Backing up SQL 2000 Databases over the network? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backing up SQL 2000 Databases over the network? - Veritas Backup Exec ; We just purchased BE9.0 and I installed it along with the SQL agent on a SQL server. From that server, we are trying to backup another SQL server over the network, but it's not backing up the databases. I get ...

  1. Backing up SQL 2000 Databases over the network?

    We just purchased BE9.0 and I installed it along with the SQL agent on a SQL
    server. From that server, we are trying to backup another SQL server over
    the network, but it's not backing up the databases. I get these messages
    under the Error tab in the Job Log for all of the databases: "An error occured
    on a query to database . Backup database is terminating abnormally."
    I also get these messages under the Exceptions tab in the Job Log for all
    of the databases: "The item \ in use - item skipped."

    Anybody know what these messages mean? Is there some special setting that
    I must make in order to backup SQL databases over the network? Do I have
    to select the none option under the file locking options? Kind of new the
    Veritas.

  2. Re: Backing up SQL 2000 Databases over the network?

    Did you also purchase and install a copy of the RemoteAgent on the second
    SQL server?

    "Andrew" wrote in message

    > We just purchased BE9.0 and I installed it along with the SQL agent on a

    SQL
    > server. From that server, we are trying to backup another SQL server over
    > the network, but it's not backing up the databases. I get these messages
    > under the Error tab in the Job Log for all of the databases: "An error

    occured
    > on a query to database . Backup database is terminating

    abnormally."
    > I also get these messages under the Exceptions tab in the Job Log for

    all
    > of the databases: "The item \ in use - item

    skipped."

    > Anybody know what these messages mean? Is there some special setting that
    > I must make in order to backup SQL databases over the network? Do I have
    > to select the none option under the file locking options? Kind of new the
    > Veritas.

  3. Re: Backing up SQL 2000 Databases over the network?

    Well I purchased the license for it, but after installing BE and the agent,
    it looked to me that I didn't need to install the remote agent. The Exchange
    backup works over the network so I figured the SQL would too. Do I need
    to install the remote agent on the second server?

    "ken putnam" wrote:
    >Did you also purchase and install a copy of the RemoteAgent on the second
    >SQL server?
    >

    >"Andrew" wrote in message
    >>
    >> We just purchased BE9.0 and I installed it along with the SQL agent on

    >SQL
    >> server. From that server, we are trying to backup another SQL server

    over
    >> the network, but it's not backing up the databases. I get these messages
    >> under the Error tab in the Job Log for all of the databases: "An error

    >occured
    >> on a query to database . Backup database is terminating

    >abnormally."
    >> I also get these messages under the Exceptions tab in the Job Log for

    >all
    >> of the databases: "The item \ in use - item

    >skipped."
    >>
    >> Anybody know what these messages mean? Is there some special setting

    that
    >> I must make in order to backup SQL databases over the network? Do I have
    >> to select the none option under the file locking options? Kind of new

    the
    >> Veritas.

  4. Re: Backing up SQL 2000 Databases over the network?

    Yes you need to purchase a remote agent for the second sql server

    "Andrew" wrote:

    >Well I purchased the license for it, but after installing BE and the agent,
    >it looked to me that I didn't need to install the remote agent. The Exchange
    >backup works over the network so I figured the SQL would too. Do I need
    >to install the remote agent on the second server?
    >
    >"ken putnam" wrote:
    >>Did you also purchase and install a copy of the RemoteAgent on the second
    >>SQL server?
    >>

    >>"Andrew" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> We just purchased BE9.0 and I installed it along with the SQL agent on

    >>SQL
    >>> server. From that server, we are trying to backup another SQL server

    >over
    >>> the network, but it's not backing up the databases. I get these messages
    >>> under the Error tab in the Job Log for all of the databases: "An error

    >>occured
    >>> on a query to database . Backup database is terminating

    >>abnormally."
    >>> I also get these messages under the Exceptions tab in the Job Log for

    >>all
    >>> of the databases: "The item \ in use - item

    >>skipped."
    >>>
    >>> Anybody know what these messages mean? Is there some special setting

    >that
    >>> I must make in order to backup SQL databases over the network? Do I

    have
    >>> to select the none option under the file locking options? Kind of new

    >the
    >>> Veritas.

  5. Re: Backing up SQL 2000 Databases over the network?

    Also, I believe the message you are getting is from selecting the SQL DBs
    on that second sql server, just make sure not to try to backup the SQL data
    sources to avoid that error if you dont need to backup the DBs.

    "Rob" wrote:

    >Yes you need to purchase a remote agent for the second sql server
    >
    >"Andrew" wrote:
    >>
    >>Well I purchased the license for it, but after installing BE and the agent,
    >>it looked to me that I didn't need to install the remote agent. The Exchange
    >>backup works over the network so I figured the SQL would too. Do I need
    >>to install the remote agent on the second server?
    >>
    >>"ken putnam" wrote:
    >>>Did you also purchase and install a copy of the RemoteAgent on the second
    >>>SQL server?
    >>>

    >>>"Andrew" wrote in message

    on
    >>>SQL

    >>over
    >>>occured
    >>>abnormally."

    for
    >>>all
    >>>skipped."

