BE 8.5 and backing-up a Dell PowerVault 725N NAS - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 8.5 and backing-up a Dell PowerVault 725N NAS - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, We have one Windows 2000 Server, with BE8.5 installed. Now we have obtained a Dell PowerVault 725N NAS for additional file storage. We were not able to select folders on the NAS from BE. After contacting Veritas, this appeared ...

  1. BE 8.5 and backing-up a Dell PowerVault 725N NAS

    Hi,

    We have one Windows 2000 Server, with BE8.5 installed.
    Now we have obtained a Dell PowerVault 725N NAS for additional file
    storage.
    We were not able to select folders on the NAS from BE.
    After contacting Veritas, this appeared to be due to the fact that we
    needed to buy a license for a remote server, because the NAS OS is based
    on Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
    This is strange, because the NAS in fact isn't a server at all, but just a
    remote file storage device.
    But we decided to buy this license.
    Licenses for BE 8.5 cannot be obtained anymore, but Veritas assured to us
    that we could use a license for BE9.0 remote servers, and that this would
    work with our BE 8.5.
    So we bought an extra license for BE 9.0 remote server, and this serial
    number was accepted by BE 8.5.
    The pack came without software: it is just a license number.
    We were able to install the BE 8.5 remote agent for NT/2000 on the NAS.
    Now we can select folders on the NAS, and add these to the backup job.
    However, when the backup job runs, we get an error message:
    "License Violation
    This edition of Backup Exec is not licensed to protect Windows 2000
    Advanced Server or DataCenter.
    Please contact your vendor for information on upgrading this edition of
    Backup Exec.
    Unable to attach to \\NAS\E$.
    Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product."

    Our server is *not* running Windows 2000 Advanced Server or DataCenter,
    but Standard Server.
    The NAS OS is based on Windows 2000 Advanced Server, but as far as I can
    see, there is no destinction between the remote agent licenses for Windows
    2000 Standard and Advanced Server . There is only one version of the
    remote agent license for Windows 2000 Server, which we have bought.
    So why doesn't it work?
    Do we have to install the BE 9.0 version of the remote agent, and if so,
    where can we download this?

    Thanks,
    --
    Ed van Balen
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands

  2. Re: BE 8.5 and backing-up a Dell PowerVault 725N NAS

    The only dofference between BEWS Server version and AS version is that server
    version won't run on AS, and the serial itself. The AS version will run on
    ServerOS, and is required to backup an AS box, even if it is a remote machine.

    Ed van Balen wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We have one Windows 2000 Server, with BE8.5 installed.
    > Now we have obtained a Dell PowerVault 725N NAS for additional file
    > storage.
    > We were not able to select folders on the NAS from BE.
    > After contacting Veritas, this appeared to be due to the fact that we
    > needed to buy a license for a remote server, because the NAS OS is based
    > on Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
    > This is strange, because the NAS in fact isn't a server at all, but just a
    > remote file storage device.
    > But we decided to buy this license.
    > Licenses for BE 8.5 cannot be obtained anymore, but Veritas assured to us
    > that we could use a license for BE9.0 remote servers, and that this would
    > work with our BE 8.5.
    > So we bought an extra license for BE 9.0 remote server, and this serial
    > number was accepted by BE 8.5.
    > The pack came without software: it is just a license number.
    > We were able to install the BE 8.5 remote agent for NT/2000 on the NAS.
    > Now we can select folders on the NAS, and add these to the backup job.
    > However, when the backup job runs, we get an error message:
    > "License Violation
    > This edition of Backup Exec is not licensed to protect Windows 2000
    > Advanced Server or DataCenter.
    > Please contact your vendor for information on upgrading this edition of
    > Backup Exec.
    > Unable to attach to \\NAS\E$.
    > Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product."
    >
    > Our server is *not* running Windows 2000 Advanced Server or DataCenter,
    > but Standard Server.
    > The NAS OS is based on Windows 2000 Advanced Server, but as far as I can
    > see, there is no destinction between the remote agent licenses for Windows
    > 2000 Standard and Advanced Server . There is only one version of the
    > remote agent license for Windows 2000 Server, which we have bought.
    > So why doesn't it work?
    > Do we have to install the BE 9.0 version of the remote agent, and if so,
    > where can we download this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > Ed van Balen
    > Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    > Please respond in this newsgroup.
    > Tired of the spam, my E-mail address is faked.

