Can not backup Network Attached Storage device - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Can not backup Network Attached Storage device - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have a NAS900, network attached storage device connected to our LAN. Server and workstations are W2K. We want to backup certain data from the NAS900 using Backup Exec v9.0, but Back Exec will not let us select the NAS ...

  1. Can not backup Network Attached Storage device

    We have a NAS900, network attached storage device connected to our LAN. Server
    and workstations are W2K. We want to backup certain data from the NAS900
    using Backup Exec v9.0, but Back Exec will not let us select the NAS for
    backup. What do I do? Also, when doing a search in headers on this newgroup,
    I always get a timeout error. Can this be corrected?

    Thanks

    Timothy A Green
    Rhotenberry Wellen Architects
    Midland, TX

  2. Re: Can not backup Network Attached Storage device

    I also have two NAS devices (Procom NF800 & NF1700). They run BSD as an OS
    but support SMB for windows compatability. They prefer to be backed up with
    an NDMP backups. As far as I know, BE does not support NDMP.

    You can work around this a little by choosing "enable backup of user shares"
    in BE, then share the folder you want backed up. Then you learn to get used
    to the error that there is no agent for windows servers on this device (because
    there is no WINDOWS either!) in your log files. You select the shares for
    your jobs, not the drives.

    If anyone knows better please respond!! Much appreciated

    "Timothy Green" wrote:

    >We have a NAS900, network attached storage device connected to our LAN.

    Server
    >and workstations are W2K. We want to backup certain data from the NAS900
    >using Backup Exec v9.0, but Back Exec will not let us select the NAS for
    >backup. What do I do? Also, when doing a search in headers on this newgroup,
    >I always get a timeout error. Can this be corrected?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Timothy A Green
    >Rhotenberry Wellen Architects
    >Midland, TX

  3. Re: Can not backup Network Attached Storage device

    Is the NAS WIndows Powered? Can you terminal services into it? If so,
    you need to install a remote agent, and be licensed in BE with a remote agent.

    "Timothy Green" wrote:

    >We have a NAS900, network attached storage device connected to our LAN.

    Server
    >and workstations are W2K. We want to backup certain data from the NAS900
    >using Backup Exec v9.0, but Back Exec will not let us select the NAS for
    >backup. What do I do? Also, when doing a search in headers on this newgroup,
    >I always get a timeout error. Can this be corrected?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Timothy A Green
    >Rhotenberry Wellen Architects
    >Midland, TX