Multiple tape problems - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Multiple tape problems - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, Currentyl I have a serious problem with Vertats Backup Exec for Windows servers runing on server with IBM ServeRAID-II and Sony SDX-300C AIT drive. The problem is the fact that retension and backup jobs fail almost everytime. Some times ...

  1. Multiple tape problems

    Hello,

    Currentyl I have a serious problem with Vertats Backup Exec for Windows servers
    runing on server with IBM ServeRAID-II and Sony SDX-300C AIT drive.

    The problem is the fact that retension and backup jobs fail almost everytime.
    Some times when I entirely power down the whole system and / or when I install
    the drivers again it works for few days. The charasteristics of the problem
    includes I/O errors, multiple tape alerts, errormessages saying that tape
    has unregocnized format and so on. The funny thing is that excactly same
    tapes works all right on another day after powerdown.

    I'm pretty fed up with Veritas, since they haven't provided any help so far.
    My support emails has gone to deaf ears, their knowledge base doesn't know
    nothing about this etc... I have tried all the drivers (including all the
    variations of tape drivers and RAID controller drivers).

    The last hope is this support newsgroup. Is here anyone who could help me?

    Some of the detailed errormessages are here:

    1) The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    2) The job failed with the following error: The request could not be perfo
    rmed because of an I/O device error.
    3) Job 'Inventory Drive 0022' has reported Multiple Tape Alerts on Server
    'SERVER-1'

    Among many others. :-) If some one could help you would do me a great favour.

  2. Re: Multiple tape problems

    I have just few more errormessages to add in to this problem category:

    Critical - The tape is damaged or the drive is faulty. Call the tape supplier
    helpline.
    Physical Volume Library Media not found.
    Catalog 0009 -- The job failed with the following error: Data error (cyclic
    redundancy check).

    These all are also typical errormessages.

    "JoyRide" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Currentyl I have a serious problem with Vertats Backup Exec for Windows

    servers
    >runing on server with IBM ServeRAID-II and Sony SDX-300C AIT drive.
    >
    >The problem is the fact that retension and backup jobs fail almost everytime.
    >Some times when I entirely power down the whole system and / or when I install
    >the drivers again it works for few days. The charasteristics of the problem
    >includes I/O errors, multiple tape alerts, errormessages saying that tape
    >has unregocnized format and so on. The funny thing is that excactly same
    >tapes works all right on another day after powerdown.
    >
    >I'm pretty fed up with Veritas, since they haven't provided any help so

    far.
    >My support emails has gone to deaf ears, their knowledge base doesn't know
    >nothing about this etc... I have tried all the drivers (including all the
    >variations of tape drivers and RAID controller drivers).
    >
    >The last hope is this support newsgroup. Is here anyone who could help me?
    >
    >Some of the detailed errormessages are here:
    >
    >1) The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    >2) The job failed with the following error: The request could not be perfo
    >rmed because of an I/O device error.
    >3) Job 'Inventory Drive 0022' has reported Multiple Tape Alerts on Server
    >'SERVER-1'
    >
    >Among many others. :-) If some one could help you would do me a great favour.

  3. Re: Multiple tape problems

    Have your tried replacing cables?
    Do you have some manufacturer diags you can run against the drive?

    "JoyRide" <> wrote in message news:3fa03319@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > Hello,
    >
    > Currentyl I have a serious problem with Vertats Backup Exec for Windows

    servers
    > runing on server with IBM ServeRAID-II and Sony SDX-300C AIT drive.
    >
    > The problem is the fact that retension and backup jobs fail almost

    everytime.
    > Some times when I entirely power down the whole system and / or when I

    install
    > the drivers again it works for few days. The charasteristics of the

    problem
    > includes I/O errors, multiple tape alerts, errormessages saying that tape
    > has unregocnized format and so on. The funny thing is that excactly same
    > tapes works all right on another day after powerdown.
    >
    > I'm pretty fed up with Veritas, since they haven't provided any help so

    far.
    > My support emails has gone to deaf ears, their knowledge base doesn't know
    > nothing about this etc... I have tried all the drivers (including all the
    > variations of tape drivers and RAID controller drivers).
    >
    > The last hope is this support newsgroup. Is here anyone who could help me?
    >
    > Some of the detailed errormessages are here:
    >
    > 1) The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    > 2) The job failed with the following error: The request could not be perfo
    > rmed because of an I/O device error.
    > 3) Job 'Inventory Drive 0022' has reported Multiple Tape Alerts on Server
    > 'SERVER-1'
    >
    > Among many others. :-) If some one could help you would do me a great

    favour.

  4. Re: Multiple tape problems

    Hello,

    I haven't tried the cables thing. I have tried the diagnostics and it checks
    out just fine... no problems at all. Because there is no single error condition
    which I could isolate I have come to conclusion that this must be some how
    software related problem.

    Recently I have had better luck with backup exec when I have started the
    backup job trough local backupexec client instead of client run over terminal
    server on the server. This is one issue, which I haven't searched trough
    yet, but it might be so that Backupexec client isn't terminal server friendly.
    The funny thing is the fact that when this I/O error occures entire filesystem
    disapears from network for one or two seconds (everybody gets offline in
    our network).

    I'll let you know if this turns out to be terminal services related problem.
    Any other help would be appreciated too. :-)

    "ken putnam" wrote:
    >Have your tried replacing cables?
    >Do you have some manufacturer diags you can run against the drive?
    >

    >"JoyRide" <> wrote in message news:3fa03319@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Currentyl I have a serious problem with Vertats Backup Exec for Windows

    >servers
    >> runing on server with IBM ServeRAID-II and Sony SDX-300C AIT drive.
    >>
    >> The problem is the fact that retension and backup jobs fail almost

    >everytime.
    >> Some times when I entirely power down the whole system and / or when I

    >install
    >> the drivers again it works for few days. The charasteristics of the

    >problem
    >> includes I/O errors, multiple tape alerts, errormessages saying that tape
    >> has unregocnized format and so on. The funny thing is that excactly same
    >> tapes works all right on another day after powerdown.
    >>
    >> I'm pretty fed up with Veritas, since they haven't provided any help so

    >far.
    >> My support emails has gone to deaf ears, their knowledge base doesn't

    know
    >> nothing about this etc... I have tried all the drivers (including all

    the
    >> variations of tape drivers and RAID controller drivers).
    >>
    >> The last hope is this support newsgroup. Is here anyone who could help

    me?

    >> Some of the detailed errormessages are here:
    >>
    >> 1) The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    >> 2) The job failed with the following error: The request could not be perfo
    >> rmed because of an I/O device error.
    >> 3) Job 'Inventory Drive 0022' has reported Multiple Tape Alerts on Server
    >> 'SERVER-1'
    >>
    >> Among many others. :-) If some one could help you would do me a great

    >favour.

+ Reply to Thread