Replaced Tape Drive with Another, BE Hangs at Loading Media - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Replaced Tape Drive with Another, BE Hangs at Loading Media - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, I am using Backup Exec 8.6 with Windows 2000 server. I replaced the old tape drive with anothe tape drive. When I look at the device section of Backup Exec, it found it as COMPAQ2, my first tape drive ...

  1. Replaced Tape Drive with Another, BE Hangs at Loading Media

    Hello,

    I am using Backup Exec 8.6 with Windows 2000 server. I replaced the old tape
    drive with anothe tape drive. When I look at the device section of Backup
    Exec, it found it as COMPAQ2, my first tape drive was recognized as COMPAQ1.
    The difference between the two seems to be firmware. In any case, after
    replacing the tape drive, I cannot seem to successfully backup. It seems to
    be looking for my original tape drive COMPAQ1. I went to the device section
    and it sees the COMPAQ2. How can I configure Backup Exec to use COMPAQ2 tape
    drive as the designated tape drive. Do I need to do anything on the Remote
    Storage console?

    Also, in the worst case scenario, if I have to re-install the Backlup Exec,
    how can I save all the tape catalogues? I do not want to perform inventory
    on all my tapes before I can perform any restore on them. Thanks for your
    assistance.

  2. Re: Replaced Tape Drive with Another, BE Hangs at Loading Media

    For future reference, before you physically remove a tape device, delete it
    from the BEWS device manager. Then when you add the new one, it'll "rename"
    itself to the same name

    At this point, about all you can do is

    1) Shutdown all BEWS services and edit the PVL.MDB file (make a copy
    first!!) (see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/244171.htm) and remove
    all references to COMPAQ1. Restart the services and Delete/Re-add the tape
    drive. It should now be recognized as COMPAQ1

    2) Change all your jobs to point to COMPAQ2 vs COMPAQ1. Any new jobs
    should automatically be pointed there.

    "Kimbert Dy Ning" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am using Backup Exec 8.6 with Windows 2000 server. I replaced the old

    tape
    > drive with anothe tape drive. When I look at the device section of Backup
    > Exec, it found it as COMPAQ2, my first tape drive was recognized as

    COMPAQ1.
    > The difference between the two seems to be firmware. In any case, after
    > replacing the tape drive, I cannot seem to successfully backup. It seems

    > be looking for my original tape drive COMPAQ1. I went to the device

    section
    > and it sees the COMPAQ2. How can I configure Backup Exec to use COMPAQ2

    tape
    > drive as the designated tape drive. Do I need to do anything on the Remote
    > Storage console?
    >
    > Also, in the worst case scenario, if I have to re-install the Backlup

    Exec,
    > how can I save all the tape catalogues? I do not want to perform inventory
    > on all my tapes before I can perform any restore on them. Thanks for your
    > assistance.

  3. Re: Replaced Tape Drive with Another, BE Hangs at Loading Media

    That's what I did when I had the backup drive replaced.
    "ken putnam" wrote in message
    > For future reference, before you physically remove a tape device, delete

    it
    > from the BEWS device manager. Then when you add the new one, it'll

    "rename"
    > itself to the same name
    >
    > At this point, about all you can do is
    >
    > 1) Shutdown all BEWS services and edit the PVL.MDB file (make a copy
    > first!!) (see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/244171.htm) and remove
    > all references to COMPAQ1. Restart the services and Delete/Re-add the

    tape
    > drive. It should now be recognized as COMPAQ1
    >
    > 2) Change all your jobs to point to COMPAQ2 vs COMPAQ1. Any new jobs
    > should automatically be pointed there.
    >

    > "Kimbert Dy Ning" wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I am using Backup Exec 8.6 with Windows 2000 server. I replaced the old

    > tape
    > > drive with anothe tape drive. When I look at the device section of

    Backup
    > > Exec, it found it as COMPAQ2, my first tape drive was recognized as

    > COMPAQ1.
    > > The difference between the two seems to be firmware. In any case, after
    > > replacing the tape drive, I cannot seem to successfully backup. It seems

    > > be looking for my original tape drive COMPAQ1. I went to the device

    > section
    > > and it sees the COMPAQ2. How can I configure Backup Exec to use COMPAQ2

    > tape
    > > drive as the designated tape drive. Do I need to do anything on the

    Remote
    > > Storage console?
    > >
    > > Also, in the worst case scenario, if I have to re-install the Backlup

    > Exec,
    > > how can I save all the tape catalogues? I do not want to perform

    inventory
    > > on all my tapes before I can perform any restore on them. Thanks for

    your
    > > assistance.

+ Reply to Thread