Backing up to specific tape - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backing up to specific tape - Veritas Backup Exec ; I need to backup specific servers to certain tapes, I have an autoloader and I still looking in the admin guide looking for info about, ie server01 need to backup to tape 1 and 2, server02 need to back up ...

  1. Backing up to specific tape

    I need to backup specific servers to certain tapes, I have an autoloader and
    I still looking in the admin guide looking for info about, ie server01 need
    to backup to tape 1 and 2, server02 need to back up only to tape 3 etc, what
    is your advice.
    thanks

  2. Re: Backing up to specific tape

    under devices, right click on autoloader you are using, configure partitions.

    Setup the number of slots you want for each partition. Thats about as close
    as you can get to getting a specific slot. When you do a backup then select
    the partion you want rather than the overall autoloader.

    "Gustavo Lazarte" wrote:

    >I need to backup specific servers to certain tapes, I have an autoloader

    and
    >I still looking in the admin guide looking for info about, ie server01 need
    >to backup to tape 1 and 2, server02 need to back up only to tape 3 etc,

    what
    >is your advice.
    >thanks

  3. Re: Backing up to specific tape

    Assumption: You want to backup the same data each night to a different tape.
    7 tapes per week.

    Create a new media set called Server 1. Give it a retention time of
    overwrite 6 days, 12 hours. (so that it won't be overwritten every night.)
    Don't move any tapes into this new media set yet. Create a 2nd media set
    called Holding Area. Give it a retention time of no overwrite and no append.
    Next, make sure your scratch media and imported media sets are empty.
    Finally, Create a backup job called Server 1. have it pull media from media
    set Server 1.

    For the first 7 days of the rotation, you will manually move 1 tape from the
    holding area to the Scratch Media set. (you can't move them directly into
    the Server 1 set since it will automatically set its retention time to 6.5
    days from now.) When BE runs your Server 1 job, it will look in the Server 1
    media set. it will find nothing that can be overwritten. It will
    automatically look in the scratch media set and/or the importable media set
    (based on how you set up BE.) It will find the tape in Scratch media that
    you moved in earlier that day and use it. It will then replace it in the
    Server 1 media set with a long enough retention time so that it won't get
    overwritten until 6.5 days have elapsed.

    Obviously, you will ahve to tailor the process to your setup, but the theory
    behind this is that if you assign specific tapes to specific media sets,
    then tell your jobs only to pull from those media sets, you will not risk
    overwriting tapes. The big thing to remember is to keep your scratch media
    set empty unless you need to add a new tape to your rotation or set.

    Good luck.

    "Gustavo Lazarte" wrote in message

    > I need to backup specific servers to certain tapes, I have an autoloader

    and
    > I still looking in the admin guide looking for info about, ie server01

    need
    > to backup to tape 1 and 2, server02 need to back up only to tape 3 etc,

    what
    > is your advice.
    > thanks

+ Reply to Thread