Delete a directory in Explorer. Why not reflected in backup? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Delete a directory in Explorer. Why not reflected in backup? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Veritas 9 4454 Win2k Servers. A simple question, I have jobs scheduled. If I delete a directory on the root of the drive, do I have to make sure the drive is not my selections for a scheduled backup? I ...

  1. Delete a directory in Explorer. Why not reflected in backup?

    Veritas 9 4454 Win2k Servers. A simple question, I have jobs scheduled. If I
    delete a directory on the root of the drive, do I have to make sure the
    drive is not my selections for a scheduled backup? I deleted a directory on
    Sunday and Monday's backup gave me an error that it could not find. Same
    error a000fe09 HEX. The directory is invalid.
    Thanks
    JohnJ

  2. Re: Delete a directory in Explorer. Why not reflected in backup?

    Yeah. When you delete a directory, you need to refresh any select list that
    would backup that drive.

    "JohnJ" wrote in message news:3f9f6e10@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > Veritas 9 4454 Win2k Servers. A simple question, I have jobs scheduled. If

    > delete a directory on the root of the drive, do I have to make sure the
    > drive is not my selections for a scheduled backup? I deleted a directory

    on
    > Sunday and Monday's backup gave me an error that it could not find. Same
    > error a000fe09 HEX. The directory is invalid.
    > Thanks
    > JohnJ

  3. Re: Delete a directory in Explorer. Why not reflected in backup?

    Thx.

    > > Veritas 9 4454 Win2k Servers. A simple question, I have jobs scheduled.

    If
    > > delete a directory on the root of the drive, do I have to make sure the
    > > drive is not my selections for a scheduled backup? I deleted a directory

    > on
    > > Sunday and Monday's backup gave me an error that it could not find.

    Same
    > > error a000fe09 HEX. The directory is invalid.
    > > Thanks
    > > JohnJ

  4. Re: Delete a directory in Explorer. Why not reflected in backup?

    >Yeah. When you delete a directory, you need to refresh any select list that
    >would backup that drive.

    It depends. I f you look on your selection in text mode and you have for
    example:

    \\server1\c$\folder1\.....

    And folder1 is the delted one, you have to change it.
    If you just have
    \\server1\c$\*.*
    in your selection, it is not necessary to do anything.

    If you don't trust me: It is very simple to test.

  5. Re: Delete a directory in Explorer. Why not reflected in backup?

    I will try. This would save me some time. But the error only happens when I
    delete ROOT folders. Not subfolders. I just added it to my routine, delete
    ROOT folder, delete from Backup Exec or check at least in the text version.
    Thx
    John
    "Peter Ludwig" wrote in message

    > >Yeah. When you delete a directory, you need to refresh any select list

    that
    > >would backup that drive.

    > It depends. I f you look on your selection in text mode and you have for
    > example:
    >
    > \\server1\c$\folder1\.....
    >
    > And folder1 is the delted one, you have to change it.
    > If you just have
    > \\server1\c$\*.*
    > in your selection, it is not necessary to do anything.
    >
    > If you don't trust me: It is very simple to test.

  6. Re: Delete a directory in Explorer. Why not reflected in backup?

    >I will try. This would save me some time. But the error only happens when

    >delete ROOT folders. Not subfolders.

    OK, I just tried it for a folder in ROOT and it worked as expected wihtout
    any error message.

  7. Re: Delete a directory in Explorer. Why not reflected in backup?

    I will recreate the job and try it again. Odd, when I delete the root
    folder, it still remains in the Backup Exec window (using Text version to
    view my jobs) but it is gone from the Graphical View setting. It appears
    that the Graphic View is ok but the text version view does not get updated
    on my server. Strange stuff at times.

    > >I will try. This would save me some time. But the error only happens when

    > >delete ROOT folders. Not subfolders.

    > OK, I just tried it for a folder in ROOT and it worked as expected wihtout
    > any error message.

  8. Re: Delete a directory in Explorer. Why not reflected in backup?

    >I will recreate the job and try it again. Odd, when I delete the root
    >folder, it still remains in the Backup Exec window (using Text version to
    >view my jobs) but it is gone from the Graphical View setting. It appears
    >that the Graphic View is ok but the text version view does not get updated
    >on my server. Strange stuff at times.

    I think we have a basic misunderstanding here:
    I was talking about a folder, for example:
    c:\folder1
    and a backup selection
    c:\*.*

    If you have c:\folder1\... in your text version you have selected it explicitly.
    And therefore you get an error message when the folder is no longer available.

    The graphical version only shows the existing folders and files, so when
    an explicitly selected (or excluded) file or folder is no longer available,
    you can only delte the selction in the text version.
    I usually have this case when a complete server is switched off. Of course
    you cannot deselect non-existing servers in the graphical version.

+ Reply to Thread