NIGHTMARE! Three installation problems: BE 9.0 server and BE 9.0 Remote Agent - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on NIGHTMARE! Three installation problems: BE 9.0 server and BE 9.0 Remote Agent - Veritas Backup Exec ; I've had such a miserable time this past night trying to get BE 9.0 to INSTALL, much less work properly. My first issue was that I had two clustered Exchange 2000 servers (running the cluster-aware BE 8.5). You can't upgrade ...

  1. NIGHTMARE! Three installation problems: BE 9.0 server and BE 9.0 Remote Agent

    I've had such a miserable time this past night trying to get BE 9.0 to INSTALL,
    much less work properly. My first issue was that I had two clustered Exchange
    2000 servers (running the cluster-aware BE 8.5). You can't upgrade that,
    unfortunately (from what the documentation said). So, I uninstalled it on
    both nodes of the cluster. That went fine.

    The first issue came when trying to install JRE 1.2 on the servers. I shudder
    to think of that running on a mission-critical server, especially after the
    installation nightmare. An error message would display saying that I had
    insufficient memory to install. (111) was the error code. The install log
    was very unhelpful -- it only said "Third party installation." No idea what
    was being installed. I had to navigate the CD and try to find what was being
    installed. Once I found it, I was baffled. I restarted my machine, stopped
    all services, and tried several times. Couldn't figure it out--I have 4GB
    of RAM in both of my Exchange servers. JRE couldn't be THAT poorly written!
    Sun support is a little more helpful, telling me to remove a DIMM or two
    so that I'll have less than 4GB of RAM. Not wanting to mess with my hardware,
    I start poking around. I take out the /3GB switch in the boot.ini, and VOILA!
    It installed fine. There's nearly two hours of my life wasted.

    The next problems, I haven't had so much luck with. I'm trying to install
    BE 9 on another server (only has 1 GB of memory). Everything goes fine until
    the very end, when it says it's "Writing registry entries." It then fails,
    and says that nothing is installed. These are the last few lines of bkupinst.log:

    05-22-2003,23:19:20 : Property(S): PrimaryVolumeSpaceAvailable = 0
    05-22-2003,23:19:20 : Property(S): PrimaryVolumeSpaceRequired = 0
    05-22-2003,23:19:20 : Property(S): PrimaryVolumeSpaceRemaining = 0
    05-22-2003,23:19:20 : Property(S): SqlFeature = MSDE2000
    05-22-2003,23:19:20 : Property(S): ProductToBeRegistered = 1
    05-22-2003,23:19:20 : 1: INSTALL 2: 3

    Nothing's installed. Ideas?

    Next, I'm attempting to install the Remote Agent on one of my machines.
    The first machine used to have BE 8.5 on it as well as the Remote Agent (uninstalled
    both and then rebooted). The second machine had the Remote Agent installed
    (uninstalled first and rebooted). The first machine errors out, the second
    machine installs fine. I tried installing it from the command line on the
    first server, but nothing ever happens--I run "setup /RANT32: -s -boot" and
    nothing ever happens. No software installation, no reboot.

    Help!

    Aaron Guilmette
    aaron@aaronguilmette.com
    aguilmet@w3r.com

  2. Re: NIGHTMARE! Three installation problems: BE 9.0 server and BE 9.0 Remote Agent

    Aaron,

    maybe I have a contribution to your latest issue. You wrote:

    > I tried installing it from the command line on the
    >first server, but nothing ever happens--I run "setup /RANT32: -s -boot"

    and
    >nothing ever happens. No software installation, no reboot.

    We see the same here when attempting the local installation of the agent.
    However, the push installation triggered on the server works perfectly. So
    maybe you should give it a try?

    Good luck, Udo

+ Reply to Thread