
    > >then aim your daily job to the first partition, and create 4 (or five)
    > >Friday jobs pointed at the appropriate partition
    > >
    > >You'll have to swap the Friday tapes twice a month of course.
    > >
    > >Are your Dailies Incremental or Full?
    > >Are you changing tapes daily or weekly?
    > >

    > >"Steve Burnett" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I am running BE DataCenter Server 8.60 on Windows 2000
    > >> I acquired a 4 tape SONY autoloader. BE has a wizard for setting up a

    > >tape
    > >> rotation scheme, but it requires a 5 tape loader (the 5th for a

    cleaning
    > >> tape).
    > >>
    > >> I have 8 tapes and am trying to get BE to use one of the cartridges for

    > >MON-THURS,
    > >> and then the other CART for FRI, with slot 1 being the First Fri, slot

    > 2
    > >> being the second, and so on.
    > >>
    > >> Can someone help point me in the right direction on how to setup the

    MEDIA
    > >> so that be enforces the tapes in the proper slots for the proper days?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

+ Reply to Thread