HELP!! Backup Exec v9 and Firewall problem - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on HELP!! Backup Exec v9 and Firewall problem - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm having a problem trying to get our Backup Exec V9 to backup servers in our DMZ. I'm able to see the server but when I try to run the backup I'm getting the following error message: The job failed ...

  1. HELP!! Backup Exec v9 and Firewall problem

    I'm having a problem trying to get our Backup Exec V9 to backup servers in
    our DMZ. I'm able to see the server but when I try to run the backup I'm
    getting the following error message:

    The job failed with the following error: A communications failure has occurred
    between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent.

    Has anyone able to get backup Exec v9 to back up through a firewall.

    Thanks,

    Mark

  2. Re: HELP!! Backup Exec v9 and Firewall problem

    Mark, I spent a fair bit of time with my firewall logs and determined that
    the new remote agent needs to have the ability to make connections back
    through the firewall to the backup server. Specifically, the remote agent
    wants to be able to first ping the backup server and then must have the
    ports specified in Tools -> Options -> Network -> "Enable ....dynamic port
    range" open in both directions through the firewall. There was no mention
    of the ICMP packet that I could find in the documentation.

    Soapbox: it is a little disappointing that the DMZ servers are initiating
    the connection back to the job engine instead of the backup engine
    initiating the connection through the firewall -- all the best practices
    I've ever read discourage having servers in the DMZ that initiate
    connections outbound to anything. All prior versions of BE that I have used
    did not require the open port back through the firewall....why the change
    now, especially considering the heightened security awareness these days?

    -Howard

    "MrMark" wrote in message

    > I'm having a problem trying to get our Backup Exec V9 to backup servers in
    > our DMZ. I'm able to see the server but when I try to run the backup I'm
    > getting the following error message:
    >
    > The job failed with the following error: A communications failure has

    occurred
    > between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent.
    >
    > Has anyone able to get backup Exec v9 to back up through a firewall.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark

+ Reply to Thread