BE backup multiple locations - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE backup multiple locations - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have a dilemma we have a main site with multiple connections (128k) and wish to back up them. Currently I use MSbackup to back up the data at each site this is then pushed up to the backup server ...

  1. BE backup multiple locations

    We have a dilemma we have a main site with multiple connections (128k)
    and wish to back up them.

    Currently I use MSbackup to back up the data at each site this is then
    pushed up to the backup server and backed on to tape using Backup Exec
    8.6.

    The problem we have is if any of the remote backup's fail we have no
    notification; we only have notification if the main backup fails using
    the notification options.

    I have tried using BE to backup the sites but because each site is
    processed one at a time it takes too long to complete the job.

    Is it possible to make BE backup multiple locations at the same time
    (server 1 & server 2 etc.) the only option I can see is to have Backup
    Exec on each site to push up to the main site (but this is costly).

    OS Windows 2000 + Backup Exec 8.6

    I'm grateful for any input on this.

  2. Re: BE backup multiple locations

    You could use the BackupToDisk feature using as much
    backup folders (devices) as you have machines to back up.
    You point each job to the respective device/folder.
    If one of these jobs fails, you will get a notification.
    After completion you can copy these backup sets from disk
    to tape.

    Hope this works with 8.6 ...

    "Steve Mold" wrote:
    >We have a dilemma we have a main site with multiple connections (128k)
    >and wish to back up them.
    >
    >Currently I use MSbackup to back up the data at each site this is then
    >pushed up to the backup server and backed on to tape using Backup Exec
    >8.6.
    >
    >The problem we have is if any of the remote backup's fail we have no
    >notification; we only have notification if the main backup fails using
    >the notification options.
    >
    >I have tried using BE to backup the sites but because each site is
    >processed one at a time it takes too long to complete the job.
    >
    >Is it possible to make BE backup multiple locations at the same time
    >(server 1 & server 2 etc.) the only option I can see is to have Backup
    >Exec on each site to push up to the main site (but this is costly).
    >
    >OS Windows 2000 + Backup Exec 8.6
    >
    >I'm grateful for any input on this.

+ Reply to Thread