Problem: Cannot properly communicate with Remote Agent. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Problem: Cannot properly communicate with Remote Agent. - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have backup server (Win2000, AD domain controller) with Backup Exec v 9.0.4454 and another server (Win2000, Domino server) with BE remote agent 9.0.4454 installed. Second server is standalone and behind the firewall. All tcp traffic is permitted on both ...

  1. Problem: Cannot properly communicate with Remote Agent.

    We have backup server (Win2000, AD domain controller) with Backup Exec v 9.0.4454
    and another server (Win2000, Domino server) with BE remote agent 9.0.4454
    installed. Second server is standalone and behind the firewall. All tcp traffic
    is permitted on both sides, but the connection is established only on 10000
    port, the backup job stays in Pre-processing mode for 5-7 minutes and then
    exits with the following error: Cannot communicate with Backup Exec Remote
    Agent. But I can reach and backup another server that is in the same network
    with backup server. Please help to resolve this issue.

  2. Re: Problem: Cannot properly communicate with Remote Agent.

    "Dmitry" wrote:

    >We have backup server (Win2000, AD domain controller) with Backup Exec v

    9.0.4454
    >and another server (Win2000, Domino server) with BE remote agent 9.0.4454
    >installed. Second server is standalone and behind the firewall. All tcp

    traffic
    >is permitted on both sides, but the connection is established only on 10000
    >port, the backup job stays in Pre-processing mode for 5-7 minutes and then
    >exits with the following error: Cannot communicate with Backup Exec Remote
    >Agent. But I can reach and backup another server that is in the same network
    >with backup server. Please help to resolve this issue.

    There is a handshake situation going on between servers that involves at
    least 3 ports besides 10000. To make it work specify a range of TCP ports
    for the media server and the remote agent in BU Exec Tools/options/network
    properties. The range suggested was 10001-10051 for the media server and
    10052-10075 for the remote agent. Make sure your firewall is allowing the
    connections and that there is no rule being applied. Check the logs to be
    sure.
    I'm told that this information is in the Veritas KB somewhere but I couldn't
    find it. Hope this helps.

  3. Re: Problem: Cannot properly communicate with Remote Agent.

    In addition to port 10000 and the ports you specify in
    Options->Network->Ports, you also have to be able to ping your backup server
    from the machine being backed up. Found this out the hard way after digging
    through my firewall logs.

    -Howard

    "Waverly Randall" wrote in message

    > "Dmitry" wrote:
    > >
    > >We have backup server (Win2000, AD domain controller) with Backup Exec v

    > 9.0.4454
    > >and another server (Win2000, Domino server) with BE remote agent 9.0.4454
    > >installed. Second server is standalone and behind the firewall. All tcp

    > traffic
    > >is permitted on both sides, but the connection is established only on

    10000
    > >port, the backup job stays in Pre-processing mode for 5-7 minutes and

    then
    > >exits with the following error: Cannot communicate with Backup Exec

    Remote
    > >Agent. But I can reach and backup another server that is in the same

    network
    > >with backup server. Please help to resolve this issue.

    > There is a handshake situation going on between servers that involves at
    > least 3 ports besides 10000. To make it work specify a range of TCP ports
    > for the media server and the remote agent in BU Exec Tools/options/network
    > properties. The range suggested was 10001-10051 for the media server and
    > 10052-10075 for the remote agent. Make sure your firewall is allowing the
    > connections and that there is no rule being applied. Check the logs to be
    > sure.
    > I'm told that this information is in the Veritas KB somewhere but I

    couldn't
    > find it. Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread