Disaster Recovery Recommendations for Small Business? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Disaster Recovery Recommendations for Small Business? - Veritas Backup Exec ; In terms of a small business with one Win2K DC or using Small Business Server what are people using for complete disaster recovery solutions? We have most of our clients using BE 8.6 or 9.0 this is fine for day ...

  1. Disaster Recovery Recommendations for Small Business?

    In terms of a small business with one Win2K DC or using Small Business
    Server what are people using for complete disaster recovery solutions? We
    have most of our clients using BE 8.6 or 9.0 this is fine for day to day
    restore of data files, Exchange, SQL, or Active Directory however it doesn't
    seem to be sufficient enough for a complete disaster such as a fire.

    For instance if an smaller organization has one or two servers and one
    domain controller and all the hardware was lost except the offsite tape, if
    I was to order another dissimilar hardware server restoring isn't guaranteed
    with Active Directory or Exchange. Does Veritas offer something to help
    with this? Does Veritas offer some kind of solution that can restore to
    dissimilar hardware almost immediately? I was really looking for something
    that is digital also, maybe software for a NAS appliance that is stored
    offsite.

    Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!!

  2. Re: Disaster Recovery Recommendations for Small Business?

    Hi Eric,

    Just checked the manual. The only option Veritas has, is called Intelligent Disaster Recovery or IDR.

    Quote (from the manual):

    Before recovering the computer, note the following:
    The hardware must be identical to the original computer except for hard disks, video cards, and network interface cards.
    There must be enough disks to restore all of the critical system disks. A disk is considered critical if it is required for the computer to boot successfully.
    The storage capacity of each critical disk must be greater than or equal to the corresponding original disk. Disk geometries, which may also be called disk parameters, must be compatible.
    Floppy and CD devices cannot be external PC-card drives. Because external PC-card devices are not supported during the GUI-mode Windows Setup phase, they cannot be used to access data, and recovery cannot be completed.

    Unquote.

    So it seems that with Veritas' Backup Exec there seems to be no way for immediate recovery.

    And your last question, 'software for a NAS appliance that is stored offsite': sounds a bit strange to me. Sort of a big, expensive data pipe to a service provider.

    The point of disaster recovery is, that you are able to restore the _functionality_ of the company servers within certain time constraints. This means:

    1. get some hardware delivered (takes a lot of time) including tape drive
    2. install OS (just a few hours)
    3. get yourself connected to the Internet
    4. install Backup Exec
    5. rebuild the domain, including AD
    6. install applications
    7. restore data
    8. restore permissions and security

    I don't think there is a software solution which can help you with all the steps above.

    Regards,

    Jerry.---

    "Eric H" wrote in message news:3efc7431$1@hronntp01....
    > In terms of a small business with one Win2K DC or using Small Business
    > Server what are people using for complete disaster recovery solutions? We
    > have most of our clients using BE 8.6 or 9.0 this is fine for day to day
    > restore of data files, Exchange, SQL, or Active Directory however it doesn't
    > seem to be sufficient enough for a complete disaster such as a fire.
    >

    > For instance if an smaller organization has one or two servers and one
    > domain controller and all the hardware was lost except the offsite tape, if
    > I was to order another dissimilar hardware server restoring isn't guaranteed
    > with Active Directory or Exchange. Does Veritas offer something to help
    > with this? Does Veritas offer some kind of solution that can restore to
    > dissimilar hardware almost immediately? I was really looking for something
    > that is digital also, maybe software for a NAS appliance that is stored
    > offsite.
    >

    > Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!!

+ Reply to Thread