append to tape2 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on append to tape2 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Only if the two jobs write to the same media set. "Tim ZZZ" wrote in message news:3f1bf762@ROSASTDMZ05.... > > Here's the (simplified) scenario: > > Backup Exec 8.6. > Two backup jobs running to tape library containing two tape drives ...

  1. Re: append to tape2

    "Tim ZZZ" wrote in message

    > Here's the (simplified) scenario:
    >
    > Backup Exec 8.6.
    > Two backup jobs running to tape library containing two tape drives and two
    > tapes available for both jobs. Job 1 runs and completely fills tape1, and
    > at the same time Job 2 runs but only partially fills tape 2.
    >
    > Should it be possible to get Job1 to continue and append onto tape 2?
    >
    > (Media has overwrite protection set to 1 week, and append time set to 1

    week.
    > The jobs are set to 'append, or overwrite if no appendable available'.)
    >
    > Thanks for any help...

  2. append to tape2

    Here's the (simplified) scenario:

    Backup Exec 8.6.
    Two backup jobs running to tape library containing two tape drives and two
    tapes available for both jobs. Job 1 runs and completely fills tape1, and
    at the same time Job 2 runs but only partially fills tape 2.

    Should it be possible to get Job1 to continue and append onto tape 2?

    (Media has overwrite protection set to 1 week, and append time set to 1 week.
    The jobs are set to 'append, or overwrite if no appendable available'.)

    Thanks for any help...

  3. Re: append to tape2

    Is job one pointed at the specific drive, or at the library in general?
    Has Job2 completed when Job1 asks for a new tape? if Job one looks for an
    appendable tape and doesn't find it, all it will accept after that is an
    overwritable tape.

    "Tim ZZZ" wrote in message

    > yep, same media set, but Job1 justs sits there asking for overwritable

    media
    > to be loaded, whilst tape 2 is clearly available to append to...
    >

    > "ken putnam" wrote:
    > >Only if the two jobs write to the same media set.
    > >

    > >"Tim ZZZ" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Here's the (simplified) scenario:
    > >>
    > >> Backup Exec 8.6.
    > >> Two backup jobs running to tape library containing two tape drives and

    > two
    > >> tapes available for both jobs. Job 1 runs and completely fills tape1,

    > and
    > >> at the same time Job 2 runs but only partially fills tape 2.
    > >>
    > >> Should it be possible to get Job1 to continue and append onto tape 2?
    > >>
    > >> (Media has overwrite protection set to 1 week, and append time set to

    > 1
    > >week.
    > >> The jobs are set to 'append, or overwrite if no appendable

    available'.)

    > >> Thanks for any help...

  4. Re: append to tape2

    "ken putnam" wrote:
    >Only if the two jobs write to the same media set.
    >

    >"Tim ZZZ" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Here's the (simplified) scenario:
    >>
    >> Backup Exec 8.6.
    >> Two backup jobs running to tape library containing two tape drives and

    two
    >> tapes available for both jobs. Job 1 runs and completely fills tape1,

    and
    >> at the same time Job 2 runs but only partially fills tape 2.
    >>
    >> Should it be possible to get Job1 to continue and append onto tape 2?
    >>
    >> (Media has overwrite protection set to 1 week, and append time set to

    1
    >week.
    >> The jobs are set to 'append, or overwrite if no appendable available'.)
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help...

  5. Re: append to tape2

    On 21 Jul 2003 09:23:30 -0500, Tim ZZZ wrote:

    > Backup Exec 8.6.
    > Two backup jobs running to tape library containing two tape drives and two
    > tapes available for both jobs. Job 1 runs and completely fills tape1, and
    > at the same time Job 2 runs but only partially fills tape 2.
    >
    > Should it be possible to get Job1 to continue and append onto tape 2?

    No. When a job spans onto a second tape, the second tape *must* be
    empty - it can't append the data to the tape.

    --
    Mark Hill
    #include

  6. Re: append to tape2

    Thanks for your help. Both jobs are pointed to the library to use either tape
    drive. Job2 completes hours before Job1 needs a new tape, so the appendable
    tape is ready and waiting when required.