  3. Re: BE 8.5 and backing-up a Dell PowerVault 725N NAS

    Thanks Ken,

    So if I understand you correctly, we have to upgrade our BE 8.5 to a
    version specific for Advanced Server, just to be able to backup the NAS
    device?
    Well, I cannot find any information about this on the Veritas website, but
    if this is really true, I think it is pretty ridiculous.
    What is the reason for this? What is so special about Advanced Server,
    that we have to pay Veritas extra for it?
    The Dell 725N NAS device isn't a server at all. It is just based on
    Windows 2000 AS, but is a very limited device, that is just capable of
    file storage. All other features of AS are removed, and we cannot install
    any additional applications on it.
    Obtaining the remote Agent license ought to be enough I would think.

    I don't think we can get any BE 8.5 licenses anymore. So, does this mean
    that we have to buy an upgrade to BE 9.0 for AS?
    I cannot find any information either on the Veritas website about a
    specific version of BE 9.0 for AS, so does it indeed exist?
    Reading about all the problems with BE 9.0, I really prefer to stay with
    BE 8.5 for the moment. Can we use the BE 9.0 AS license, but still run BE
    8.5?
    We also have a license for IDR 8.5, but are using this solely for our
    Win2000 Server, and not for any clients. What happens when we upgrade to
    BE 9.0 Do we have to upgrade IDR as well to an 9.0 AS version?

    Regards,
    --
    Ed van Balen
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Please respond in this newsgroup.
    Tired of the spam, my E-mail address is faked.
    Ken Putnam posted:
    > The only dofference between BEWS Server version and AS version is
    > that server version won't run on AS, and the serial itself. The AS
    > version will run on ServerOS, and is required to backup an AS box,
    > even if it is a remote machine.
    >
    > Ed van Balen wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> We have one Windows 2000 Server, with BE8.5 installed.
    >> Now we have obtained a Dell PowerVault 725N NAS for additional file
    >> storage.
    >> We were not able to select folders on the NAS from BE.
    >> After contacting Veritas, this appeared to be due to the fact that we
    >> needed to buy a license for a remote server, because the NAS OS is
    >> based
    >> on Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
    >> This is strange, because the NAS in fact isn't a server at all, but
    >> just a remote file storage device.
    >> But we decided to buy this license.
    >> Licenses for BE 8.5 cannot be obtained anymore, but Veritas assured
    >> to us that we could use a license for BE9.0 remote servers, and that
    >> this would work with our BE 8.5.
    >> So we bought an extra license for BE 9.0 remote server, and this
    >> serial number was accepted by BE 8.5.
    >> The pack came without software: it is just a license number.
    >> We were able to install the BE 8.5 remote agent for NT/2000 on the
    >> NAS.
    >> Now we can select folders on the NAS, and add these to the backup
    >> job. However, when the backup job runs, we get an error message:
    >> "License Violation
    >> This edition of Backup Exec is not licensed to protect Windows 2000
    >> Advanced Server or DataCenter.
    >> Please contact your vendor for information on upgrading this edition
    >> of Backup Exec.
    >> Unable to attach to \\NAS\E$.
    >> Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the
    >> product."
    >>
    >> Our server is *not* running Windows 2000 Advanced Server or
    >> DataCenter,
    >> but Standard Server.
    >> The NAS OS is based on Windows 2000 Advanced Server, but as far as I
    >> can see, there is no destinction between the remote agent licenses
    >> for Windows 2000 Standard and Advanced Server . There is only one
    >> version of the
    >> remote agent license for Windows 2000 Server, which we have bought.
    >> So why doesn't it work?
    >> Do we have to install the BE 9.0 version of the remote agent, and if
    >> so, where can we download this?

  4. Re: BE 8.5 and backing-up a Dell PowerVault 725N NAS

    You may need to contact Veritas directly - I've never used BEWS to
    backup a NAS box, but I thought that
    there was a "NAS agent or option. I could be wrong.

