Compaq DDS4 Autoloader with BE 9.0 for Win2000 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Compaq DDS4 Autoloader with BE 9.0 for Win2000 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have problems with Compaq DDS4 Autoloader (TSL-10000), Backup Exec 9.0 doesn't recognize the Changer device, only the Tape Drive is recognized as "Standalone". I have installed all versions of drivers including those supplied from Veritas, from Compaq, even from ...

  1. Compaq DDS4 Autoloader with BE 9.0 for Win2000

    I have problems with Compaq DDS4 Autoloader (TSL-10000), Backup Exec 9.0
    doesn't recognize the Changer device, only the Tape Drive is recognized as
    "Standalone". I have installed all versions of drivers including those
    supplied from Veritas, from Compaq, even from Sony (TSL-10000 is a Sony OEM
    device), but without any success. I've got Windows 2000 RSM (Removable
    Storage Manager) to recognize both Changer and Tape Drive, even MS Backup
    can use them. But I found no way to use the Changer device to use with
    Backup Exec. At the very early stage of experiments I've got a moment when
    BE has recognized the Changer, but when I restarted the server, everything
    has gone back. I have found many postings regarding this issue, but in fact,
    no answers to them. I have tried all possible configurations, disabled
    devices SCSIChanger and Sonysdx-VRTS, enabled them back, deleted the Tape
    Device from BE and reconfigured many times, reinstalled Backup Exec,
    upgraded to new build 4454, applied patches, installed new tape device
    drivers for BE, but all without any success. All hardware is compatible with
    all other ones installed into the server, all requirements and
    recommendations are met, but....

  2. Re: Compaq DDS4 Autoloader with BE 9.0 for Win2000

    David,

    I think the SCSI Id of the autloader needs to be less than the SCSI Id of
    the tape drive.

    i.e.

    autoloader SCSI Id 2
    tape drive SCSI Id 3

    Hope this helps

    Ian.

    "David Ambokadze" wrote in message
    > I have problems with Compaq DDS4 Autoloader (TSL-10000), Backup Exec 9.0
    > doesn't recognize the Changer device, only the Tape Drive is recognized as
    > "Standalone". I have installed all versions of drivers including those
    > supplied from Veritas, from Compaq, even from Sony (TSL-10000 is a Sony

    OEM
    > device), but without any success. I've got Windows 2000 RSM (Removable
    > Storage Manager) to recognize both Changer and Tape Drive, even MS Backup
    > can use them. But I found no way to use the Changer device to use with
    > Backup Exec. At the very early stage of experiments I've got a moment when
    > BE has recognized the Changer, but when I restarted the server, everything
    > has gone back. I have found many postings regarding this issue, but in

    fact,
    > no answers to them. I have tried all possible configurations, disabled
    > devices SCSIChanger and Sonysdx-VRTS, enabled them back, deleted the Tape
    > Device from BE and reconfigured many times, reinstalled Backup Exec,
    > upgraded to new build 4454, applied patches, installed new tape device
    > drivers for BE, but all without any success. All hardware is compatible

    with
    > all other ones installed into the server, all requirements and
    > recommendations are met, but....

  3. Re: Compaq DDS4 Autoloader with BE 9.0 for Win2000

    Thanks Ian,
    But I know all these requirements that SCSI ID of the autoloader should be
    less than that of the tape drive when the device is Multi-ID, and the LUN
    number of autoloader should be greater than that of the drive when the
    device is Mutli-LUN. I have the Mutli-LUN device and the LUN # of the
    changer is 1 and the drive is 0. The SCSI ID of the whole device is 6, and
    it is the only device on the bus. The thing is that Windows can recognize
    the device correctly, but the Backup Exec can't. I've got the log file of
    the BE device configuration diagnostics, here it is:

    [1272] 08/11/03 17:25:37 Device Discovery:

    Scsi Address
    Prt :Bus :Tar :Lun Attributes
    ------------------- -------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------

    0002:0000:0006:0000 Device Name "\\.\Tape0"
    Primary Inquiry "COMPAQ 20/40GB DAT 8 AL5.10"
    Secondary Inquiry "COMPAQ TSL-10000 5.10"
    Serial Number "COMPAQ TSL-10000
    0008502694"
    Device Flags SCSI, SN(TYPE 1)
    Device State 3, Online

    Device IDs 1002,
    {DE7DE2CE-161C-409E-A888-34CB0C12668D}
    Device Name "COMPAQ 1"
    Device Type 16785408, "4MM 8K (32K,10,7,E)"
    Device Features 0x00001000
    Device Element 0, 0

    0002:0000:0006:0001 Device Name ""
    Primary Inquiry "COMPAQ TSL-10000 5.10"
    Serial Number ""
    Device Flags SCSI
    Device State 1, Offline, ERROR = 0x0000007B
    (ERROR_INVALID_NAME)

    What does it mean? Why the Changer is Offline??

    "Ian Buckley" wrote in message
    > David,
    >
    > I think the SCSI Id of the autloader needs to be less than the SCSI Id of
    > the tape drive.
    >
    > i.e.
    >
    > autoloader SCSI Id 2
    > tape drive SCSI Id 3
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > Ian.
    >

    > "David Ambokadze" wrote in message
    > > I have problems with Compaq DDS4 Autoloader (TSL-10000), Backup Exec 9.0
    > > doesn't recognize the Changer device, only the Tape Drive is recognized

    as
    > > "Standalone". I have installed all versions of drivers including those
    > > supplied from Veritas, from Compaq, even from Sony (TSL-10000 is a Sony

    > OEM
    > > device), but without any success. I've got Windows 2000 RSM (Removable
    > > Storage Manager) to recognize both Changer and Tape Drive, even MS

    Backup
    > > can use them. But I found no way to use the Changer device to use with
    > > Backup Exec. At the very early stage of experiments I've got a moment

    when
    > > BE has recognized the Changer, but when I restarted the server,

    everything
    > > has gone back. I have found many postings regarding this issue, but in

    > fact,
    > > no answers to them. I have tried all possible configurations, disabled
    > > devices SCSIChanger and Sonysdx-VRTS, enabled them back, deleted the

    Tape
    > > Device from BE and reconfigured many times, reinstalled Backup Exec,
    > > upgraded to new build 4454, applied patches, installed new tape device
    > > drivers for BE, but all without any success. All hardware is compatible

    > with
    > > all other ones installed into the server, all requirements and
    > > recommendations are met, but....

+ Reply to Thread