HP 6x24 autoloader - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on HP 6x24 autoloader - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, All, Is anyone successfully using an HP 6x24 DDS3 autoloader witn BE9/4454 (W2K/SP1 server)? W2K sees it, and Device Manager says it's okay, but it's disabled in the Removable Storage snap-in. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing ...

  1. HP 6x24 autoloader

    Hi, All,

    Is anyone successfully using an HP 6x24 DDS3 autoloader witn BE9/4454
    (W2K/SP1 server)? W2K sees it, and Device Manager says it's okay, but it's
    disabled in the Removable Storage snap-in. Can anyone suggest what I might
    be doing wrong?

    TIA,

    GaryK

  2. Re: HP 6x24 autoloader

    Thanks for the note, David,

    I have received similar advice from Veritas about the drivers. If I'm able
    to resolve this issue, I'll let you know. Right now I'm stuck because the
    tape-device-driver update won't install.

    GaryK

    "David Ambokadze" wrote in message
    > Hello Gary,
    >
    > If the device is disabled in the RSM, it means that Veritas BE has

    installed
    > its own drivers, which are not recognized by RSM. If you want RSM to

    enable
    > the autoloader, you should install drivers supplied by HP. Also you should
    > manually configure registry settings for the Changer device if it cannot

    be
    > automatically configured.
    >
    > I faced the same problem that my HP (Compaq) Autoloader is not recognized

    by
    > Backup Exec, but haven't solved it yet. I got RSM and NT Backup to work

    with
    > the Autoloader, but BE still doesn't want to know anything about it. I

    think

    !

    > Cheers,
    > David
    >
    > "Gary Karasik" wrote in message
    > > Hi, All,
    > >
    > > Is anyone successfully using an HP 6x24 DDS3 autoloader witn BE9/4454
    > > (W2K/SP1 server)? W2K sees it, and Device Manager says it's okay, but

    it's
    > > disabled in the Removable Storage snap-in. Can anyone suggest what I

    might
    > > be doing wrong?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > GaryK

  3. Re: HP 6x24 autoloader

    > Hi, All,
    >
    > Is anyone successfully using an HP 6x24 DDS3 autoloader witn BE9/4454
    > (W2K/SP1 server)? W2K sees it, and Device Manager says it's okay, but it's
    > disabled in the Removable Storage snap-in. Can anyone suggest what I might
    > be doing wrong?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > GaryK

  4. Re: HP 6x24 autoloader

    Which tape-device-driver update are you installing?

    > Thanks for the note, David,
    >
    > I have received similar advice from Veritas about the drivers. If I'm able
    > to resolve this issue, I'll let you know. Right now I'm stuck because the
    > tape-device-driver update won't install.
    >
    > GaryK
    >
    > "David Ambokadze" wrote in message
    > > Hello Gary,
    > >
    > > If the device is disabled in the RSM, it means that Veritas BE has

    > installed
    > > its own drivers, which are not recognized by RSM. If you want RSM to

    > enable
    > > the autoloader, you should install drivers supplied by HP. Also you

    should
    > > manually configure registry settings for the Changer device if it cannot

    > be
    > > automatically configured.
    > >
    > > I faced the same problem that my HP (Compaq) Autoloader is not

    recognized
    > by
    > > Backup Exec, but haven't solved it yet. I got RSM and NT Backup to work

    > with
    > > the Autoloader, but BE still doesn't want to know anything about it. I

    > think
    > > it is Veritas issue, because it doesn't supply drivers for the

    Autoloader,
    > > only for the Tape Drive inside the library, and the Autoloader uses

    Compaq
    > > drivers which are also useless for Veritas Backup Exec.
    > >
    > > If you somehow fix the problem, please make me know, I have made several
    > > postings on this issue, but nobody has answered with the real solution

    yet
    > !
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > David
    > >
    > > "Gary Karasik" wrote in message
    > > > Hi, All,
    > > >
    > > > Is anyone successfully using an HP 6x24 DDS3 autoloader witn BE9/4454
    > > > (W2K/SP1 server)? W2K sees it, and Device Manager says it's okay, but

    > it's
    > > > disabled in the Removable Storage snap-in. Can anyone suggest what I

    > might
    > > > be doing wrong?
    > > >
    > > > TIA,
    > > >
    > > > GaryK

  5. Re: HP 6x24 autoloader

    BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall_261555.exe.

