tape seem to ejects by itself - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on tape seem to ejects by itself - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I'm using BackUp Exec 8.6 Server Edition on a Windows NT Server. I have a backup job that start at 11 pm each week day and since I work here 1 day a week, I can't follow everything that ...

  1. tape seem to ejects by itself

    Hi,
    I'm using BackUp Exec 8.6 Server Edition on a Windows NT Server. I have
    a backup job that start at 11 pm each week day and since I work here 1 day a
    week, I can't follow everything that happen. So each morning, there's
    someone who change the tape. The backup job eject the tape after the job is
    completed.

    The problem is that when they change the tape, the tape is ejected, so
    they think that the backup has been done correctly But it seem that the
    tape has been ejected when the backup started, so the backup is waiting for
    a tape all night, and when they change the tape, then the backup start, so
    when it end, the tape is ejected, so the backup wait till the next morning
    when they change the tape again...

    Yesterday, at 5pm the tape was not ejected and the job was scheduled to
    started at 11pm. This morning at 8:15am the tape was ejected and the job was
    waiting for a tape to start...

    Any idea?

    Thanks.

    Maxime Paquette

  2. Re: tape seem to ejects by itself

    if you are not on-site, it could be kinda tough, but you need to verify
    that the media set(s) are set so that when tapes are set to be reused,
    they have expired. If you have one tape for each day of the week, I'd
    use a 5 day retention rather than a 6 day. Then you when you insert the
    tape, you need to inventory it and verify that the tape label shows up
    in blue.

    It is also possible that the tape mayu be filling up. Again, hard to
    trouble shoot if you're not onsite

    Maxime wrote:

    >Hi,
    > I'm using BackUp Exec 8.6 Server Edition on a Windows NT Server. I have
    >a backup job that start at 11 pm each week day and since I work here 1 day a
    >week, I can't follow everything that happen. So each morning, there's
    >someone who change the tape. The backup job eject the tape after the job is
    >completed.
    >
    > The problem is that when they change the tape, the tape is ejected, so
    >they think that the backup has been done correctly But it seem that the
    >tape has been ejected when the backup started, so the backup is waiting for
    >a tape all night, and when they change the tape, then the backup start, so
    >when it end, the tape is ejected, so the backup wait till the next morning
    >when they change the tape again...
    >
    >Yesterday, at 5pm the tape was not ejected and the job was scheduled to
    >started at 11pm. This morning at 8:15am the tape was ejected and the job was
    >waiting for a tape to start...
    >

    >Any idea?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >--
    >
    >--
    >Maxime Paquette

  3. Re: tape seem to ejects by itself

    The way we do it, we have 10 tape for two week and then reuse them. The
    overwrite protection period is set to NONE.

    Here's bit of the log:

    Performing Remote Agent backup

    Media Name: "Media created 5/20/03 11:00:12 PM"
    Backup of "\\CLS06PFNDS00002\e$ "
    Backup set #44 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "Backup Complet"
    Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 5/21/03 at 11:09:23 PM.
    File "Liste classement.doc" in use - Backed up.

    Drive and media information from media mount:
    Robotic Library Name:
    Drive Name: ARCHIVE 2
    Slot: 0
    Media GUID: {FC5341B8-70E8-11D7-89AB-0004ACB89064}
    Media Label: 4MM000015
    Overwrite Protection Time Left: None
    Append Time Left: Infinite
    Targeted Media Set Name: pfnds
    Backup set #44 on storage media #2
    File "vers.fp3" in use - Backed up.

    Backup completed on 03-05-22 at 8:38:21 AM.
    Backed up 60950 files in 4442 directories.
    15 files were in use
    Processed 5,225,221,958 bytes in 1 hour, 13 minutes, and 27 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 67.8 MB/min

    So, the backup started at 11:09:23 PM and was completed at 8:38:21 AM and it
    Processed 5,225,221,958 bytes in 1 hour, 13 minutes, and 27 seconds???

    In all, the backup is about 17Gb and I use a 24Gb capacity cartridge
    (compressed).

    Thanks.

    Maxime.

    "Ken Putnam" a écrit dans le message de news:
    3ECD0941.4070202@usa.net...
    > if you are not on-site, it could be kinda tough, but you need to verify
    > that the media set(s) are set so that when tapes are set to be reused,
    > they have expired. If you have one tape for each day of the week, I'd
    > use a 5 day retention rather than a 6 day. Then you when you insert the
    > tape, you need to inventory it and verify that the tape label shows up
    > in blue.
    >
    > It is also possible that the tape mayu be filling up. Again, hard to
    > trouble shoot if you're not onsite
    >
    > Maxime wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > > I'm using BackUp Exec 8.6 Server Edition on a Windows NT Server. I

    have
    > >a backup job that start at 11 pm each week day and since I work here 1