    "ken putnam" wrote:
    >Is job one pointed at the specific drive, or at the library in general?
    >Has Job2 completed when Job1 asks for a new tape? if Job one looks for

    an
    >appendable tape and doesn't find it, all it will accept after that is an
    >overwritable tape.
    >

    >"Tim ZZZ" wrote in message
    >>
    >> yep, same media set, but Job1 justs sits there asking for overwritable

    >media
    >> to be loaded, whilst tape 2 is clearly available to append to...
    >>

    >> "ken putnam" wrote:
    >> >Only if the two jobs write to the same media set.
    >> >

    >> >"Tim ZZZ" wrote in message

    and
    >> two

    >> and

    2?

    >> 1
    >> >week.

    >available'.)

  7. Re: append to tape2

    On 22 Jul 2003 08:02:11 -0500, Tim ZZZ wrote:

    > Thanks for your help. Both jobs are pointed to the library to use either tape
    > drive. Job2 completes hours before Job1 needs a new tape, so the appendable
    > tape is ready and waiting when required.

    A job can only span onto an empty tape, regardless of your "allow
    append" settings.

    --
    Mark Hill
    #include

  8. Re: append to tape2

    Thanks for taking time to reply. However, the veritas engineer that I am
    speaking to re this says it should be able to append (as long as there is
    an appendable tape available as soon as Job1 looks for it) and I am pretty
    certain that I have seen it working with other jobs in the past...

    Mark Hill wrote:
    >On 22 Jul 2003 08:02:11 -0500, Tim ZZZ wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for your help. Both jobs are pointed to the library to use either

    tape
    >> drive. Job2 completes hours before Job1 needs a new tape, so the appendable
    >> tape is ready and waiting when required.

    >A job can only span onto an empty tape, regardless of your "allow
    >append" settings.
    >
    >--
    >Mark Hill
    >#include

  9. Re: append to tape2

    Mark is correct. I opened a case with Veritas over this issue with 9.0.
    The phone guys talked to the development engineers who say that once a job
    goes into span mode it will only span onto overwriteable media. In today's
    age with 200/400gb cartridges it irritates me to have to span a couple gig
    to a new tape when I have an append tape available with 150gb free in the
    same partition and media set. I have submitted an enhancement request to
    try to get Veritas to change 'feature.' Feel free to do the same. The more
    people requesting things, the more likely they will get implemented.

    http://enhancement.veritas.com

    -Howard

    "Tim ZZZ" wrote in message

    > Thanks for taking time to reply. However, the veritas engineer that I am
    > speaking to re this says it should be able to append (as long as there is
    > an appendable tape available as soon as Job1 looks for it) and I am pretty
    > certain that I have seen it working with other jobs in the past...
    >
    > Mark Hill wrote:
    > >On 22 Jul 2003 08:02:11 -0500, Tim ZZZ wrote:
    > >
    > >> Thanks for your help. Both jobs are pointed to the library to use

    either
    > tape
    > >> drive. Job2 completes hours before Job1 needs a new tape, so the

    appendable
    > >> tape is ready and waiting when required.

    > >A job can only span onto an empty tape, regardless of your "allow
    > >append" settings.
    > >
    > >--
    > >Mark Hill
    > >#include

  10. Re: append to tape2

    Thanks for clarifying this - I didn't have much confidence that the engineer
    i was speaking to knew what he was talking about. I have added an enhancement
    request for this too...

    "Howard" wrote:
    >Mark is correct. I opened a case with Veritas over this issue with 9.0.
    >The phone guys talked to the development engineers who say that once a job
    >goes into span mode it will only span onto overwriteable media. In today's
    >age with 200/400gb cartridges it irritates me to have to span a couple gig
    >to a new tape when I have an append tape available with 150gb free in the
    >same partition and media set. I have submitted an enhancement request to
    >try to get Veritas to change 'feature.' Feel free to do the same. The

    more
    >people requesting things, the more likely they will get implemented.
    >
    >http://enhancement.veritas.com
    >

    >-Howard
    >
    >"Tim ZZZ" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thanks for taking time to reply. However, the veritas engineer that I

    am
    >> speaking to re this says it should be able to append (as long as there

    is
    >> an appendable tape available as soon as Job1 looks for it) and I am pretty
    >> certain that I have seen it working with other jobs in the past...
    >>
    >> Mark Hill wrote:

    >either
    >> tape

    >appendable
    >> >
    >> >A job can only span onto an empty tape, regardless of your "allow
    >> >append" settings.
    >> >
    >> >--
    >> >Mark Hill
    >> >#include