BackupExec for Windows and 2k SP4 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BackupExec for Windows and 2k SP4 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Has Windows 2000 service pack 4 been tested w/ BackupExec v9? Will it present any problems being installed on either the Backup server or a client it is backing up? Inquiring minds want to know....

  1. BackupExec for Windows and 2k SP4

    Has Windows 2000 service pack 4 been tested w/ BackupExec v9? Will it present
    any problems being installed on either the Backup server or a client it is
    backing up? Inquiring minds want to know.

  2. Re: BackupExec for Windows and 2k SP4

    Peter,

    I have been testing BE9 Rev 4454 on Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Pro & Server
    for a week now...So far I haven't seen any problems....

    Dan.

    "Peter Gilbert" wrote in message

    > Has Windows 2000 service pack 4 been tested w/ BackupExec v9? Will it

    present
    > any problems being installed on either the Backup server or a client it is
    > backing up? Inquiring minds want to know.

  3. Re: BackupExec for Windows and 2k SP4

    Any known issues with W2K SP4 with v8.6?

    Andrew

    "Daniel Moore" wrote:
    >Peter,
    >
    >I have been testing BE9 Rev 4454 on Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Pro & Server
    >for a week now...So far I haven't seen any problems....
    >
    >Dan.
    >
    >"Peter Gilbert" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Has Windows 2000 service pack 4 been tested w/ BackupExec v9? Will it

    >present
    >> any problems being installed on either the Backup server or a client it

    is
    >> backing up? Inquiring minds want to know.

  4. Re: BackupExec for Windows and 2k SP4

    "Peter Gilbert" wrote:

    >Has Windows 2000 service pack 4 been tested w/ BackupExec v9? Will it present
    >any problems being installed on either the Backup server or a client it

    is
    >backing up? Inquiring minds want to know.

    I upgraded 2 of my Veritas 9.0 media servers to W2K SP4 & noted that both
    server's backup times jumped immediately to 100+% of what they were before
    the service pack was applied. Veritas stated that SP4 takes the system back
    to MDAC 2.6 but their software requries 2.7 SP1 which I reapplied to no avail.
    They also pushed me through the hoops of updating all tape drivers/firmware
    & SCSI drivers which were all current/unchanged from the previous day. Still
    NO GO.

    I even went as far as completely uninstalling Veritas 9.0/reboot, reinstall
    SP4/reboot, reinstall MDAC 2.7 SP1/ reboot, reinstall & fully patch Veritas
    9.0 with required reboot then rebuilt the daily backup job for that media
    server. Still NO GO & Veritas tech support has been NO HELP AT ALL to date.
    They don't respond to email and won't call the end user directly even though
    I have a support agreement with them. I we have to call them & wait at least
    45 minutes to talk to a human.

    Conversely, I have media servers with Veritas 8.6 which I updated with W2K
    SP4 BEFORE I upgraded to Veritas 9.0 without a problem. I intentionally
    did not update the drivers or firmware before or during the upgrades just
    to see if the software update would cause the same tape backup delays I noted
    above.

    Rgds,

    Kirk

  5. Re: BackupExec for Windows and 2k SP4

    "Kirk Bell" wrote:

    >"Peter Gilbert" wrote:
    >>
    >>Has Windows 2000 service pack 4 been tested w/ BackupExec v9? Will it

    present
    >>any problems being installed on either the Backup server or a client it

    >is
    >>backing up? Inquiring minds want to know.

    >I upgraded 2 of my Veritas 9.0 media servers to W2K SP4 & noted that both
    >server's backup times jumped immediately to 100+% of what they were before
    >the service pack was applied. Veritas stated that SP4 takes the system

    back
    >to MDAC 2.6 but their software requries 2.7 SP1 which I reapplied to no

    avail.
    > They also pushed me through the hoops of updating all tape drivers/firmware
    >& SCSI drivers which were all current/unchanged from the previous day.

    Still
    >NO GO.
    >
    >I even went as far as completely uninstalling Veritas 9.0/reboot, reinstall
    >SP4/reboot, reinstall MDAC 2.7 SP1/ reboot, reinstall & fully patch Veritas
    >9.0 with required reboot then rebuilt the daily backup job for that media
    >server. Still NO GO & Veritas tech support has been NO HELP AT ALL to date.
    > They don't respond to email and won't call the end user directly even though
    >I have a support agreement with them. I we have to call them & wait at

    least
    >45 minutes to talk to a human.
    >
    >Conversely, I have media servers with Veritas 8.6 which I updated with W2K
    >SP4 BEFORE I upgraded to Veritas 9.0 without a problem. I intentionally
    >did not update the drivers or firmware before or during the upgrades just
    >to see if the software update would cause the same tape backup delays I

    noted
    >above.
    >
    >Rgds,
    >
    >Kirk

  6. Re: BackupExec for Windows and 2k SP4

    Kirk,
    I installed SP4 about a month after the release. Now my jobs are knocking
    off about 20 minutes when doing about 32 GB. Wish I had a answer for you.
    Now I have two jobs that sometimes go into pre-processing and never come
    out. After rebooting server (Job Engine will not restart in services) they
    work for a while until it needs reboot again... Oh this is frustrating sometimes...
    I would keep reloading the Vertias SCSI drivers to the device until it starts
    working correclty. Might have to try two/three times.
    Good Luck.
    Mitch

    "Kirk Bell" wrote:

    >"Peter Gilbert" wrote:
    >>
    >>Has Windows 2000 service pack 4 been tested w/ BackupExec v9? Will it

    present
    >>any problems being installed on either the Backup server or a client it

    >is
    >>backing up? Inquiring minds want to know.

    >I upgraded 2 of my Veritas 9.0 media servers to W2K SP4 & noted that both
    >server's backup times jumped immediately to 100+% of what they were before
    >the service pack was applied. Veritas stated that SP4 takes the system

    back
    >to MDAC 2.6 but their software requries 2.7 SP1 which I reapplied to no

    avail.
    > They also pushed me through the hoops of updating all tape drivers/firmware
    >& SCSI drivers which were all current/unchanged from the previous day.

    Still
    >NO GO.
    >
    >I even went as far as completely uninstalling Veritas 9.0/reboot, reinstall
    >SP4/reboot, reinstall MDAC 2.7 SP1/ reboot, reinstall & fully patch Veritas
    >9.0 with required reboot then rebuilt the daily backup job for that media
    >server. Still NO GO & Veritas tech support has been NO HELP AT ALL to date.
    > They don't respond to email and won't call the end user directly even though
    >I have a support agreement with them. I we have to call them & wait at

    least
    >45 minutes to talk to a human.
    >
    >Conversely, I have media servers with Veritas 8.6 which I updated with W2K
    >SP4 BEFORE I upgraded to Veritas 9.0 without a problem. I intentionally
    >did not update the drivers or firmware before or during the upgrades just
    >to see if the software update would cause the same tape backup delays I

    noted
    >above.
    >
    >Rgds,
    >
    >Kirk