    day a
    > >week, I can't follow everything that happen. So each morning, there's
    > >someone who change the tape. The backup job eject the tape after the job

    is
    > >completed.
    > >
    > > The problem is that when they change the tape, the tape is ejected,

    so
    > >they think that the backup has been done correctly But it seem that the
    > >tape has been ejected when the backup started, so the backup is waiting

    for
    > >a tape all night, and when they change the tape, then the backup start,

    so
    > >when it end, the tape is ejected, so the backup wait till the next

    morning
    > >when they change the tape again...
    > >
    > >Yesterday, at 5pm the tape was not ejected and the job was scheduled to
    > >started at 11pm. This morning at 8:15am the tape was ejected and the job

    was
    > >waiting for a tape to start...
    > >

    > >Any idea?
    > >
    > >Thanks.
    > >
    > >--
    > >
    > >--
    > >Maxime Paquette

  4. Re: tape seem to ejects by itself

    Sounds to me like the tape is filling up, then, See
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm. 17GB is just under
    1.5:1 compression and I generally figure about 1.3:1 as a rule of thumb.

    Maxime wrote:

> [...]

    >>>someone who change the tape. The backup job eject the tape after the job
    >>>

    >is
    >

    >>>completed.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is that when they change the tape, the tape is ejected,
    >>>

    >so
    >

    >>>they think that the backup has been done correctly But it seem that the
    >>>tape has been ejected when the backup started, so the backup is waiting
    >>>

    >for
    >

    >>>a tape all night, and when they change the tape, then the backup start,
    >>>

    >so
    >

    >>>when it end, the tape is ejected, so the backup wait till the next
    >>>

    >morning
    >

    >>>when they change the tape again...
    >>>
    >>>Yesterday, at 5pm the tape was not ejected and the job was scheduled to
    >>>started at 11pm. This morning at 8:15am the tape was ejected and the job

  5. Re: tape seem to ejects by itself

    It look like it, but the stange thing is that the backup start at 11 pm and
    the tape seem to be ejected like 15 minutes or so after it started.

    And if I start the backup manualy with the 'run now', no problem at all.....

    Anyway, I'll check it out next week.
    Thanks for your time.

    > Sounds to me like the tape is filling up, then, See
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm. 17GB is just under
    > 1.5:1 compression and I generally figure about 1.3:1 as a rule of thumb.
    >
    > Maxime wrote:
    >
    > >The way we do it, we have 10 tape for two week and then reuse them. The
    > >overwrite protection period is set to NONE.
    > >
    > >Here's bit of the log:

    > >Performing Remote Agent backup
    > >
    > >Media Name: "Media created 5/20/03 11:00:12 PM"
    > >Backup of "\\CLS06PFNDS00002\e$ "
    > >Backup set #44 on storage media #1
    > >Backup set description: "Backup Complet"
    > >Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    > >Backup started on 5/21/03 at 11:09:23 PM.
    > >File "Liste classement.doc" in use - Backed up.
    > >
    > >Drive and media information from media mount:
    > >Robotic Library Name:
    > >Drive Name: ARCHIVE 2
    > >Slot: 0
    > >Media GUID: {FC5341B8-70E8-11D7-89AB-0004ACB89064}
    > >Media Label: 4MM000015
    > >Overwrite Protection Time Left: None
    > >Append Time Left: Infinite
    > >Targeted Media Set Name: pfnds
    > >Backup set #44 on storage media #2
    > >File "vers.fp3" in use - Backed up.
    > >
    > >Backup completed on 03-05-22 at 8:38:21 AM.
    > >Backed up 60950 files in 4442 directories.
    > >15 files were in use
    > >Processed 5,225,221,958 bytes in 1 hour, 13 minutes, and 27 seconds.
    > >Throughput rate: 67.8 MB/min
    > >
    > >So, the backup started at 11:09:23 PM and was completed at 8:38:21 AM and

    it
    > >Processed 5,225,221,958 bytes in 1 hour, 13 minutes, and 27 seconds???
    > >
    > >In all, the backup is about 17Gb and I use a 24Gb capacity cartridge
    > >(compressed).
    > >
    > >Thanks.
    > >
    > >Maxime.
    > >
    > >"Ken Putnam" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > >3ECD0941.4070202@usa.net...
    > >

    > >>if you are not on-site, it could be kinda tough, but you need to verify
    > >>that the media set(s) are set so that when tapes are set to be reused,
    > >>they have expired. If you have one tape for each day of the week, I'd
    > >>use a 5 day retention rather than a 6 day. Then you when you insert the
    > >>tape, you need to inventory it and verify that the tape label shows up
    > >>in blue.
    > >>
    > >>It is also possible that the tape mayu be filling up. Again, hard to
    > >>trouble shoot if you're not onsite

    > >have

    > >day a

    job