    You can DL it from the Veritas download site. As I read the documentation,
    it's dependent on 4454_Hotfix2, which is also available there. (There's also
    4454_Hotfix6). Veritas support claim this will fix the problem with the
    changer. We'll see.

    > Which tape-device-driver update are you installing?
    >

    > "Gary Karasik" wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the note, David,
    > >
    > > I have received similar advice from Veritas about the drivers. If I'm

    able
    > > to resolve this issue, I'll let you know. Right now I'm stuck because

    the
    > > tape-device-driver update won't install.
    > >
    > > GaryK
    > >
    > > "David Ambokadze" wrote in message
    > > > Hello Gary,
    > > >
    > > > If the device is disabled in the RSM, it means that Veritas BE has

    > > installed
    > > > its own drivers, which are not recognized by RSM. If you want RSM to

    > > enable
    > > > the autoloader, you should install drivers supplied by HP. Also you

    > should
    > > > manually configure registry settings for the Changer device if it

    cannot
    > > be
    > > > automatically configured.
    > > >
    > > > I faced the same problem that my HP (Compaq) Autoloader is not

    > recognized
    > > by
    > > > Backup Exec, but haven't solved it yet. I got RSM and NT Backup to

    work
    > > with
    > > > the Autoloader, but BE still doesn't want to know anything about it. I

    > > think
    > > > it is Veritas issue, because it doesn't supply drivers for the

    > Autoloader,
    > > > only for the Tape Drive inside the library, and the Autoloader uses

    > Compaq
    > > > drivers which are also useless for Veritas Backup Exec.
    > > >
    > > > If you somehow fix the problem, please make me know, I have made

    several
    > > > postings on this issue, but nobody has answered with the real solution

    > yet
    > > !
    > > >
    > > > Cheers,
    > > > David
    > > >
    > > > "Gary Karasik" wrote in message

    BE9/4454

    but
    > > it's

    > > might

  6. Re: SOLVED !!! HP 6x24 autoloader (ALL AUTOLOADERS!!!)

    David,

    Would it be too much trouble for you to export the reg keys you're
    describing and email them to me (gkarasik@fea.net)?

    GaryK
    "David
    "David Ambokadze" wrote in message
    Hlleo Gary,

    I just have found the solution to this problem. No Hot Fix, no Driver
    update, no new revision is required for it, just check one thing in your
    system registry, add some key and enjoy )

    First, check the driver name for your Changer device in the Device Manager,
    then find the registry entry with the same name under the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\ and find a key
    \Enum under the device driver. It should contain the string value "0"
    something like this :

    Root\LEGACY_SONY7000\0000

    You must create the string value named "1" and enter the configuration
    parameters string for the Changer, you can find the parameters string in the
    System Log, when the driver is installed for the device. In my case it was
    such way:

    Following is the driver for my Compaq AutoLoader Tape Drive:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sonysdx-VRTS\Enum

    and contains the string value "1":

    SCSI\Sequential&Ven_COMPAQ&Prod_TSL-10000&Rev_5.10\4&3220402a&0&060

    also there is a key for the AutoLoader Driver:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Sony7000\Enum

    and..... It doesn't contain a string value "1". I just have added it
    manually with the following value data:

    SCSI\Changer&Ven_COMPAQ&Prod_TSL-10000&Rev_5.10\4&3220402a&0&061

    I got this string from the System Log, it looks like this :

    Received a device interface ARRIVAL notification for device:
    \\?\SCSI#Changer&Ven_COMPAQ&Prod_TSL-10000&Rev_5.10#4&3220402a&0&061#{53f563
    10-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

    I just replaced the "#" symbols with "\" and removed the string within
    brackets {53f56310-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}, it is looks like the string
    value for the Tape Drive.

