8.6 to 9.0 keep config - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on 8.6 to 9.0 keep config - Veritas Backup Exec ; Built new sever (dual xenon RAID 5 ) Win 2k SP3. Old server is running the 8.6 system. Installed 9.0 on new server. I want to be able to keep all of my catalogs, selection lists, media and jobs and ...

  1. 8.6 to 9.0 keep config

    Built new sever (dual xenon RAID 5 ) Win 2k SP3. Old server is running the
    8.6 system. Installed 9.0 on new server. I want to be able to keep all of
    my catalogs, selection lists, media and jobs and have them migrate to the
    new system. So far all I have managed to get accross are the catalogs. What
    is the best way to tackel this?

    Thanks

  2. Re: 8.6 to 9.0 keep config

    That is exactly the steps I had performed last while trying to get this to
    migrate but still only get restore selections (Catalogs) nothing else shows
    up in Job monitor or Job setup.
    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Uninstall BEWS on the new server.
    >Shut down all BEWS services on the old server
    >copy the entire install directory to the new server(files, \data,
    >\Catalogs, etc)
    >Install v9 on top of the copied data, and your existing info should be
    >migrated forward.
    >

    >Dave wrote:
    >
    >>Built new sever (dual xenon RAID 5 ) Win 2k SP3. Old server is running

    the
    >>8.6 system. Installed 9.0 on new server. I want to be able to keep all

    of
    >>my catalogs, selection lists, media and jobs and have them migrate to the
    >>new system. So far all I have managed to get accross are the catalogs.

    What
    >>is the best way to tackel this?
    >>
    >>Thanks

  3. Re: 8.6 to 9.0 keep config

    Dave wrote:

    >Built new sever (dual xenon RAID 5 ) Win 2k SP3. Old server is running the
    >8.6 system. Installed 9.0 on new server. I want to be able to keep all of
    >my catalogs, selection lists, media and jobs and have them migrate to the
    >new system. So far all I have managed to get accross are the catalogs. What
    >is the best way to tackel this?
    >
    >Thanks

  4. Re: 8.6 to 9.0 keep config

    Is there any way to bring in the old information without having to install
    over top of the old installation?

    Matt

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Uninstall BEWS on the new server.
    > Shut down all BEWS services on the old server
    > copy the entire install directory to the new server(files, \data,
    > \Catalogs, etc)
    > Install v9 on top of the copied data, and your existing info should be
    > migrated forward.
    >

    > Dave wrote:
    >
    > >Built new sever (dual xenon RAID 5 ) Win 2k SP3. Old server is running

    the
    > >8.6 system. Installed 9.0 on new server. I want to be able to keep all of
    > >my catalogs, selection lists, media and jobs and have them migrate to the
    > >new system. So far all I have managed to get accross are the catalogs.

    What
    > >is the best way to tackel this?
    > >
    > >Thanks

  5. Re: 8.6 to 9.0 keep config

    Hmm

    This worked for v6, v7 & v8. (I'm still running v8 till we get our first
    2003 server up. Let all you other folds debug the public beta - I mean
    - v9.0)

    Guess you'll have to contact Support for this. From the product
    support page at http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_BEWNT.htm
    follow the support links on the right side of the page.

    dave wrote:

    >That is exactly the steps I had performed last while trying to get this to
    >migrate but still only get restore selections (Catalogs) nothing else shows
    >up in Job monitor or Job setup.
    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >

    >>Uninstall BEWS on the new server.
    >>Shut down all BEWS services on the old server
    >>copy the entire install directory to the new server(files, \data,
    >>\Catalogs, etc)
    >>Install v9 on top of the copied data, and your existing info should be
    >>migrated forward.
    >>

    >>Dave wrote:
    >>

    >>>Built new sever (dual xenon RAID 5 ) Win 2k SP3. Old server is running
    >>>

    >the
    >

    >>>8.6 system. Installed 9.0 on new server. I want to be able to keep all
    >>>

    >of
    >

    >>>my catalogs, selection lists, media and jobs and have them migrate to the
    >>>new system. So far all I have managed to get accross are the catalogs.
    >>>

    >What
    >

    >>>is the best way to tackel this?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

  6. Re: 8.6 to 9.0 keep config

    Hi Dave

    From what I have noticed if the upgrade dosen't work the only files that are
    easy to keep are the catalogs they haven't changed but BEWS 9.0 runs on SQL
    not Access like the old Media Database so if you can convert the database
    that may work??

    Hope this helps

    Juana

    "Dave" wrote in message

    > Built new sever (dual xenon RAID 5 ) Win 2k SP3. Old server is running the
    > 8.6 system. Installed 9.0 on new server. I want to be able to keep all of
    > my catalogs, selection lists, media and jobs and have them migrate to the
    > new system. So far all I have managed to get accross are the catalogs.

    What
    > is the best way to tackel this?
    >
    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread