Directory Services restore - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Directory Services restore - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am having to do a full restore of a Windows 2003 DC using Backup Exec 9. the machine is the only DC in the domain and the tape drive is physically installed in the machine. Per the directions I ...

  1. Directory Services restore

    I am having to do a full restore of a Windows 2003 DC using Backup Exec 9.
    the machine is the only DC in the domain and the tape drive is physically
    installed in the machine.

    Per the directions I pulled from the veritas site, the system state should
    be restored from the "Directory Services Restore Mode". The process inolves
    starting the Backup Exec services manually. When I try to manually start
    any of the services I get the following error message:

    error 1068 dependency service or group failed to start

    I have two questions:

    1 - What is the dependency that I'm missing?
    2 - To do a complete (FULL) restore of the machine what steps should I be
    taking (in the correct order) to restore the machine? There must be someone
    out there that has done this, or a doc that lays the steps out.

    I'm desperate not to reubild the machine by hand. Any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks
    IAN

  2. Re: Directory Services restore

    As an update to what I've been able to find:

    The folowing info was posted 14 aug 2001 for the 8.x version running on
    2000. (netlogon does not start and neither do the backup exec services).

    Thanks in advance for those who can help.

    IAN
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Start the services for backup exec in the following order:
    1. Naming service
    2. Device and Media service
    3. Notification service
    4. Alert service
    5. 8.x server
    6. Job engine
    7. Agent browser

    This will allow you to see the real error message, 1068 tells you that one
    service can not start as a service it depends on will not start. In order
    for Backup Exec to work properly the following services MUST be started:

    Workstation
    Server
    RPC
    RPC locator*
    Net logon**
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

    "ecisgod420" wrote in message
    > I am having to do a full restore of a Windows 2003 DC using Backup Exec 9.
    > the machine is the only DC in the domain and the tape drive is physically
    > installed in the machine.
    >
    > Per the directions I pulled from the veritas site, the system state should
    > be restored from the "Directory Services Restore Mode". The process

    inolves
    > starting the Backup Exec services manually. When I try to manually start
    > any of the services I get the following error message:
    >
    > error 1068 dependency service or group failed to start
    >
    > I have two questions:
    >
    > 1 - What is the dependency that I'm missing?
    > 2 - To do a complete (FULL) restore of the machine what steps should I be
    > taking (in the correct order) to restore the machine? There must be

    someone
    > out there that has done this, or a doc that lays the steps out.
    >
    > I'm desperate not to reubild the machine by hand. Any help would be

    greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > IAN