    Then you should remove the drive from BE and configure it again with the
    Device Configuration Wizard.

    That's all :-))

    > BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall_261555.exe.
    >
    > You can DL it from the Veritas download site. As I read the documentation,
    > it's dependent on 4454_Hotfix2, which is also available there. (There's

    also
    > 4454_Hotfix6). Veritas support claim this will fix the problem with the
    > changer. We'll see.
    >
    > GaryK
    >
    > "David Ambokadze" wrote in message
    > > Which tape-device-driver update are you installing?
    > >

    > > "Gary Karasik" wrote in message
    > > > Thanks for the note, David,
    > > >
    > > > I have received similar advice from Veritas about the drivers. If I'm

    > able
    > > > to resolve this issue, I'll let you know. Right now I'm stuck because

    > the
    > > > tape-device-driver update won't install.
    > > >
    > > > GaryK
    > > >
    > > > "David Ambokadze" wrote in message

    > > > installed
    > > > enable

    > > should

    > cannot
    > > > be

    > > recognized
    > > > by

    > work
    > > > with

    > > > think

    > > Autoloader,

    > > Compaq

    > several

    solution
    > > yet
    > > > !

    > BE9/4454

    > but
    > > > it's

    > > > might

  7. Re: SOLVED !!! HP 6x24 autoloader (ALL AUTOLOADERS!!!)

    Hello Gary,

    Let me assist you in this regard. Your configuration should be as follows:

    Registry Entry for your HP 6x24 AutoLoader Tape Drive should be:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\04mmdat\Enum

    Under the String Value "1" you should find something like this:

    SCSI\Sequential&Ven_HP&Prod_C1557A&Rev_5.10\4&3220402a&0&060 (last digits
    should be differrent)

    Registry Entry for your HP 6x24 AutoLoader Changer should be:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\HP155xLd\Enum

    Under the Enum key, you SHOULD NOT see any string values like this:

    SCSI\Changer&Ven_HP&Prod_C155&Rev_5.10\4&3220402a&0&061 (last digits should
    be like those for Tape Drive, but the LUN number should be differrent, this
    is the very last digit, "1" in this case)

    BUT YOU SHOULD ADD this string with the value named "1". You can find and
    copy the required string from the registry key of the Changer device driver
    supplied with Window 2000 by Microsoft, the service name should be "DDSMC"

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\DDSMC\Enum

    This driver is supplied by Microsoft and intalled by defalut when you
    connect the AutoLoader to server, but it doesn't work with Veritas BE.

> [...]

    string
    > value for the Tape Drive.
    >
    > Then you should remove the drive from BE and configure it again with the
    > Device Configuration Wizard.
    >
    > That's all :-))
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David
    >
    > "Gary Karasik" wrote in message
    > > BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall_261555.exe.
    > >
    > > You can DL it from the Veritas download site. As I read the

    documentation,
    > > it's dependent on 4454_Hotfix2, which is also available there. (There's

    > also
    > > 4454_Hotfix6). Veritas support claim this will fix the problem with the
    > > changer. We'll see.
    > >
    > > GaryK
    > >
    > > "David Ambokadze" wrote in message
    > > > Which tape-device-driver update are you installing?

  8. Re: SOLVED !!! HP 6x24 autoloader (ALL AUTOLOADERS!!!)

    Thanks you, David.

> [...]

    > > 10-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
    > >
    > > I just replaced the "#" symbols with "\" and removed the string within
    > > brackets {53f56310-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}, it is looks like the

    > string
    > > value for the Tape Drive.
    > >
    > > Then you should remove the drive from BE and configure it again with the
    > > Device Configuration Wizard.
    > >
    > > That's all :-))
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > David
    > >
    > > "Gary Karasik" wrote in message
    > > > BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall_261555.exe.
    > > >
    > > > You can DL it from the Veritas download site. As I read the

    > documentation,
    > > > it's dependent on 4454_Hotfix2, which is also available there.

    (There's
    > > also
    > > > 4454_Hotfix6). Veritas support claim this will fix the problem with

+ Reply to Thread