Remote agent 9..0 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote agent 9..0 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello all, I am having a problem with the remote agent. I don't have any problems installing it from the command prompt. The service is started and everything looks like it should. When backing up over the network it is ...

  1. Remote agent 9..0

    Hello all,

    I am having a problem with the remote agent. I don't have any problems installing
    it from the command prompt. The service is started and everything looks like
    it should. When backing up over the network it is extrememly slow. I'm talking
    about 40mb per minute. That comes out to about 14 gigin five hours and I
    have to back up 60 gig. Not happening....
    When I look at the logs on the server, It tells me that the remote agent
    isn't even installed. I've been all over the Administrators book and can't
    find squat on it. Just how to install and remove it. No troubleshooting whatsoever.
    I'm not even about to try and call support after hearing the horror stories
    about waiting hours on hold. I work for a small company and it's really hard
    to get them to spend $$$$. I convinced them to buy new software and now I
    can't get it to work. Please help.

    We were using version 6.11 until now. Seagate was a lot better and simpler.

  2. Re: Remote agent 9..0

    Yeah, it clearly states that it is installed and liscensed. Does anything
    on the client side have to be shared out or given certain permissions?

    Scott

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >You say you installed the RA locally. Did you go back to the BEWS server

    >and install the serial there? Unless the serial appears in Help About,

    >BackupExec doesn't know about it.
    >
    >If no, just re-run setup till you get to the serials scree, enter any
    >that are missing, then cancel out of setup.
    >
    >Scott wrote:
    >
    >>Hello all,
    >>
    >>I am having a problem with the remote agent. I don't have any problems

    installing
    >>it from the command prompt. The service is started and everything looks

    like
    >>it should. When backing up over the network it is extrememly slow. I'm

    talking
    >>about 40mb per minute. That comes out to about 14 gigin five hours and

    >>have to back up 60 gig. Not happening....
    >>When I look at the logs on the server, It tells me that the remote agent
    >>isn't even installed. I've been all over the Administrators book and can't
    >>find squat on it. Just how to install and remove it. No troubleshooting

    whatsoever.
    >>I'm not even about to try and call support after hearing the horror stories
    >>about waiting hours on hold. I work for a small company and it's really

    hard
    >>to get them to spend $$$$. I convinced them to buy new software and now

    >>can't get it to work. Please help.
    >>
    >>We were using version 6.11 until now. Seagate was a lot better and simpler.

  3. Re: Remote agent 9..0

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >You say you installed the RA locally. Did you go back to the BEWS server

    >and install the serial there? Unless the serial appears in Help About,

    >BackupExec doesn't know about it.
    >
    >If no, just re-run setup till you get to the serials scree, enter any
    >that are missing, then cancel out of setup.
    >
    >Scott wrote:
    >
    >>Hello all,
    >>
    >>I am having a problem with the remote agent. I don't have any problems

    installing
    >>it from the command prompt. The service is started and everything looks

    like
    >>it should. When backing up over the network it is extrememly slow. I'm

    talking
    >>about 40mb per minute. That comes out to about 14 gigin five hours and

    >>have to back up 60 gig. Not happening....
    >>When I look at the logs on the server, It tells me that the remote agent
    >>isn't even installed. I've been all over the Administrators book and can't
    >>find squat on it. Just how to install and remove it. No troubleshooting

    whatsoever.
    >>I'm not even about to try and call support after hearing the horror stories
    >>about waiting hours on hold. I work for a small company and it's really

    hard
    >>to get them to spend $$$$. I convinced them to buy new software and now

    >>can't get it to work. Please help.
    >>
    >>We were using version 6.11 until now. Seagate was a lot better and simpler.

