tape format - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on tape format - Veritas Backup Exec ; We received our new overland library with 2X 8000 drives. The previous library was a 4000 drive. I want to format the old tapes in the 8=overland 8000 drive but when I right click on a slot the format option ...

  1. tape format

    We received our new overland library with 2X 8000 drives. The previous library
    was a 4000 drive. I want to format the old tapes in the 8=overland 8000 drive
    but when I right click on a slot the format option is greyed out.

    How do I get BE 8.6 to format these tapes in this overland drive?

  2. Re: tape format

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >DLT drives typically do not support the FORMAT function. Is the new
    >library DLT
    >
    >The DLT8000 should be able to read/write/reuse all those old tapes with

    >no interverntion from you. Are you having specific problems useing the

    >tapes?

    I spoke with a Tech from Overland was told that in order to get anywhere
    near the claimed 80GB capacity of the DLT 8000, from the tapes that were
    previously used in the DLT 4000, the Tapes would have to be formatted in
    the DLT8000 drive.
    >Paul Spolidoro wrote:
    >
    >>We received our new overland library with 2X 8000 drives. The previous

    library
    >>was a 4000 drive. I want to format the old tapes in the 8=overland 8000

    drive
    >>but when I right click on a slot the format option is greyed out.
    >>
    >>How do I get BE 8.6 to format these tapes in this overland drive?

  3. Re: tape format

    Paul Spolidoro wrote:

    >We received our new overland library with 2X 8000 drives. The previous library
    >was a 4000 drive. I want to format the old tapes in the 8=overland 8000 drive
    >but when I right click on a slot the format option is greyed out.
    >
    >How do I get BE 8.6 to format these tapes in this overland drive?

  4. Re: tape format

    Have you tried a QuickFormat/Label?
    If this is on NT4, you could try NTBackup /NOPOLL. This functionality
    was removed in W2K NTBackup

    From Devices what is the blocksize? S/B 64K

    Paul Spolidoro wrote:

    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >

    >>DLT drives typically do not support the FORMAT function. Is the new
    >>library DLT
    >>
    >>The DLT8000 should be able to read/write/reuse all those old tapes with
    >>

    >>no interverntion from you. Are you having specific problems useing the
    >>

    >>tapes?
    >>

    >I spoke with a Tech from Overland was told that in order to get anywhere
    >near the claimed 80GB capacity of the DLT 8000, from the tapes that were
    >previously used in the DLT 4000, the Tapes would have to be formatted in
    >the DLT8000 drive.
    >

    >>Paul Spolidoro wrote:
    >>

    >>>We received our new overland library with 2X 8000 drives. The previous
    >>>

    >library
    >

    >>>was a 4000 drive. I want to format the old tapes in the 8=overland 8000
    >>>

    >drive
    >

    >>>but when I right click on a slot the format option is greyed out.
    >>>
    >>>How do I get BE 8.6 to format these tapes in this overland drive?

  5. Re: tape format

    I have not tried using NT40 backup yet. The block size reported on both of
    the DLT 8000 drives is 32K

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Have you tried a QuickFormat/Label?
    >If this is on NT4, you could try NTBackup /NOPOLL. This functionality
    >was removed in W2K NTBackup
    >
    > From Devices what is the blocksize? S/B 64K
    >
    >Paul Spolidoro wrote:
    >
    >>Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>

    >>>DLT drives typically do not support the FORMAT function. Is the new

    >>>library DLT
    >>>
    >>>The DLT8000 should be able to read/write/reuse all those old tapes with
    >>>

    >>>no interverntion from you. Are you having specific problems useing the
    >>>

    >>>tapes?
    >>>

    >>I spoke with a Tech from Overland was told that in order to get anywhere
    >>near the claimed 80GB capacity of the DLT 8000, from the tapes that were
    >>previously used in the DLT 4000, the Tapes would have to be formatted in
    >>the DLT8000 drive.

    >>library

    >>drive

  6. Re: tape format

    The block size is 32KB, I have not tried using NT40 backup as we don't have
    a server available to do this. The new library is a DLT 8000 machine.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Have you tried a QuickFormat/Label?
    >If this is on NT4, you could try NTBackup /NOPOLL. This functionality
    >was removed in W2K NTBackup
    >
    > From Devices what is the blocksize? S/B 64K
    >
    >Paul Spolidoro wrote:
    >
    >>Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>

    >>>DLT drives typically do not support the FORMAT function. Is the new

    >>>library DLT
    >>>
    >>>The DLT8000 should be able to read/write/reuse all those old tapes with
    >>>

    >>>no interverntion from you. Are you having specific problems useing the
    >>>

    >>>tapes?
    >>>

    >>I spoke with a Tech from Overland was told that in order to get anywhere
    >>near the claimed 80GB capacity of the DLT 8000, from the tapes that were
    >>previously used in the DLT 4000, the Tapes would have to be formatted in
    >>the DLT8000 drive.

    >>library

    >>drive

+ Reply to Thread