how do I back up a windows web server? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on how do I back up a windows web server? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I need to back up my web server over the Internet. The server is not in my windows domain and it is hosted off-site. How do I back this up using version 9.0?...

  1. how do I back up a windows web server?

    I need to back up my web server over the Internet. The server is not in my
    windows domain and it is hosted off-site. How do I back this up using version
    9.0?

  2. Re: how do I back up a windows web server?

    You can't do this with a backup program I don't believe. You will have to
    use an FTP utility to copy the files locally to a resource that your backup
    server can backup.

    "joey" wrote in message

    > I need to back up my web server over the Internet. The server is not in my
    > windows domain and it is hosted off-site. How do I back this up using

    version
    > 9.0?

  3. Re: how do I back up a windows web server?

    You might be able to do this if you can setup a VPN connection between your
    backup server and your web server, thus effectively making your web server
    part of your local network. I think it should work in theory, but of course
    in practice it might not work as well. You might find that you need to
    create some user defined shares on the web server, and then back those up
    locally, rather than try to backup the entire server. Obviously this
    wouldn't include the system state information, but if you're only after the
    web site data from the server then this might suffice.

    Keith

    "joey" wrote in message

    > I need to back up my web server over the Internet. The server is not in my
    > windows domain and it is hosted off-site. How do I back this up using

    version
    > 9.0?

  4. Re: how do I back up a windows web server?

    Thanks.

    Even if I use VPN I do not want to make the web server part of my domain.
    Is it possible to backup non-domain servers with BE9?

    "Keith Langmead" wrote:
    >You might be able to do this if you can setup a VPN connection between your
    >backup server and your web server, thus effectively making your web server
    >part of your local network. I think it should work in theory, but of course
    >in practice it might not work as well. You might find that you need to
    >create some user defined shares on the web server, and then back those up
    >locally, rather than try to backup the entire server. Obviously this
    >wouldn't include the system state information, but if you're only after

    the
    >web site data from the server then this might suffice.
    >
    >Keith
    >
    >"joey" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I need to back up my web server over the Internet. The server is not in

    my
    >> windows domain and it is hosted off-site. How do I back this up using

    >version
    >> 9.0?

  5. Re: how do I back up a windows web server?

    Sure. Either just browse to it or set up User Defines Shares and specify
    "Connect As" with an account/password on the standalone machine

    "joey" wrote in message

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Even if I use VPN I do not want to make the web server part of my domain.
    > Is it possible to backup non-domain servers with BE9?
    >

    > "Keith Langmead" wrote:
    > >You might be able to do this if you can setup a VPN connection between

    your
    > >backup server and your web server, thus effectively making your web

    server
    > >part of your local network. I think it should work in theory, but of

    course
    > >in practice it might not work as well. You might find that you need to
    > >create some user defined shares on the web server, and then back those up
    > >locally, rather than try to backup the entire server. Obviously this
    > >wouldn't include the system state information, but if you're only after

    > the
    > >web site data from the server then this might suffice.
    > >
    > >Keith
    > >
    > >"joey" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I need to back up my web server over the Internet. The server is not in

    > my
    > >> windows domain and it is hosted off-site. How do I back this up using

    > >version
    > >> 9.0?

+ Reply to Thread