  4. Re: Remote agent 9..0

    Scott wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I am having a problem with the remote agent. I don't have any problems installing
    >it from the command prompt. The service is started and everything looks like
    >it should. When backing up over the network it is extrememly slow. I'm talking
    >about 40mb per minute. That comes out to about 14 gigin five hours and I
    >have to back up 60 gig. Not happening....
    >When I look at the logs on the server, It tells me that the remote agent
    >isn't even installed. I've been all over the Administrators book and can't
    >find squat on it. Just how to install and remove it. No troubleshooting whatsoever.
    >I'm not even about to try and call support after hearing the horror stories
    >about waiting hours on hold. I work for a small company and it's really hard
    >to get them to spend $$$$. I convinced them to buy new software and now I
    >can't get it to work. Please help.
    >
    >We were using version 6.11 until now. Seagate was a lot better and simpler.

  5. Re: Remote agent 9..0

    It actually comes in as "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers"

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Nope, it will install as a service (BERemote as I recall) that will
    >start automatically. does that service appear in running status on the

    >remote machine?
    >
    >"Scott" scott.c2mintec.com wrote:
    >
    >>Yeah, it clearly states that it is installed and liscensed. Does anything
    >>on the client side have to be shared out or given certain permissions?
    >>
    >>Scott
    >>

    >>Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>

    >>>You say you installed the RA locally. Did you go back to the BEWS server
    >>>

    >>>and install the serial there? Unless the serial appears in Help About,
    >>>

    >>>BackupExec doesn't know about it.
    >>>
    >>>If no, just re-run setup till you get to the serials scree, enter any

    >>>that are missing, then cancel out of setup.

    >>installing

    >>like

    >>talking

    can't

    >>whatsoever.

    >>hard

  6. Re: Remote agent 9..0

    Nope, it will install as a service (BERemote as I recall) that will
    start automatically. does that service appear in running status on the
    remote machine?

    "Scott" scott.c2mintec.com wrote:

    >Yeah, it clearly states that it is installed and liscensed. Does anything
    >on the client side have to be shared out or given certain permissions?
    >
    >Scott
    >

    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >

    >>You say you installed the RA locally. Did you go back to the BEWS server
    >>

    >>and install the serial there? Unless the serial appears in Help About,
    >>

    >>BackupExec doesn't know about it.
    >>
    >>If no, just re-run setup till you get to the serials scree, enter any
    >>that are missing, then cancel out of setup.
    >>
    >>Scott wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hello all,
    >>>
    >>>I am having a problem with the remote agent. I don't have any problems
    >>>

    >installing
    >

    >>>it from the command prompt. The service is started and everything looks
    >>>

    >like
    >

    >>>it should. When backing up over the network it is extrememly slow. I'm
    >>>

    >talking
    >

    >>>about 40mb per minute. That comes out to about 14 gigin five hours and

    >>>have to back up 60 gig. Not happening....
    >>>When I look at the logs on the server, It tells me that the remote agent
    >>>isn't even installed. I've been all over the Administrators book and can't
    >>>find squat on it. Just how to install and remove it. No troubleshooting
    >>>

    >whatsoever.
    >

    >>>I'm not even about to try and call support after hearing the horror stories
    >>>about waiting hours on hold. I work for a small company and it's really
    >>>

    >hard
    >

    >>>to get them to spend $$$$. I convinced them to buy new software and now

    >>>can't get it to work. Please help.
    >>>
    >>>We were using version 6.11 until now. Seagate was a lot better and simpler.

  7. Re: Remote agent 9..0

    In article <3ecbe12e$1@hronntp01.>, scott.c@mintec.com says...
    > When I look at the logs on the server, It tells me that the remote agent
    > isn't even installed.

    If you're looking at the text that says something like "Remote Agent
    Used: No", ignore that. According to their level-2 tech, that really
    means something like "Remote agent other than the Windows remote agent,
    like, say, SQL or Exchange, used: No".

    If you can check and uncheck System State on the remote machine, you are
    connecting via the agent, not Windows networking.

    --
    Jay Levitt |
    Wellesley, MA | Hi!

+ Reply to Thread