[BENT 7.3] SAM: Does Exchange Recovery Server Need It? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on [BENT 7.3] SAM: Does Exchange Recovery Server Need It? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm building a recovery server to verify my Exchange 5.5 online backup tapes using BE7.3 and Veritas Technote 191052. http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191052.htm . The article states that is has to be standalone server and can be a different server name than the ...

  1. [BENT 7.3] SAM: Does Exchange Recovery Server Need It?

    I'm building a recovery server to verify my Exchange 5.5 online backup tapes
    using BE7.3 and Veritas Technote 191052.
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191052.htm .

    The article states that is has to be standalone server and can be a
    different server name than the production Exchange server (although same
    site and org. name, new site). This server will always be online. It's a
    different system hardware wise, than the production server.

    My question is, since only the information store, not the directory, is
    being restored, do I have to make this system a NT 4.0 backup domain
    controller or can it simply be a standalone server without the SAM? The
    article doesn't specify. Also, I don't need a flat file restore done to
    this server before restoring the Information Store do I? I wouldn't think
    so and don't think it would boot afterwords since the hardware is so
    different.

    Thanks for any information,

    Bruce

    Systems Manager
    Microsoft Partner

  2. Re: [BENT 7.3] SAM: Does Exchange Recovery Server Need It?

    Sorry, I meant to also ask if the recovery server's drives have to be
    partitioned the same as the production server (drive letters). Thanks,
    Bruce

    "Bruce Raymond" wrote in message
    > I'm building a recovery server to verify my Exchange 5.5 online backup

    tapes
    > using BE7.3 and Veritas Technote 191052.
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191052.htm .
    >
    > The article states that is has to be standalone server and can be a
    > different server name than the production Exchange server (although same
    > site and org. name, new site). This server will always be online. It's a
    > different system hardware wise, than the production server.
    >
    > My question is, since only the information store, not the directory, is
    > being restored, do I have to make this system a NT 4.0 backup domain
    > controller or can it simply be a standalone server without the SAM? The
    > article doesn't specify. Also, I don't need a flat file restore done to
    > this server before restoring the Information Store do I? I wouldn't think
    > so and don't think it would boot afterwords since the hardware is so
    > different.
    >
    > Thanks for any information,
    >
    > Bruce
    >
    > Systems Manager
    > Microsoft Partner

  3. Re: [BENT 7.3] SAM: Does Exchange Recovery Server Need It?

    From the TechNote you mentioned

    To restore the information store from tape, follow these steps:
    1. Log on to the recovery domain as an administrator and insert the
    backup tape.

    As I recall Exchange won't even install in a non-domain machine. The
    restore computer doesn't need to be a domain controller, but does need
    to belong to a domain.

    And no, you do not need any kind of flat file restore first, You just
    have to have Exchange installed, with enough space on whatever drive you
    have the info store on to hold the production store.

    Bruce Raymond wrote:

    >I'm building a recovery server to verify my Exchange 5.5 online backup tapes
    >using BE7.3 and Veritas Technote 191052.
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191052.htm .
    >
    >The article states that is has to be standalone server and can be a
    >different server name than the production Exchange server (although same
    >site and org. name, new site). This server will always be online. It's a
    >different system hardware wise, than the production server.
    >
    >My question is, since only the information store, not the directory, is
    >being restored, do I have to make this system a NT 4.0 backup domain
    >controller or can it simply be a standalone server without the SAM? The
    >article doesn't specify. Also, I don't need a flat file restore done to
    >this server before restoring the Information Store do I? I wouldn't think
    >so and don't think it would boot afterwords since the hardware is so
    >different.
    >
    >Thanks for any information,
    >
    >Bruce
    >
    >Systems Manager
    >Microsoft Partner

  4. Re: [BENT 7.3] SAM: Does Exchange Recovery Server Need It?

    Thanks Ken. I'm kind of in the throes of deciding whether to have this
    system do a full restore of the DS and IS in order to test my backup tapes
    or have it be a mailbox recovery server (IS only, and I disabled brick
    level) which will also let me test my tapes and stay online full time in the
    production network. I may be able to kill two birds with one stone, as I
    built it as a BDC (to get the SAM) with a different computer name but same
    site and org name as production server. That will let me test the IS but
    will probably not let me test the DS as I think the computer name must be
    the same as the production Exchange server in order to do that. And I would
    have to take it off the network. I can't remember if changing computer
    names of BDC's in NT is allowed. I don't think so without a reinstall.
    Googling now.

    From what you say though, I can also do a simple IS recovery to get
    mailboxes without having the SAM, building it as a standalone server on the
    production network.

    Thanks again for your help,

    Bruce
    From the TechNote you mentioned

[...]