Dealing with Device Paused - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Dealing with Device Paused - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello... 8.60 on Win2k-Serv. When a scheduled job detects a device offline, it goes into a permanent Device Paused mode. I'm disappointed that BE cannot trigger a Job Failed or at least a Job Cancelled when such an obvious job-killing ...

  1. Dealing with Device Paused

    Hello...

    8.60 on Win2k-Serv. When a scheduled job detects a device
    offline, it goes into a permanent Device Paused mode. I'm
    disappointed that BE cannot trigger a Job Failed or at least a
    Job Cancelled when such an obvious job-killing state is found.

    Beyond that, Veritas tells me there's no way to force a time-out
    the Device Paused mode (in a manner similar to how Operator
    Attention's can be timed-out to result in a Job Cancelled).

    A Device Paused means my post-job script (start the Oracle
    instance!) will never run until the job is manually cancelled.
    Not only that, but I will not be notified by email notifications
    that there's a problem with the job. The only way I can notice
    something is amiss is by the *absense* of the notification. As
    they say in "Apollo 13": "That's not a good way to fly."

    Any suggestions? (Other than scheduling a second, tiny, job
    immediately prior to the main backup job).

    Thx,
    D.

  2. Re: Dealing with Device Paused

    I am having this same problem with version 9.0 if Backup Exec. I am only
    backing up data servers (2 windows 2000) and one NT server (Backup domain
    controller). As soon as the schedule runs, it displays 'Device Paused'.
    The device is not paused, after checking through the Media.

    I also can not install my Remote Agent on my NT server now, and it will fail
    to load, but works for the windows 2000 servers.

    I have tried to update to the 4454 version, no luck, because it fails to
    load. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, still does not work. i am to
    the point of discontinuing this product, I have yet to get a decent backup
    out of this software.

    (Running the Dell Powervault 136-T backup LTO device).

+ Reply to Thread