BE 8.6 problem - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 8.6 problem - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a Compaq StroageWorks SDLT Library, (MSL5026SL), which we use to back up all our servers. We do a full backup of each server every night Monday to Friday. BE is setup with media sets labelled Mon, Tue etc ...

  1. BE 8.6 problem

    I have a Compaq StroageWorks SDLT Library, (MSL5026SL), which we use to back
    up all our servers. We do a full backup of each server every night Monday
    to Friday. BE is setup with media sets labelled Mon, Tue etc and each
    storage group has a tape assigned, we also have one for mailbox backups.

    My problem is:

    Our mailbox backup starts first at 5:30pm using a tape labelled FXQ650, this
    completes OK. The main server backup starts at 8:00pm and uses the relevant
    tape from the daily media sets. Part of the way through the backup the
    system will stop using the daily tape and switch to using the mailbox tape
    FQX650.

    The media overwrite protection level is set to "none"

    The media overwrite options are set to "Overwrite scratch media before
    overwriting recyclable media contained in the target media set."

    What seems to happen is that the mailbox backup tape FQX650, once finished,
    is put into the media set of the daily backup rather than being returned to
    the mailbox media set. When the entire backup has completed and you look at
    that days media set you will find both tapes.

    Is there any way to prevent this?

    Thanks
    Paul

  2. Re: BE 8.6 problem

    If there are no allocated media available will this cause the backup to
    fail?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > Change the overwrite protection to "partial" rather than "none". The

    daily
    > job should look for a third, non-allocated tape then to finish up.
    >

    > "Paul" wrote:
    > >I have a Compaq StroageWorks SDLT Library, (MSL5026SL), which we use to

    > back
    > >up all our servers. We do a full backup of each server every night

    Monday
    > >to Friday. BE is setup with media sets labelled Mon, Tue etc and each
    > >storage group has a tape assigned, we also have one for mailbox backups.
    > >
    > >My problem is:
    > >
    > >Our mailbox backup starts first at 5:30pm using a tape labelled FXQ650,

    > this
    > >completes OK. The main server backup starts at 8:00pm and uses the

    relevant
    > >tape from the daily media sets. Part of the way through the backup the
    > >system will stop using the daily tape and switch to using the mailbox

    tape
    > >FQX650.
    > >
    > >The media overwrite protection level is set to "none"
    > >
    > >The media overwrite options are set to "Overwrite scratch media before
    > >overwriting recyclable media contained in the target media set."
    > >
    > >What seems to happen is that the mailbox backup tape FQX650, once

    finished,
    > >is put into the media set of the daily backup rather than being returned

    > >the mailbox media set. When the entire backup has completed and you look

    > at
    > >that days media set you will find both tapes.
    > >
    > >Is there any way to prevent this?
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >Paul

  3. Re: BE 8.6 problem

    "Paul" wrote:
    >I have a Compaq StroageWorks SDLT Library, (MSL5026SL), which we use to

    back
    >up all our servers. We do a full backup of each server every night Monday
    >to Friday. BE is setup with media sets labelled Mon, Tue etc and each
    >storage group has a tape assigned, we also have one for mailbox backups.
    >
    >My problem is:
    >
    >Our mailbox backup starts first at 5:30pm using a tape labelled FXQ650,

    this
    >completes OK. The main server backup starts at 8:00pm and uses the relevant
    >tape from the daily media sets. Part of the way through the backup the
    >system will stop using the daily tape and switch to using the mailbox tape
    >FQX650.
    >
    >The media overwrite protection level is set to "none"
    >
    >The media overwrite options are set to "Overwrite scratch media before
    >overwriting recyclable media contained in the target media set."
    >
    >What seems to happen is that the mailbox backup tape FQX650, once finished,
    >is put into the media set of the daily backup rather than being returned

    >the mailbox media set. When the entire backup has completed and you look

    at
    >that days media set you will find both tapes.
    >
    >Is there any way to prevent this?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Paul

+ Reply to Thread