BE 9 running at half speed to 8.6? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 9 running at half speed to 8.6? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, I upgraded my BE 8.6 for Windows to BE 9.0 for Windows and my performance has gone down the tubes. I updated the server and all the agents/remote agents. The jobs work and eventually complete, but..... A full backup ...

  1. BE 9 running at half speed to 8.6?

    Hello,

    I upgraded my BE 8.6 for Windows to BE 9.0 for Windows and my performance
    has gone down the tubes. I updated the server and all the agents/remote
    agents. The jobs work and eventually complete, but..... A full backup
    for me is about 600gb and it used to take about 3 days to complete. After
    the 9.0 update after three days we have made it to 275gb.

    I have seen others with this same issue in the newsgroup, but no replies
    or answers. I am thinking I will be better off going back to the older version.

    Backup server is a P-III 700 with 512mb ram on Windows 2000 Server SP4 to
    an Overland AIT tape Library.

  2. Re: BE 9 running at half speed to 8.6?

    >I upgraded my BE 8.6 for Windows to BE 9.0 for Windows and my performance
    >has gone down the tubes.

    Have you tried it with a little bit more RAM? I have 1280 MB and experience
    the 'unable to allocate memory' error (although I'm nit shure taht it is
    really a low memory issue). I will upgrade to 2180MB today.

  3. Re: BE 9 running at half speed to 8.6?

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:29:26 +0000, Erik Spoosin wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I upgraded my BE 8.6 for Windows to BE 9.0 for Windows and my performance
    > has gone down the tubes. I updated the server and all the agents/remote
    > agents. The jobs work and eventually complete, but..... A full backup
    > for me is about 600gb and it used to take about 3 days to complete. After
    > the 9.0 update after three days we have made it to 275gb.
    >
    > I have seen others with this same issue in the newsgroup, but no replies
    > or answers. I am thinking I will be better off going back to the older version.
    >
    > Backup server is a P-III 700 with 512mb ram on Windows 2000 Server SP4 to
    > an Overland AIT tape Library.

    I am running around 600 gb on gig ethernet. it takes us about 20 hours to
    backup the complete site. I went from 8.5 to v9, but i also did a fresh
    install and created the jobs again. maybe it is the upgrade process and
    you need to install fresh.

    running v9 and win2k sp4. I have noticed with the latest blaster patch
    from MS that the system sometimes will lose it's network connection. the
    product is not very good, i am having other issues with it...not as
    reliable as 8.5.

  4. Re: BE 9 running at half speed to 8.6?

    Use "Hardware Compression"
    Are you using manufacturers or Veritas drivers for the tape device? Veritas
    recommended.

    "mr" wrote:
    >On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:29:26 +0000, Erik Spoosin wrote:
    >

    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I upgraded my BE 8.6 for Windows to BE 9.0 for Windows and my performance
    >> has gone down the tubes. I updated the server and all the agents/remote
    >> agents. The jobs work and eventually complete, but..... A full backup
    >> for me is about 600gb and it used to take about 3 days to complete. After
    >> the 9.0 update after three days we have made it to 275gb.
    >>
    >> I have seen others with this same issue in the newsgroup, but no replies
    >> or answers. I am thinking I will be better off going back to the older

    version.

    >> Backup server is a P-III 700 with 512mb ram on Windows 2000 Server SP4

    >> an Overland AIT tape Library.

    >I am running around 600 gb on gig ethernet. it takes us about 20 hours

    >backup the complete site. I went from 8.5 to v9, but i also did a fresh
    >install and created the jobs again. maybe it is the upgrade process and
    >you need to install fresh.
    >
    >running v9 and win2k sp4. I have noticed with the latest blaster patch
    >from MS that the system sometimes will lose it's network connection. the
    >product is not very good, i am having other issues with it...not as
    >reliable as 8.5.

+ Reply to Thread