Please help! Soft errors, hard errors, failed backups--think I've tried everything... - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Please help! Soft errors, hard errors, failed backups--think I've tried everything... - Veritas Backup Exec ; Have an ADIC Scalar 100 SDLT LVD. BE 8.6 3878, (have switched drivers several times, think its v36a at the moment...) All backups get soft write errors in the hundreds to thousands (and soft read errors if verified). Some backups ...

  1. Please help! Soft errors, hard errors, failed backups--think I've tried everything...

    Have an ADIC Scalar 100 SDLT LVD. BE 8.6 3878, (have switched drivers
    several times, think its v36a at the moment...) All backups get soft write
    errors in the hundreds to thousands (and soft read errors if verified).
    Some backups have generated tens of thousands of soft write errors.

    Have tried new tapes from a different vendor (originals were Quantum, new
    are Maxell). Have tried different cables and terminators. Have tried
    different SCSI cards, originally on a dual channel Adaptec 39160, now on a
    29160, makes no difference weather the drive and library are on the same
    channel or separated. Have tried lowering speed and width in SCSI bios.
    Have tried different SCSI drivers. Have tried different tape drivers
    (Quantum vs. Veritas). Have tried a complete OS re-install (twice!). Have
    tried *several different drives in the library*, original was a 220, have
    also tried a 320. Have even tried an entirely new library! Still backups
    fail due to: 'Storage device reported an error on a request to write data to
    media.' 'Error Reported: The Request could not be performed because of an
    I/O device error.'. At the same time I get two events in Win2k's event
    viewer: adpu160 event ID 11 'The driver detected a controller error on
    \Device\Scsi\adpu160m1' and a dlttape-VRTS event ID 15 'The device
    \Device\Tape0 is not ready for access yet.'. I know it sounds like a SCSI
    communication error, but keep in mind I've tried two different SCSI cards, 3
    sets of cables/terminators, MS and Adaptec drivers, all to no avail.

    What can I do??

  2. Re: Please help! Soft errors, hard errors, failed backups--think I've tried everything...

    Hi Jeremy,

    You probably checked the Veritas support site already.

    Event ID 15: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/248089.htm
    I/O device error: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237047.htm

    You mentioned hard errors. I had this twice with a Tandberg SDLT, and twice the problem went away with a replacement unit.

    Jerry.
    ---

    "Jeremy Lang" wrote in message news:3efce31c@hronntp01....
    > Have an ADIC Scalar 100 SDLT LVD. BE 8.6 3878, (have switched drivers
    > several times, think its v36a at the moment...) All backups get soft write
    > errors in the hundreds to thousands (and soft read errors if verified).
    > Some backups have generated tens of thousands of soft write errors.
    >
    > Have tried new tapes from a different vendor (originals were Quantum, new
    > are Maxell). Have tried different cables and terminators. Have tried
    > different SCSI cards, originally on a dual channel Adaptec 39160, now on a
    > 29160, makes no difference weather the drive and library are on the same
    > channel or separated. Have tried lowering speed and width in SCSI bios.
    > Have tried different SCSI drivers. Have tried different tape drivers
    > (Quantum vs. Veritas). Have tried a complete OS re-install (twice!). Have
    > tried *several different drives in the library*, original was a 220, have
    > also tried a 320. Have even tried an entirely new library! Still backups
    > fail due to: 'Storage device reported an error on a request to write data to
    > media.' 'Error Reported: The Request could not be performed because of an
    > I/O device error.'. At the same time I get two events in Win2k's event
    > viewer: adpu160 event ID 11 'The driver detected a controller error on
    > \Device\Scsi\adpu160m1' and a dlttape-VRTS event ID 15 'The device
    > \Device\Tape0 is not ready for access yet.'. I know it sounds like a SCSI
    > communication error, but keep in mind I've tried two different SCSI cards, 3
    > sets of cables/terminators, MS and Adaptec drivers, all to no avail.
    >
    > What can I do??

+ Reply to Thread