    >>that

    >have

    >>the

  6. Re: Backing up SQL 2000 Databases over the network?

    That's interesting. I don't have a remote agent installed on our Exchange
    server and backups work fine over the network. I'll give it a shot and see
    what happens.

    "Rob" wrote:

    >Also, I believe the message you are getting is from selecting the SQL DBs
    >on that second sql server, just make sure not to try to backup the SQL data
    >sources to avoid that error if you dont need to backup the DBs.
    >
    >"Rob" wrote:
    >>
    >>Yes you need to purchase a remote agent for the second sql server
    >>
    >>"Andrew" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Well I purchased the license for it, but after installing BE and the agent,
    >>>it looked to me that I didn't need to install the remote agent. The Exchange
    >>>backup works over the network so I figured the SQL would too. Do I need
    >>>to install the remote agent on the second server?

    >on
    >>>over

    >for

    >>>that

    >>have

    new
    >>>the

  7. Re: Backing up SQL 2000 Databases over the network?

    I installed the remote agent yesterday, and the backup failed again last night
    with the same log messages. I don't have to configure anything after I install
    the agent do I?

    "Andrew" wrote:

    >That's interesting. I don't have a remote agent installed on our Exchange
    >server and backups work fine over the network. I'll give it a shot and

    see
    >what happens.
    >
    >"Rob" wrote:
    >>
    >>Also, I believe the message you are getting is from selecting the SQL DBs
    >>on that second sql server, just make sure not to try to backup the SQL

    data
    >>sources to avoid that error if you dont need to backup the DBs.
    >>
    >>"Rob" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Yes you need to purchase a remote agent for the second sql server

    agent,

    Exchange

    >>on

    >>for

    >>>have

    >new

  8. Re: Backing up SQL 2000 Databases over the network?

    Do I need to install the remote agent serial on the main backup server as
    well (the one that's actually running the backup job)?

    "Andrew" wrote:

    >I installed the remote agent yesterday, and the backup failed again last

    night
    >with the same log messages. I don't have to configure anything after I

    install
    >the agent do I?
    >
    >"Andrew" wrote:
    >>
    >>That's interesting. I don't have a remote agent installed on our Exchange
    >>server and backups work fine over the network. I'll give it a shot and

    >see
    >>what happens.
    >>
    >>"Rob" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Also, I believe the message you are getting is from selecting the SQL

    DBs
    >>>on that second sql server, just make sure not to try to backup the SQL

    >data
    >>>sources to avoid that error if you dont need to backup the DBs.

    >agent,

    >Exchange

    need

    second

    >>>on

    messages

    error
    >>>for

    >>new

  9. Re: Backing up SQL 2000 Databases over the network?

    Yes, until youi enter the RemoteAgent serial on the Media Server, the
    functionality is not unlocked

    "Andrew" wrote in message

    > Do I need to install the remote agent serial on the main backup server as
    > well (the one that's actually running the backup job)?
    >
    > "Andrew" wrote:
    > >
    > >I installed the remote agent yesterday, and the backup failed again last

    > night
    > >with the same log messages. I don't have to configure anything after I

    > install
    > >the agent do I?
    > >
    > >"Andrew" wrote:
    > >>
    > >>That's interesting. I don't have a remote agent installed on our

    Exchange
    > >>server and backups work fine over the network. I'll give it a shot and

    > >see
    > >>what happens.

    > DBs

    > >data

    > >agent,

    > >Exchange

    > need

    > second

    agent

    server

    > messages

    > error

    terminating

    Log

    setting
    > >>new

  10. Re: Backing up SQL 2000 Databases over the network?

    I installed the Remote Agent serial on both servers, and the backups still
    failed last night with the same erros in the job log. Anything else I'm
    missing. Any configuration changes that I need to make after installing
    the agents?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >Yes, until youi enter the RemoteAgent serial on the Media Server, the
    >functionality is not unlocked
    >

    >"Andrew" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Do I need to install the remote agent serial on the main backup server

    as
    >> well (the one that's actually running the backup job)?
    >>
    >> "Andrew" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >I installed the remote agent yesterday, and the backup failed again last

    >> night
    >> >with the same log messages. I don't have to configure anything after

    >> install
    >> >the agent do I?

    >Exchange

    and
    >> >see

    >> DBs

    SQL
    >> >data

    the
    >> >agent,

    The
    >> >Exchange

    >> need

    >> second

    >agent

    >server

    >> messages

    >> error

    >terminating

    >Log

    >setting

    Do

    of

  11. Re: Backing up SQL 2000 Databases over the network?

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 14:05:26 -0500, Andrew wrote:

    > I installed the Remote Agent serial on both servers, and the backups still
    > failed last night with the same erros in the job log. Anything else I'm
    > missing. Any configuration changes that I need to make after installing
    > the agents?

    Did you install the MSSQL Client software on the backup server? Also,
    patch the client to the same code level as the SQL Server?

    Alex Moore

+ Reply to Thread