How do I delete a mailbox that "doesn't exist"?? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on How do I delete a mailbox that "doesn't exist"?? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am running Backup Exec for Windows Servers 9.0 (version 4544) and Exchange 5.5 (on Windows NT 4.0 on an NT domain). Just upgraded from 8.6 to 9.0 and am receiving an "new" error (did not have this error in ...

  1. How do I delete a mailbox that "doesn't exist"??

    I am running Backup Exec for Windows Servers 9.0 (version 4544) and Exchange
    5.5 (on Windows NT 4.0 on an NT domain).

    Just upgraded from 8.6 to 9.0 and am receiving an "new" error (did not have
    this error in 8.6):

    Backup - \\MyExchangeServerName\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory .Joe Smith [jSmith] and its
    subdirectories.

    Joe Smith is a former employee whose mailbox was deleted years ago (before I
    started with the company and I have been here 3 years). As a matter of
    fact, the Joe Smith mailbox must have been created on a different server --
    I moved all of the current mailboxes from one Exchange 5.5 server to
    "MyExchangeServerName" when the old server was running out of disk space
    (again, I have no recollection of this user or his mailbox).

    Does anyone know how I can delete this mailbox from Exchange 5.5 so it does
    not show up in Backup Exec? I can't find it anywhere in Exchange
    Administrator, yet Backup Exec has found it.

    If I uncheck this mailbox, my backup jobs will complete successfully, but
    this is only a quick fix -- any recommendations on "correctly" resolve this
    problem?

    BTW -- I know I should be on Active Directory and Exchange 2000 or 2003, but
    this is not financially feasible for this company at this time.

  2. Re: How do I delete a mailbox that "doesn't exist"??

    Might it be a hidden mailbox (5.5 has the ability to hide a mailbox from the
    GAL)?

    GaryK

    "Timothy Ross" wrote in message
    > I am running Backup Exec for Windows Servers 9.0 (version 4544) and

    Exchange
    > 5.5 (on Windows NT 4.0 on an NT domain).
    >
    > Just upgraded from 8.6 to 9.0 and am receiving an "new" error (did not

    have
    > this error in 8.6):
    >
    > Backup - \\MyExchangeServerName\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
    > Directory not found. Can not backup directory .Joe Smith [jSmith] and its
    > subdirectories.
    >
    > Joe Smith is a former employee whose mailbox was deleted years ago (before

    > started with the company and I have been here 3 years). As a matter of
    > fact, the Joe Smith mailbox must have been created on a different

    server --
    > I moved all of the current mailboxes from one Exchange 5.5 server to
    > "MyExchangeServerName" when the old server was running out of disk space
    > (again, I have no recollection of this user or his mailbox).
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can delete this mailbox from Exchange 5.5 so it

    does
    > not show up in Backup Exec? I can't find it anywhere in Exchange
    > Administrator, yet Backup Exec has found it.
    >
    > If I uncheck this mailbox, my backup jobs will complete successfully, but
    > this is only a quick fix -- any recommendations on "correctly" resolve

    this
    > problem?
    >
    > BTW -- I know I should be on Active Directory and Exchange 2000 or 2003,

    but
    > this is not financially feasible for this company at this time.

  3. Re: How do I delete a mailbox that "doesn't exist"??

    --
    >I moved all of the current mailboxes from one Exchange 5.5 server to
    >"MyExchangeServerName" when the old server was running out of disk space
    >(again, I have no recollection of this user or his mailbox).
    >
    >Does anyone know how I can delete this mailbox from Exchange 5.5 so it does
    >not show up in Backup Exec? I can't find it anywhere in Exchange
    >Administrator, yet Backup Exec has found it.
    >
    >If I uncheck this mailbox, my backup jobs will complete successfully, but
    >this is only a quick fix -- any recommendations on "correctly" resolve this
    >problem?
    >
    >BTW -- I know I should be on Active Directory and Exchange 2000 or 2003,

    but
    >this is not financially feasible for this company at this time.
    >

    >Have you tried re creating the mailbox in exchange leave it for one backup

    and then deleting it

  4. Excellent Idea!

    DW,

    Thank you for the suggestion (this is why I love newsgroups)!

    I created a Joe Smith mailbox (Exchange allowed me to create it -- normally
    it should say "mailbox already exists").
    Sent it a message.
    Backed up the mailbox (successful backup).
    Then in Exchange Admin, deleted the mailbox.

    Problem solved (mailbox no longer appears in Backup Exec).

    Thanks again for your suggestion,
    TR

    "DW" <@aol.com> wrote in message news:3f55b953@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > "Timothy Ross" wrote:
    > >I am running Backup Exec for Windows Servers 9.0 (version 4544) and

    Exchange
    > >5.5 (on Windows NT 4.0 on an NT domain).
    > >
    > >Just upgraded from 8.6 to 9.0 and am receiving an "new" error (did not

    have
    > >this error in 8.6):
    > >
    > >Backup - \\MyExchangeServerName\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
    > >Directory not found. Can not backup directory .Joe Smith [jSmith] and

    its
    > >subdirectories.
    > >
    > >Joe Smith is a former employee whose mailbox was deleted years ago

    (before
    > >started with the company and I have been here 3 years). As a matter of
    > >fact, the Joe Smith mailbox must have been created on a different server

    > --
    > >I moved all of the current mailboxes from one Exchange 5.5 server to
    > >"MyExchangeServerName" when the old server was running out of disk space
    > >(again, I have no recollection of this user or his mailbox).
    > >
    > >Does anyone know how I can delete this mailbox from Exchange 5.5 so it

    does
    > >not show up in Backup Exec? I can't find it anywhere in Exchange
    > >Administrator, yet Backup Exec has found it.
    > >
    > >If I uncheck this mailbox, my backup jobs will complete successfully, but
    > >this is only a quick fix -- any recommendations on "correctly" resolve

    this
    > >problem?
    > >
    > >BTW -- I know I should be on Active Directory and Exchange 2000 or 2003,

    > but
    > >this is not financially feasible for this company at this time.
    > >

    > >Have you tried re creating the mailbox in exchange leave it for one

    backup
    > and then deleting it

+ Reply to Thread