Is this Overkill???? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Is this Overkill???? - Veritas Backup Exec ; You guys seem pretty knowledgeable. Is this program overkill? I am helping out a small engineering firm. They have 5 computers working on a workgroup setup. They have 3 XP Pro machines and one Win'98 (soon to be XP) running ...

  1. Is this Overkill????

    You guys seem pretty knowledgeable. Is this program overkill? I am helping
    out a small engineering firm. They have 5 computers working on a workgroup
    setup. They have 3 XP Pro machines and one Win'98 (soon to be XP) running
    as workstations and have a Win2k Pro machine they use for file storage and a
    hookup for printers to share. Currently they run an included older version
    of Backup Exec for NT (from seagate tape drive). It sort of works but
    doesn't get system states for other machines and has some other bugs they've
    been just "dealing" with. Then they decided to change to version 9.
    This is what I did:
    I installed BEWS9 on the 2k machine. During install I chose the admin
    account as the system logon account. Then I shared the C: drives on all
    other machines and then mapped the RANT32 folder temporarily from the 2k
    machine and did a silent install of Remote Agent on the 3 XP machines.
    Everything is fine and BERemote is running on them. I go back to 2k and try
    to setup a backup job of remote machines (this is only going to happen
    monthly) and I can't access the XP workstations. It says the system logon
    account failed to access \\XXXX, the computer in question. Do I have to
    have an account on all xp machines the same name and password as the admin.
    on the 2k? or is this a problem with 2k accessing XP machines? I can map
    their drives just fine without user info because they are already shared.

    Apparently alot I've read about BEWS9 is that it's run normally on 2k/nt
    Server machines instead of Pro and that it is for Domains, not workgroups.
    Am I just doing this wrong or is this program overkill for their use. If it
    is, can you recommend me something different for their needs?

    Thanks,
    Tony Lettkeman

  2. Re: Is this Overkill????

    Sounds like an access issue. Since BE is designed for a domain environment
    (with a centralized user database), I would suspect you not having the necessary
    credentials to connect. In order for everything to work without a hitch,
    you would need to create an ID on each computer you want to back up with
    the SAME name and SAME password as the machine you're running BE from. That
    way, the authentication mechanism will just look at the credentials and pass
    you through.

    "Tony Lettkeman" wrote:
    >You guys seem pretty knowledgeable. Is this program overkill? I am helping
    >out a small engineering firm. They have 5 computers working on a workgroup
    >setup. They have 3 XP Pro machines and one Win'98 (soon to be XP) running
    >as workstations and have a Win2k Pro machine they use for file storage and

    >hookup for printers to share. Currently they run an included older version
    >of Backup Exec for NT (from seagate tape drive). It sort of works but
    >doesn't get system states for other machines and has some other bugs they've
    >been just "dealing" with. Then they decided to change to version 9.
    >This is what I did:
    >I installed BEWS9 on the 2k machine. During install I chose the admin
    >account as the system logon account. Then I shared the C: drives on all
    >other machines and then mapped the RANT32 folder temporarily from the 2k
    >machine and did a silent install of Remote Agent on the 3 XP machines.
    >Everything is fine and BERemote is running on them. I go back to 2k and

    try
    >to setup a backup job of remote machines (this is only going to happen
    >monthly) and I can't access the XP workstations. It says the system logon
    >account failed to access \\XXXX, the computer in question. Do I have to
    >have an account on all xp machines the same name and password as the admin.
    >on the 2k? or is this a problem with 2k accessing XP machines? I can map
    >their drives just fine without user info because they are already shared.
    >
    >Apparently alot I've read about BEWS9 is that it's run normally on 2k/nt
    >Server machines instead of Pro and that it is for Domains, not workgroups.
    >Am I just doing this wrong or is this program overkill for their use. If

    it
    >is, can you recommend me something different for their needs?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Tony Lettkeman

  3. Re: Is this Overkill????

    Somehow, my reply to the newsgroup got lost. Here is what I sent Aaron
    only by accident:
    I thought of that and made an admin account with same name and pass on one
    of the xp machines and rebooted.... tried bews9 and still the same
    error.....

    after looking through the group a bit I noticed somebody say something about
    having Guest access turned on on the workstations.... could this be the
    problem? I know that Guest is turned off on all 3 xp machines for security
    reasons.

    "Aaron Guilmette" wrote in message

    > Sounds like an access issue. Since BE is designed for a domain

    environment
    > (with a centralized user database), I would suspect you not having the

    necessary
    > credentials to connect. In order for everything to work without a hitch,
    > you would need to create an ID on each computer you want to back up with
    > the SAME name and SAME password as the machine you're running BE from.

    That
    > way, the authentication mechanism will just look at the credentials and

    pass
    > you through.

+ Reply to Thread