Exchange 2000 Access Denied Unable to Attach FIX for some, if you futzed with the GAL - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Exchange 2000 Access Denied Unable to Attach FIX for some, if you futzed with the GAL - Veritas Backup Exec ; I just spent two hours figuring this out. I've Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000 with Backup Exec Remote on one box. Windows 2000, Backup Exec 9.0 (which I updated to the latest version as of July 16, 2003 hoping that ...

  1. Exchange 2000 Access Denied Unable to Attach FIX for some, if you futzed with the GAL

    I just spent two hours figuring this out.

    I've Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000 with Backup Exec Remote on one box.
    Windows 2000, Backup Exec 9.0 (which I updated to the latest version as of
    July 16, 2003 hoping that would fix this problem, which it did not),
    Exchange 2000 System Manager Console.

    For the past 3 days I've been getting "Unable to Attach to Device" for my
    Exchange Mailboxes and Public Folders. Up until Thursday of last week, it
    worked great. Today I checked into my Backup Jobs, and when I tried to
    select or unselect my Mailboxes or Public Folders, I get the "Access Denied"
    error.

    I use Administrator for my log on account. Nothing had changed at all with
    log ons or Backup Exec. No matter how many times I reinput Administrator
    and password, it never worked.

    Here's why:

    I deleted my Default Global Address List in Exchange and created company
    partitioned ones.

    Here's the catch:

    Backup Exec MUST find the account you specify to back up with in a Global
    Address List.

    Here's what killed me:

    My new ldap queries for my Global Address Lists were based on PrincipalName
    and GroupName and what those two names ended with. By default the
    Administrator account does not have a Windows 2000 logon, only a netbios
    logon, so it did not show up in my GAL's. I just added the word
    administrator to the log on, waited 10 minutes for the GAL's to update and
    viola. Backup Exec works again.

    Moral:

    Backup Exec will only connect to Mailbox and Public Folders if your log on
    account shows up in a GAL. If it doesn't, you're screwed.

    Troy W. Scheh

  2. Re: Exchange 2000 Access Denied Unable to Attach FIX for some, ifyou futzed with the GAL

    On 7/16/03 11:09 PM, Troy W. Scheh wrote:

    > Backup Exec will only connect to Mailbox and Public Folders if your log on
    > account shows up in a GAL. If it doesn't, you're screwed.

    I am going to try it asap and let you know if it fixes my problem too!

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread