Recovery Server with no tape drive - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Recovery Server with no tape drive - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have searched Technet, Swinc, Veritas, etc. but have found no good solution with respect to testing/verifying Exchange 5.5 backup tapes done with Backup Exec and restored to an Exchange recovery server that has no tape drive. We have only ...

  1. Recovery Server with no tape drive

    I have searched Technet, Swinc, Veritas, etc. but have found no good
    solution with respect to testing/verifying Exchange 5.5 backup tapes done
    with Backup Exec and restored to an Exchange recovery server that has no
    tape drive. We have only one major RAID server with local tape, using
    Backup Exec 7.3 Single Server Edition w/Exchange Agent, NT4.0 SP6a, Exchange
    5.5 SP4. Veritas knowledge base indicates that you cannot redirect an
    Exchange restore (with this version anyway), even to the local server much
    less to a recovery server. And since the Exchange Agent is installed and is
    used to do the online Exchange backup, the files dir.edb, priv.edb, pub.edb
    do not get backed up (log files either I don't believe) so I can't restore
    them since they're in use and do not exist on tape. Brick level backups
    were causing errors in my backup log so I disabled them (according to the
    'detailed rant against'...) And even with the 'Ed Crowley never restore
    method' in use, I need to get these tapes verified with regard to disaster
    recovery testing and recovering individual mailboxes.

    It appears that the only option I have for verifying my Exchange backups is
    to remove the internal tape drive from the server and install it in the
    recovery server temporarily? Doing that on a regular basis is not cool.
    Am I missing something here or are there any other suggestions you guy's
    have for testing Exchange backup tapes in this scenario? Short of laying
    out $1100.00 for an external tape drive...

    Thanks,

    Bruce

    Systems Manager
    Microsoft Partner

  2. Re: Recovery Server with no tape drive

    With v7.3 single server edition, you will never connect to another
    server OS machine anyway, so your only options are to either get a
    second, compatible tape drive, or to swap the drive between machines.
    (and pirate a copy of BackupExec to the recovery server also )

    Bruce Raymond wrote:

    >I have searched Technet, Swinc, Veritas, etc. but have found no good
    >solution with respect to testing/verifying Exchange 5.5 backup tapes done
    >with Backup Exec and restored to an Exchange recovery server that has no
    >tape drive. We have only one major RAID server with local tape, using
    >Backup Exec 7.3 Single Server Edition w/Exchange Agent, NT4.0 SP6a, Exchange
    >5.5 SP4. Veritas knowledge base indicates that you cannot redirect an
    >Exchange restore (with this version anyway), even to the local server much
    >less to a recovery server. And since the Exchange Agent is installed and is
    >used to do the online Exchange backup, the files dir.edb, priv.edb, pub.edb
    >do not get backed up (log files either I don't believe) so I can't restore
    >them since they're in use and do not exist on tape. Brick level backups
    >were causing errors in my backup log so I disabled them (according to the
    >'detailed rant against'...) And even with the 'Ed Crowley never restore
    >method' in use, I need to get these tapes verified with regard to disaster
    >recovery testing and recovering individual mailboxes.
    >
    >It appears that the only option I have for verifying my Exchange backups is
    >to remove the internal tape drive from the server and install it in the
    >recovery server temporarily? Doing that on a regular basis is not cool.
    >Am I missing something here or are there any other suggestions you guy's
    >have for testing Exchange backup tapes in this scenario? Short of laying
    >out $1100.00 for an external tape drive...
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Bruce
    >
    >Systems Manager
    >Microsoft Partner

  3. Re: Recovery Server with no tape drive

    Thanks Ken. That's what I was afraid of. And we don't have the budget for
    an $1100 external tape drive. But of course the alternative is even uglier.
    I'll report the facts as they are. That's all I can do.

    Thanks for the info!

    Bruce

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > With v7.3 single server edition, you will never connect to another
    > server OS machine anyway, so your only options are to either get a
    > second, compatible tape drive, or to swap the drive between machines.
    > (and pirate a copy of BackupExec to the recovery server also )
    >
    > Bruce Raymond wrote:
    >
    > >I have searched Technet, Swinc, Veritas, etc. but have found no good
    > >solution with respect to testing/verifying Exchange 5.5 backup tapes done
    > >with Backup Exec and restored to an Exchange recovery server that has no
    > >tape drive. We have only one major RAID server with local tape, using
    > >Backup Exec 7.3 Single Server Edition w/Exchange Agent, NT4.0 SP6a,

    Exchange
    > >5.5 SP4. Veritas knowledge base indicates that you cannot redirect an
    > >Exchange restore (with this version anyway), even to the local server

    much
    > >less to a recovery server. And since the Exchange Agent is installed and

    is
    > >used to do the online Exchange backup, the files dir.edb, priv.edb,

    pub.edb
    > >do not get backed up (log files either I don't believe) so I can't

    restore
    > >them since they're in use and do not exist on tape. Brick level backups
    > >were causing errors in my backup log so I disabled them (according to the
    > >'detailed rant against'...) And even with the 'Ed Crowley never restore
    > >method' in use, I need to get these tapes verified with regard to

    disaster
    > >recovery testing and recovering individual mailboxes.
    > >
    > >It appears that the only option I have for verifying my Exchange backups

    is
    > >to remove the internal tape drive from the server and install it in the
    > >recovery server temporarily? Doing that on a regular basis is not cool.
    > >Am I missing something here or are there any other suggestions you guy's
    > >have for testing Exchange backup tapes in this scenario? Short of laying
    > >out $1100.00 for an external tape drive...
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >
    > >Bruce
    > >
    > >Systems Manager
    > >Microsoft Partner

  4. Re: Recovery Server with no tape drive

    A person could theoretically order a tape drive from a company with a 30-day
    return policy. That person could install said tape drive, test a
    backup/restore and then decide to send back the merchandise. But I am
    speaking only from conjecture.

    "Bruce Raymond" wrote in message
    > Thanks Ken. That's what I was afraid of. And we don't have the budget

    for
    > an $1100 external tape drive. But of course the alternative is even

    uglier.
    > I'll report the facts as they are. That's all I can do.
    >
    > Thanks for the info!
    >
    > Bruce
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > With v7.3 single server edition, you will never connect to another
    > > server OS machine anyway, so your only options are to either get a
    > > second, compatible tape drive, or to swap the drive between machines.
    > > (and pirate a copy of BackupExec to the recovery server also )
    > >
    > > Bruce Raymond wrote:
    > >
    > > >I have searched Technet, Swinc, Veritas, etc. but have found no good
    > > >solution with respect to testing/verifying Exchange 5.5 backup tapes

    done
    > > >with Backup Exec and restored to an Exchange recovery server that has

    no
    > > >tape drive. We have only one major RAID server with local tape, using
    > > >Backup Exec 7.3 Single Server Edition w/Exchange Agent, NT4.0 SP6a,

    > Exchange
    > > >5.5 SP4. Veritas knowledge base indicates that you cannot redirect an
    > > >Exchange restore (with this version anyway), even to the local server

    > much
    > > >less to a recovery server. And since the Exchange Agent is installed

    and
    > is
    > > >used to do the online Exchange backup, the files dir.edb, priv.edb,

    > pub.edb
    > > >do not get backed up (log files either I don't believe) so I can't

    > restore
    > > >them since they're in use and do not exist on tape. Brick level

    backups
    > > >were causing errors in my backup log so I disabled them (according to

    the
    > > >'detailed rant against'...) And even with the 'Ed Crowley never

    restore
    > > >method' in use, I need to get these tapes verified with regard to

    > disaster
    > > >recovery testing and recovering individual mailboxes.
    > > >
    > > >It appears that the only option I have for verifying my Exchange

    backups
    > is
    > > >to remove the internal tape drive from the server and install it in the
    > > >recovery server temporarily? Doing that on a regular basis is not

    cool.
    > > >Am I missing something here or are there any other suggestions you

    guy's
    > > >have for testing Exchange backup tapes in this scenario? Short of

    laying
    > > >out $1100.00 for an external tape drive...
    > > >
    > > >Thanks,
    > > >
    > > >Bruce
    > > >
    > > >Systems Manager
    > > >Microsoft Partner

  5. Re: Recovery Server with no tape drive

    Of course you are, Joe. :-)

    Thanks!

    Bruce

    "Joe Stern" wrote in message