    At this point, since v8.6 is no longer available, this may be moot.

    Ed van Balen wrote:

    >Thanks Ken,
    >
    >So if I understand you correctly, we have to upgrade our BE 8.5 to a
    >version specific for Advanced Server, just to be able to backup the NAS
    >device?
    >Well, I cannot find any information about this on the Veritas website, but
    >if this is really true, I think it is pretty ridiculous.
    >What is the reason for this? What is so special about Advanced Server,
    >that we have to pay Veritas extra for it?
    >The Dell 725N NAS device isn't a server at all. It is just based on
    >Windows 2000 AS, but is a very limited device, that is just capable of
    >file storage. All other features of AS are removed, and we cannot install
    >any additional applications on it.
    >Obtaining the remote Agent license ought to be enough I would think.
    >
    >I don't think we can get any BE 8.5 licenses anymore. So, does this mean
    >that we have to buy an upgrade to BE 9.0 for AS?
    >I cannot find any information either on the Veritas website about a
    >specific version of BE 9.0 for AS, so does it indeed exist?
    >Reading about all the problems with BE 9.0, I really prefer to stay with
    >BE 8.5 for the moment. Can we use the BE 9.0 AS license, but still run BE
    >8.5?
    >We also have a license for IDR 8.5, but are using this solely for our
    >Win2000 Server, and not for any clients. What happens when we upgrade to
    >BE 9.0 Do we have to upgrade IDR as well to an 9.0 AS version?
    >
    >Regards,

  5. Re: BE 8.5 and backing-up a Dell PowerVault 725N NAS

    Ed, Ken,

    We successfully used BENT-8.6 to backup NAS boxes based on the Windows Server
    Appliance Kit (SAK), and now these boxes happily run with BEWS-9.0 remote
    agent - no problem so far.

    Technically speaking, SAK is a full blown W2K Advanced server, limited through
    the license contract, not through the installed software. Consequently, BEWS
    identifies the box as an W2K Advanced Server and requires the appropriate
    license for your BENT-8.x server.

    There was a 'BE for Windows Server Appliances' edition, which seemed to be
    a subset of BENT-8.6, designed for SAK and limited to SAK only. We never
    used that because it didn't make sense for us to set up a BE server dedicated
    to the SAK boxes.

    Regards, Udo

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >You may need to contact Veritas directly - I've never used BEWS to
    >backup a NAS box, but I thought that
    >there was a "NAS agent or option. I could be wrong.
    >
    >At this point, since v8.6 is no longer available, this may be moot.
    >
    >Ed van Balen wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks Ken,
    >>
    >>So if I understand you correctly, we have to upgrade our BE 8.5 to a
    >>version specific for Advanced Server, just to be able to backup the NAS
    >>device?
    >>Well, I cannot find any information about this on the Veritas website,

    but
    >>if this is really true, I think it is pretty ridiculous.
    >>What is the reason for this? What is so special about Advanced Server,
    >>that we have to pay Veritas extra for it?
    >>The Dell 725N NAS device isn't a server at all. It is just based on
    >>Windows 2000 AS, but is a very limited device, that is just capable of
    >>file storage. All other features of AS are removed, and we cannot install
    >>any additional applications on it.
    >>Obtaining the remote Agent license ought to be enough I would think.
    >>
    >>I don't think we can get any BE 8.5 licenses anymore. So, does this mean
    >>that we have to buy an upgrade to BE 9.0 for AS?
    >>I cannot find any information either on the Veritas website about a
    >>specific version of BE 9.0 for AS, so does it indeed exist?
    >>Reading about all the problems with BE 9.0, I really prefer to stay with
    >>BE 8.5 for the moment. Can we use the BE 9.0 AS license, but still run

    BE
    >>8.5?
    >>We also have a license for IDR 8.5, but are using this solely for our
    >>Win2000 Server, and not for any clients. What happens when we upgrade to
    >>BE 9.0 Do we have to upgrade IDR as well to an 9.0 AS version?
    >>
    >>Regards,

+ Reply to Thread